Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would encumber the Sox with another long term contract, when they really need a young athletic outfielder.

I wouldn't do it.

Can't fix everything in 1 year.

The progress in a year and a half has been remarkable, esp. considering that there has been no ding at all to the farm.

Edited by GreenSox

Get it done. This is the 2 WAR Chicago needs to really push into serious contention without breakout years from guys like Sanchez or Garcia or even regression from Alexei and Abreu.

A 3rd round pick is nothing. The expected WAR is around .2 for a career. Not much out there at that point without luck.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
Get it done. This is the 2 WAR Chicago needs to really push into serious contention without breakout years from guys like Sanchez or Garcia or even regression from Alexei and Abreu.

A 3rd round pick is nothing. The expected WAR is around .2 for a career. Not much out there at that point without luck.

The draft pick doesn't worry me nearly as much as his Terrible, nearly Viciedo bad 2013.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
The draft pick doesn't worry me nearly as much as his Terrible, nearly Viciedo bad 2013.

Well was in 88 game sample obviously brought it upon himself. Hell maybe he even knew he was gonna get the guillotine and was mentally checked out. Unlike Tank, Melky has a track record of being average or better.

It's certainly a risk anytime you sign an average player entering his decline, but I think it's a risk the Sox have to take. They have a lot of great contracts on this team, MLB revenue has reached stupid levels, spend the money. Even if it doesn't work out it's not crippling.

Well was in 88 game sample obviously brought it upon himself. Hell maybe he even knew he was gonna get the guillotine and was mentally checked out. Unlike Tank, Melky has a track record of being average or better.

It's certainly a risk anytime you sign an average player entering his decline, but I think it's a risk the Sox have to take. They have a lot of great contracts on this team, MLB revenue has reached stupid levels, spend the money. Even if it doesn't work out it's not crippling.

It is not a risk the Sox have to take by any means. Personally, I'd rather have Viciedo out there on arbitration pay than a 4 year sentence of Melky Cabrera we will be waiting out (EXACTLY LIKE DUNN). If you're gonna waste 4 years on Melky you might as well trade Anderson and get Justin Upton and pray you can lock him up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
The equivalent of Kotsay and A.Jones five years later.

As great as this off season has been so far, it has also been a big reminder at just how many holes this team had. Hard to fix it all in one off season without spending $130M in payroll.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)

Troof.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)
As great as this off season has been so far, it has also been a big reminder at just how many holes this team had. Hard to fix it all in one off season without spending $130M in payroll.

Troof.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)

Andruw Jones was pretty productive for the White Sox. The 19 homers he hit is more than Melky Cabrera has ever hit in a season. His OPS in 2010 Cabrera has bested once, the year he got busted.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
Honestly, I wouldn't care about a third rounder at that point. I think for Melky a 3rd rounder is worth it.

That's a horrible school of thought. Draft picks are highly valuable are the life blood of any good organization. Plus the system needs more depths after the trade for Shark.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 06:35 AM)
That's a horrible school of thought. Draft picks are highly . luable are the life blood of any good organization. Plus the system needs more depths after the trade for Shark.

We didn't lose that much depth. Ynoa is younger than Bassitt, Brantly (who is younger) replaces Phegley and Ravelo was pretty expendable. We did lose Semien but we won't be talking about that if he does bad and/or Johnson or Sanchez plays respectable for us.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
We didn't lose that much depth. Ynoa is younger than Bassitt, Brantly (who is younger) replaces Phegley and Ravelo was pretty expendable. We did lose Semien but we won't be talking about that if he does bad and/or Johnson or Sanchez plays respectable for us.

the sox needs more depth, how will the sox address that, via trade and / or draft pick.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 06:44 AM)

We knew what the team had in guys like Semiem, Bassit and Phegly but now he have more question marks in the minors. The team is in no position to be forfeiting draft picks, the system needs all the help it can get.

I know the farm system really can't afford to ship off any more top prospects, but I'm just throwing something out there. What would it take to bring Carlos Gonzalez over from Colorado? The Sox would have him under control for 3 seasons and he would solidify the outfield.