Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Sure he is. He signed a 184 million deal instead of a 200 million deal.

If he dislocates his hip this year he will make less money. He signed it with the intention of opting out to make more later. He is betting on himself to continue to produce at a high level for three years to make more later.

Oddly he has not really performed at that high of a level.

Over the next three years he will realistically produce what the other three big outfielders were then at 30 he will be a free agent and sign an 8 year $200M contract. Thus instead of being 35 and collecting $200M he will be 39 and will have collected $275M. Anything less than a $125M deal at age 30 is a win for him.

The whole cubbie love, cheap contract thing is all smoke and bulls*** perpetrated by a clueless Chicago media.

If Gordon signs with the White Sox WSCR will tell us how is overpaid and old when in reality over the next three years he can realistically be as productive as Heyward for about $15M less.

Personally I thought Gordon was the better fit for the cub for the short term. Moving Heyward to CF reduces his value.

Of course Heyward will hit 40 home runs a year for the next three years.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
In terms of NOW, I doubt any of the deals he was offered gave him $76 million in the first three years.

No not in the first three years but over the length of the contract.

The whole conversation started with "did he sign a discounted contract not from his home team."

As the contract stands, he did not take the most money. He took a contract with the potential to sign a bigger one later. He did not sign the contract that would pay him the most money. He could have signed a contract that would have guaranteed him more money with another team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Isn't his average about $28 million the first 3 years? Then he could opt out. He is risking about $16 million with a chance to make a lot more. If he is great, Theo probably lets him walk, and gets 3 prime years out of him, and doesn't have to pay for the decline. I still think he is going to start hitting homers, but his defense will fall off a bit. 245 pound guys legs don't age all that well IMO.

Bartolo Colon begs to differ :)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
I agree with both of these posts. Too many people buying into the "Gordon won't leave KC." Obviously there's a chance these people are right, but he's already given them a team friendly contract. This is his chance to break bank. He'd be silly to take far less money to stay with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Sox are definitely talking to Cespedes. I just think he's the back up plan at this point and the rumors are overblown.

I don't even know who Tony Cruz is.

Seriously. My Cubs buddy who is smart keeps saying, "Everybody loves the Cubs" and cites the Heyward conference.

any other targets worth noting or is just main one's at this point? if they do fail land big three is their other plans to fill needs?

Edited by soxman26

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
I agree with both of these posts. Too many people buying into the "Gordon won't leave KC." Obviously there's a chance these people are right, but he's already given them a team friendly contract. This is his chance to break bank. He'd be silly to take far less money to stay with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Sox are definitely talking to Cespedes. I just think he's the back up plan at this point and the rumors are overblown.

I don't even know who Tony Cruz is.

Seriously. My Cubs buddy who is smart keeps saying, "Everybody loves the Cubs" and cites the Heyward conference.

I think this is the key. How far over the KC offer are the sox willing to go? I have no doubt it will be more but how much?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I think this is the key. How far over the KC offer are the sox willing to go? I have no doubt it will be more but how much?

Well the rumor is the Royals offered around 4/$52M, so my guess is a lot more. The Sox just gave Melky $15M/per, don't see why they wouldn't be willing to give a much better player in Gordon close to $20M per over four seasons.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
Well the rumor is the Royals offered around 4/$52M, so my guess is a lot more. The Sox just gave Melky $15M/per, don't see why they wouldn't be willing to give a much better player in Gordon close to $20M per over four seasons.

If that's truly the case, I wonder why he hasn't signed yet. Something tells me that isn't the whole story.

Just to clarify, Melky signed a 3/42M contract that pays him 13M/14M/15M during those three years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

If KC did actually offer Gordon 4/52M, that is a low-ball offer in that the annual value doesn't even meet Melky's. I'm not a fan of signing Gordon but he's definitely better and worth more than Melky. I think 4/72M is about what Gordon ends up with unless a team goes five years.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
Just to clarify, Melky signed a 3/42M contract that pays him 13M/14M/15M during those three years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

If KC did actually offer Gordon 4/52M, that is a low-ball offer in that the annual value doesn't even meet Melky's. I'm not a fan of signing Gordon but he's definitely better and worth more than Melky. I think 4/72M is about what Gordon ends up with unless a team goes five years.

Good catch. Still, it's an insulting offer to a guy who has been one of the best position players in baseball over the past few years. My guess is the Royals have come up from that number, but it's even remotely true, there should he a large gap between K.C. and other interested suitors. He's not going to take an 8 figure discount if the years are the same.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
Good catch. Still, it's an insulting offer to a guy who has been one of the best position players in baseball over the past few years. My guess is the Royals have come up from that number, but it's even remotely true, there should he a large gap between K.C. and other interested suitors. He's not going to take an 8 figure discount if the years are the same.

I agree with ya. It really is an insulting offer considering Melky's annual salary, the fact Gordon is better than Melky and that Heyward's contract just raised the bar. To me, it sounds like KC is completely relying on a home town discount and the fact they just won a WS together. Also agree on there being a gap between KC's offer and the offers from potential suiters.

Maybe this is KC's way of "letting him down easy". IOW, were interested for only so much money, otherwise we will find someone else (Parra) for cheaper. Then they can tell the fans " well we tried to make what we felt was a fair market value offer for Alex's services and we were there right up to the end until team X made an offer Alex could not refuse". Then announce the signing of Parra! :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
What would you expect him to say at a Cubs news conference? Do players say I really wish I wasn't taking this $184 million?

"I like the public school system in Chicago."