White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
I hope Saladino is more than a utility infielder.

If Saladino has a good glove and can hit, he can play 2B for the foreseeable future, unless Micah figures out how to play D or Sanchez learns how to hit.

Hell, if he hits good over the next two months, you might as well give him the SS position for next year while buying out Alexei's option.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
Hell, if he hits good over the next two months, you might as well give him the SS position for next year while buying out Alexei's option.

That would be ideal, as it would allow you to use that money to find a new 3rd baseman or possibly catcher.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)

Hopefully they move Alexei and that option becomes someone else's problem.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
Hopefully they move Alexei and that option becomes someone else's problem.

Pirates may have just lost their shortstop. I don't imagine Alexei'd bring back a whole lot more than salary relief.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
Pirates may have just lost their shortstop. I don't imagine Alexei'd bring back a whole lot more than salary relief.

I saw that injury. I was thinking Beckham; either one.

Alexei would bring something. His D has stabilized, he's hitting better and teams would take a flyer figuring he's better than this and when the team is so bad, players underperform.

Nothing great, but something.

I realize that Williams/Hahn love 30+ year old veterans and give them far more deference than young players, but it's time to move these stiffs out of here.

Edited by GreenSox

Random tidbit...... I got a buddy who has a buddy who went to HS with Saladino. They are all out at the bars together tonight. He said Saladino is "very Cali" in the way he talks and acts, but that he's super humble and down to Earth. Says he doesn't really stand out and is downplaying being a professional athlete. Then again, he's only a week in to this new life, so he hasn't had time for "fame" to get to him, if it will at all.

Oh yeah, and he said Tyler got his 1st big league check today. I'd expect my buddy to drink free tonight!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
Alexei would bring something. His D has stabilized, he's hitting better and teams would take a flyer figuring he's better than this and when the team is so bad, players underperform.

Nothing great, but something.

I realize that Williams/Hahn love 30+ year old veterans and give them far more deference than young players, but it's time to move these stiffs out of here.

If the Sox were in contention, would you be excited for them to pick up $4 million in salary for a guy with a .555 OPS and give up a worthwhile prospect as well?

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
If the Sox were in contention, would you be excited for them to pick up $4 million in salary for a guy with a .555 OPS and give up a worthwhile prospect as well?

No but I wasn't excited to trade our top 2 pitching prospects for a 5.16 ERA and 1.49 WHIP and pick up high salary either when marginally in the race....yet Ken Williams did just that. So we'll see.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
No but I wasn't excited to trade our top 2 pitching prospects for a 5.16 ERA and 1.49 WHIP and pick up high salary either when marginally in the race....yet Ken Williams did just that. So we'll see.

What trade was this?

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:00 AM)
NPR story on Saladino's journey...

Major League Dreams

It's actually like 5 articles on him from over the years. If you want to know everything about the guy that's the link to go to.You don't even have to read the stories. You can listen to them . :)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

So apparently my buddy just hangs out with Saladino now. Tyler is crashing at a buddy's apartment in the city for the remainder of the year. He went over to my buddy's place Monday night and they played Fifa and my buddy picked out his walk-up song that he used last night. Pretty cool, I guess I need to go visit my buddy in Chicago so I can go hang out with Saladino. :lol:

BTW, he said Chris Sale is the best one on the team in Fifa. Is that guy just good at everything?

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
So apparently my buddy just hangs out with Saladino now. Tyler is crashing at a buddy's apartment in the city for the remainder of the year. He went over to my buddy's place Monday night and they played Fifa and my buddy picked out his walk-up song that he used last night. Pretty cool, I guess I need to go visit my buddy in Chicago so I can go hang out with Saladino. :lol:

BTW, he said Chris Sale is the best one on the team in Fifa. Is that guy just good at everything?

Does every pro sports team play FIFA or something?

On the topic of Saladino, it's great to finally see a hitting prospect come up doing well for us.

I think everyone should be very mildly optimistic. He won't keep hitting like he is now given his track record, but if he can put up a .320-.330 wOBA while playing solid defense at 3B, he should be locked in at 3B or SS for us next year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
Lexi is so bad and Saladino so hot it's a no brainer. Trade Lexi now for whatever you can get for him and insert Tyler at ss. Isn't Anderson coming soon? Tyler can hold the fort til then.

fantasy time. trade lexi and if needed, if the other team doesn't resign him, resign him via fa rt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Lexi is so bad and Saladino so hot it's a no brainer. Trade Lexi now for whatever you can get for him and insert Tyler at ss. Isn't Anderson coming soon? Tyler can hold the fort til then.

Anderson is at least a year away. Let him at least get to AAA.