Gillaspie to the Angels for cash

whynotletitfly

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
So he will be back next year?

He will be brought back as a backup who understands his role as a teammate --- and then get 80% of the starts batting under the Mendoza line!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
So the Angels (1) thought there was a reasonable chance he wouldn't clear waivers and (2) wanted him badly enough that they weren't willing to risk (1).

Interesting.

Or they didn't want to wait?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/07/w...-to-the-angels/

Glad Conor gets his chance elsewhere. I would have thought he'd have been a better fit in the NL. His defense just didn't work given our issues (and it doesn't help that his bat has fallen off considerably).

The plantar fasciitis probably didn't help any of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
The plantar fasciitis probably didn't help any of that.

Doesn't appear it hurt either:

“As far as affecting me playing, it doesn’t,” Gillaspie said. “It did a little bit when I first got here, but it’s gone away. Credit to Herm for working hard with me every day on that.

“It was pretty sore this winter. I had some problems with it this winter. But it’s really not a big issue now. It could flare up, but we’ve got it pretty well under control.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Doesn't appear it hurt either:

“As far as affecting me playing, it doesn’t,” Gillaspie said. “It did a little bit when I first got here, but it’s gone away. Credit to Herm for working hard with me every day on that.

“It was pretty sore this winter. I had some problems with it this winter. But it’s really not a big issue now. It could flare up, but we’ve got it pretty well under control.”

To your point, if it was enough to effect his overall production and long-term value, the sox would have DL'd him vs. got rid of him. While it might have been a slight impact, it wasn't why he stunk defensively and I presume it isn't why over the past year, his OPS has tracked just above .600. I do think Conor has a nice swing and could be an effective bench player in the NL (as his swing looks lower maintenance...no idea if it actually is). Surprised he stuck to the AL. All that said, Conor's value is minimized by his inability to play multiple positions (so if I were him, I'd start working on my versatility).

Surprised the Angels are wasting their time on another Sox castoff. There was a time last year he had that sweet stroke going. But offseason came around and Gillaspie turned back into a pumpkin. Maybe with better instruction he'll be a good singles hitter to all fields.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
Surprised the Angels are wasting their time on another Sox castoff. There was a time last year he had that sweet stroke going. But offseason came around and Gillaspie turned back into a pumpkin. Maybe with better instruction he'll be a good singles hitter to all fields.

Freese in injured.