2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When's the last time a college coach came in and did really well in the NBA?

It's hard to think of many examples. Pitino is probably the one standout who coached both well, along with Larry Brown.

Most of the big names, though, have fallen pretty flat on their faces and returned with their tails tucked between their legs.

Can't say the Hoiberg situation has been especially surprising. Hurt both the Cyclones and the Bulls in the process.

In the end, Brad Stevens might be the best basketball coach since John Wooden. He's going to have to win some NBA titles to prove it, but he definitely has a chance if he doesn't burn out first.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)

It's hard to think of many examples. Pitino is probably the one standout who coached both well, along with Larry Brown.

Most of the big names, though, have fallen pretty flat on their faces and returned with their tails tucked between their legs.

Can't say the Hoiberg situation has been especially surprising. Hurt both the Cyclones and the Bulls in the process.

In the end, Brad Stevens might be the best basketball coach since John Wooden. He's going to have to win some NBA titles to prove it, but he definitely has a chance if he doesn't burn out first.

Billy Donovan doing it right now with the Thunder.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
Kevin Donovan doing it right now with the Thunder.

That's Billy Donovan. And gmab. He inherited a 7-foot cheat code and a cyborg that racks up triple doubles like I rack up vodka bottles. 50+ wins was a certainty. Problem is the Thunder are no closer to a title than they were with Brooks. Their offense is predictable and their defense is atrocious.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
That's Billy Donovan. And gmab. He inherited a 7-foot cheat code and a cyborg that racks up triple doubles like I rack up vodka bottles. 50+ wins was a certainty. Problem is the Thunder are no closer to a title than they were with Brooks. Their offense is predictable and their defense is atrocious.

That's what I meant lol. I graduated with a Kevin Donovan and got the names mixed up.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
Please please please no Pau Gasol next season.

I fear the Bulls may have no choice. With Gasol and Jo gone, are you ready for the Felicio era? Could get uglier. No clue who would be available in draft.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
It's really going to piss me off if the Warriors best 72-10 given how much better that Bulls team was, but now that you can't defend guards two otherworldly shooters can hit tens of 3s a game. Whee.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
This Warriors team is much better than the Bulls team from the past. Reality shouldn't piss you off.

20 years is just too big a gap when comparing teams from different eras. Maybe 10 years and you can do it. 20 is just too much. The game today is straight unrecognizable from 1996. Better or worse is opinion. Different is undeniable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
It's really going to piss me off if the Warriors best 72-10 given how much better that Bulls team was, but now that you can't defend guards two otherworldly shooters can hit tens of 3s a game. Whee.

Doesn't bother me. Just glad the douches from Miami never came close. GSW is likable and may not even win the title.

This Warriors team is much better than the Bulls team from the past. Reality shouldn't piss you off.

You were 6 years old. You have no recollection of that Bulls team so sorry, you can't really speak to how good they were.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)

What? Seriously?

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
Doesn't bother me. Just glad the douches from Miami never came close. GSW is likable and may not even win the title.

Aldridge is putting up his prime Portland numbers in the last 25-30 games or so. Combine this current version of LA and The Claw with the rest of that team? I know I tend to exaggerate at times. But this year's WCFs could be the best in nba history.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
What? Seriously?

Yeah, that is pretty bizarre. The reason big name college coaches fail at the NBA level is because they are usually hired to coach horrible teams. Stevens was 25-57 his first year, and the Celtics have improved.

Hoiberg was set up to fail. He was given the same injury plagued roster, and was replacing a competent coach.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Yeah, that is pretty bizarre. The reason big name college coaches fail at the NBA level is because they are usually hired to coach horrible teams. Stevens was 25-57 his first year, and the Celtics have improved.

Hoiberg was set up to fail. He was given the same injury plagued roster, and was replacing a competent coach.

You seriously believe that Brad Stevens will be the best coach since John Wooden? Ha.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
You seriously believe that Brad Stevens will be the best coach since John Wooden? Ha.

No way. That is insane. He has to go something like 146-8 to catch Thibs. I was just pointing out why big name college coaches usually fail. No one succeeds with bad players.

Edited by Dick Allen

Er, that's highly debatable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
20 years is just too big a gap when comparing teams from different eras. Maybe 10 years and you can do it. 20 is just too much. The game today is straight unrecognizable from 1996. Better or worse is opinion. Different is undeniable.

Bulls wouldn't sweep like Scottie said, but it'd be a blood bath of a series. The second dynasty Bulls Kay be the most well constructed team in history to take down the Warriors?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

Bulls wouldn't sweep like Scottie said, but it'd be a blood bath of a series. The second dynasty Bulls Kay be the most well constructed team in history to take down the Warriors?

With 90s rules, the Bulls likely sweep. Today's rules and the Bulls win in 5 or 6 probably.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

You would have to bench Longley completely. He would be worthless in a series like this. Rodman at the 5 and Kukoc at the 4 would be the way to go. I think defensively they would be fine, though challenged, more so than any team they saw at that time. Offensively it gets a little bit trickier. Rodman, Kukoc, Pippen, Jordan and Harper: where's the outside shooting? where's the spacing for jordan to post up or pippen to slash consistently against the top defenses of today? remember, no illegal defense. you can cheat, shade, sag, etc today without being called for illegal defense.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
With 90s rules, the Bulls likely sweep. Today's rules and the Bulls win in 5 or 6 probably.

So the Warriors get a short 3-point line to play with? This is something that's rarely discussed. The Bulls feasted on the shorter line that year. The splash brothers with a 22 foot 3 point line? Yikes.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
where's the spacing for jordan to post up or pippen to slash consistently against the top defenses of today?

Doesn't need much. Give him an inch, he'll take a mile.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Doesn't need much. Give him an inch, he'll take a mile.

I didn't mean Jordan couldn't post up at all. He'd be the best post-up guard in the game. But in 1996, you could clear out one side of the court and let him go to work. If you doubled, in 1996, you had to actually double. No inbetween. Now you can flood the strongside without hard double teaming and not get called for illegal d. That's why spacing, ball movement and shooting is so much more important in the modern game. I know you know this. just reiterating.