My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
I'd like Gyorko if they paid some of his contract but they've had the same first baseman for the last four years and he's coming off his best season yet. I wonder how cheap Chase Utley would be.

I was thinking that the other day, regarding Utley. Not sure I'd prefer him over Sanchez, but he could be a decent option on the cheap. What is his D like these days?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I was thinking that the other day, regarding Utley. Not sure I'd prefer him over Sanchez, but he could be a decent option on the cheap. What is his D like these days?

Not good, but not as bad as you'd expect for his age. He's can play 1B too and the Dodgers even somehow had him at 3B some(I live right outside of philly so I've seen him a ton). I wouldn't hate Utley on a 1 year deal, but he'd have to be a late "final piece" kind of signing after some bigger moves happened.

Olt is a young 27. Are we all OK with letting him start next year and see what we've got? Remember, Gillaspie was a starter for the Sox for a year and change ... Is it Olt time considering those 2 mammoth blasts he hit last September?

How valuable are our prospects?

I've been reading everyone's "plans" for this offseason and almost every post includes shipping off 3-5 of our top 10 prospects for a superstar player (Frazier, Longoria, Arenadolol etc).

The first time I read that we/people/whomever are skeptical that Anderson can stick at SS, I was like "Trade him now", but plenty of teams don't even need a SS, and the ones that do ALSO KNOW he might not stick at short.

The Sox have as big of a hole as any team in baseball at 2B (and I like Sanchez), and the majority of White Sox Internet Nation are ready to give up on Micah... but then they package him up in pretend trades and expect actual value in return. I don't get it.

I'd like to put a realistic, in-depth offseason plan together but I'm not sure I can just throw together "all of the prospects I don't need for this exercise" together and turn that into Todd Frazier.... thoughts?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
How valuable are our prospects?

I've been reading everyone's "plans" for this offseason and almost every post includes shipping off 3-5 of our top 10 prospects for a superstar player (Frazier, Longoria, Arenadolol etc).

The first time I read that we/people/whomever are skeptical that Anderson can stick at SS, I was like "Trade him now", but plenty of teams don't even need a SS, and the ones that do ALSO KNOW he might not stick at short.

The Sox have as big of a hole as any team in baseball at 2B (and I like Sanchez), and the majority of White Sox Internet Nation are ready to give up on Micah... but then they package him up in pretend trades and expect actual value in return. I don't get it.

I'd like to put a realistic, in-depth offseason plan together but I'm not sure I can just throw together "all of the prospects I don't need for this exercise" together and turn that into Todd Frazier.... thoughts?

Considering the fact that it was his 1st season and he was hitting reasonably well when sent down...and then raked in AAA. I don't see how Micah's value is low by any means. A guy with an elite speed tool who has shown the ability to hit at every level is an asset. Obviously I'm not saying he's an elite prospect or trade chip by any means, but I think he's a pretty darn good 2nd piece in a deal.

Personally, I don't really want to trade Micah unless it gets us an impact bat.

Frankie Montas is a top 60 prospect in all of baseball as a starting pitcher with a plus fastball. That's a lot of value, and a Montas + Micah + 1 of our B level prospects is a good package in my opinion that would at least be a very good start to the conversation for a guy like Frazier imo. But of course no where near enough to get a guy like Arenado.

Our B level prospects that I could see being traded that I think have some varying degrees of value: Jacob May, Tyler Danish, Chris Beck, Jacob Peters, Jordan Guerrero

I also think there are teams that would have no problem taking on Avi. I've seen people talk about him like he's more or less worthless. He's still only 24, he's far from a lost cause and I'm sure there are gm's/scouts that still drool over his potential. I'm sure our track record for developing hitters is no secret and someone would take a shot at "fixing" him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
I'm guessing they wanna play Rosario at 1B.

Wouldn't mind Morneau if they dump Laroche.

scs787, I have a hunch you have never seen Rosario play first base. Terrible is an understatement. That's why he was sent down mid season. He is actually worse at first than at catcher.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
Considering the fact that it was his 1st season and he was hitting reasonably well when sent down...and then raked in AAA. I don't see how Micah's value is low by any means. A guy with an elite speed tool who has shown the ability to hit at every level is an asset. Obviously I'm not saying he's an elite prospect or trade chip by any means, but I think he's a pretty darn good 2nd piece in a deal.

Personally, I don't really want to trade Micah unless it gets us an impact bat.

Frankie Montas is a top 60 prospect in all of baseball as a starting pitcher with a plus fastball. That's a lot of value, and a Montas + Micah + 1 of our B level prospects is a good package in my opinion that would at least be a very good start to the conversation for a guy like Frazier imo. But of course no where near enough to get a guy like Arenado.

Our B level prospects that I could see being traded that I think have some varying degrees of value: Jacob May, Tyler Danish, Chris Beck, Jacob Peters, Jordan Guerrero

I also think there are teams that would have no problem taking on Avi. I've seen people talk about him like he's more or less worthless. He's still only 24, he's far from a lost cause and I'm sure there are gm's/scouts that still drool over his potential. I'm sure our track record for developing hitters is no secret and someone would take a shot at "fixing" him.

You don't want to trade Micah but where are you going to play him???. He did "rake" when he was sent down but he went down because of his defense. His defense at Charlotte was not any better which is 2 seasons at AAA he has struggled defensively.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
You don't want to trade Micah but where are you going to play him???. He did "rake" when he was sent down but he went down because of his defense. His defense at Charlotte was not any better which is 2 seasons at AAA he has struggled defensively.

You saw Micah play in Charlotte? Disappointing to hear his defense wasn't better in your eyes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
Olt is a young 27. Are we all OK with letting him start next year and see what we've got? Remember, Gillaspie was a starter for the Sox for a year and change ... Is it Olt time considering those 2 mammoth blasts he hit last September?

It wouldn't be my preference.

But then again, I don't want the Sox "going for it". I want them to continue to build by making savvy deals wherever they may lie, without pressing to "fill a hole" (because the Sox have about 6 holes by my count). So if that leaves us short a 3B again, so be it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
You saw Micah play in Charlotte? Disappointing to hear his defense wasn't better in your eyes.

Twice on the road. His speed gives him range but he still makes errors. For 2 years in AAA he has put up .970 FP

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
It wouldn't be my preference.

But then again, I don't want the Sox "going for it". I want them to continue to build by making savvy deals wherever they may lie, without pressing to "fill a hole" (because the Sox have about 6 holes by my count). So if that leaves us short a 3B again, so be it.

We have Sale & Abreu under control for four more seasons each. IMO, you can have one more transition season, but need to be serious about competing by 2017. If not, then we have to seriously consider a rebuild, because we can't keep wasting away cost-controlled seasons of our two best assets.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

I just think an organization that was decent at developing talent would have found a way to use Micah by now. If we aren't going to figure it out and use him then maybe we should trade him at this point....I just hope its not just for the sake of trading him because they don't know what to do with him or how to develop him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 07:38 AM)
scs787, I have a hunch you have never seen Rosario play first base. Terrible is an understatement. That's why he was sent down mid season. He is actually worse at first than at catcher.

I have not. I just remember him being terrible behind the plate, so I assumed this is what they had in mind. Touche.

Perhaps he(Rosario) would be a target to replace LaRoche at DH?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
I just think an organization that was decent at developing talent would have found a way to use Micah by now. If we aren't going to figure it out and use him then maybe we should trade him at this point....I just hope its not just for the sake of trading him because they don't know what to do with him or how to develop him.

They turned a 9th round draft pick into a guy who played in the majors in less than three full seasons. There is nothing wrong with that.

They turned a 9th round draft pick into a guy who played in the majors in less than three full seasons. There is nothing wrong with that.

Well..yeah..there..is.

He's done MLB time and he's been sent down. He doesn't hit (when up) and his defense is atrocious.

He pretty much sucks. AT EVERYTHING - he's supposed to be good at.

Anyway - Here's MY PLAN:

Sign Cespedes (4 years at least)

Don't trade any of our pitchers

Give Avi One more Chance (Ces,Eat,Avi)

LaRoche (Who? - DFA...eat the $)

Let our SP pitch. LET THEM PITCH!!!!

That's it.

I want Cespedes IN and LaRoche OUT of my life. 5-10 WINS...right there.

2017...different plan.

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:53 PM)
Well..yeah..there..is.

He's done MLB time and he's been sent down. He doesn't hit (when up) and his defense is atrocious.

Anyway - Here's MY PLAN:

Sooooo.....nothing at 3B, C? SS?

That's it.

2017...different plan.

Soooo.....what about 3B, C, SS?

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 12:53 AM)
Well..yeah..there..is.

Anyway - Here's MY PLAN:

That's it.

2017...different plan.

Not a bad plan. Cespedes will really be expensive. I remember when Oakland orig signed him, either he or his agent said he will be out to "break the bank" when eligible for his first FA signing. Still, he would look good here.

LaRoach? Do you DFA him now, or see what he does in ST?

All those dollars can be partly justified by not signing Alexi and formally saying bye bye to Shark.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:53 PM)
Well..yeah..there..is.

Anyway - Here's MY PLAN:

That's it.

2017...different plan.

Your plan has about as much of a chance of happening as you becoming a Disney Princess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Your plan has about as much of a chance of happening as you becoming a Disney Princess.

Oh, I don't know. That plan would make the Sox legit contenders to be a .500 ball club. So there's that. :P