Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/161318068/op...utfielders-left

Mystery teams would have to be Blue Jays now or Red Sox if they trade Castillo or Bradley, Jr.

Marlins added in case they trade Ozuna.

"White Sox: They've never committed more than $68 million (Jose Abreu's contract) to a free agent. They also have no interest in going beyond three years for Upton or Cespedes. Given these market conditions, you can understand the White Sox patience, though the three-year max was probably what kept them from swiping Gordon from a division rival. It would be a surprise if the Sox don't do something between now and Spring Training, because their win-now mindset gives them incentive to supplant Avisail Garcia in right field."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Chuck GarfienVerified account

‏@ChuckGarfien

A dream scenario for White Sox: Sign Cespedes to backloaded contract, sign Desmond to 1-yr deal til Tim Anderson is ready. Saladino utility.

I hope that is Mr. Reinsdorf's dream scenario as well. I would be pumped if that happened.

Well, Chuck got it half right in that Cespedes being a part of a dream scenario. I'd rather let Saladino to man SS and let some other team (SD) sign Desmond. Desmond's error total has increased in each of the last three years and maxed out at 27 in '15. No thanks!

Instead of spending in the area of 10M on Desmond, spend it on another starting pitcher or see if the Sox can sign one of Fowler or Jackson for that kind of annual salary.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:24 AM)
Because everyone who spent this off season spent on pitching. And Yankees were not involved with anyone. And a lot of teams close enough to luxury tax to point where they were not interested. Just a deep free agent class is what hurt these guys

Not just the Yankees, but also the Dodgers & Red Sox. Those are the top three spenders in baseball and none of them are involved in the OF market this year. Most of the other big spenders with outfield needs are up against the luxury tax (Tigers, Angels) and/or went with cheaper options (Giants, Nationals). The Cubs already got their OF, which eliminates them. The Phillies are tanking, which takes them out of play. The Blue Jays and the Rangers aren't desperate for OFs. The Mets are a financial mess and aren't an option. It's really been a perfect storm for the Sox. Outside the Orioles (if Davis leaves) and maybe the Cardinals, there aren't any serious competitors that look motivated to pay one of these guys $20M+ a year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
I believe the Red Sox had interest in him as well and had Abreu waited about a month or so, I think he would have ended up there (they were in the post season when Abreu signed so signing him really wasn't an option).

No. Red Sox were interested but were concerned his defense would ultimately make him a DH and they had Ortiz. Supposedly Red Sox dropped out when bidding went past $50mil.

Who is the better defensive SS, at this point, Alexei or Saladino? When you figure that out, you have my answer to the question;

Who should the Sox put there? Given equal defense, I want Saladino, with the money saved, spent elsewhere. All that is predicated on the Sox acquiring the clean up hitting outfielder.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Chuck GarfienVerified account

‏@ChuckGarfien

A dream scenario for White Sox: Sign Cespedes to backloaded contract, sign Desmond to 1-yr deal til Tim Anderson is ready. Saladino utility.

Desmond at SS is a nightmare.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/161318068/op...utfielders-left

Mystery teams would have to be Blue Jays now or Red Sox if they trade Castillo or Bradley, Jr.

Marlins added in case they trade Ozuna.

"White Sox: They've never committed more than $68 million (Jose Abreu's contract) to a free agent. They also have no interest in going beyond three years for Upton or Cespedes. Given these market conditions, you can understand the White Sox patience, though the three-year max was probably what kept them from swiping Gordon from a division rival. It would be a surprise if the Sox don't do something between now and Spring Training, because their win-now mindset gives them incentive to supplant Avisail Garcia in right field."

After reading up on it more I don't consider the Blue Jays a threat anymore. They have 4 OF, and all indications are that they're at their budget limit already (projections have them at about $145 million).

If Desmond is really a bad defensive SS, I don't want him, at any price. Spend the money on an offensively productive outfielder, and stress defense up the middle. They already have downgraded second base defense, with Lawrie instead of Sanchez. I hope that they don't downgrade SS defensively, as well. Eaton's defense in CF is not exactly Gold Glove, either.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Well, Chuck got it half right in that Cespedes being a part of a dream scenario. I'd rather let Saladino to man SS and let some other team (SD) sign Desmond. Desmond's error total has increased in each of the last three years and maxed out at 27 in '15. No thanks!

Instead of spending in the area of 10M on Desmond, spend it on another starting pitcher or see if the Sox can sign one of Fowler or Jackson for that kind of annual salary.

I'm with you on this one BlackSox13.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Like I've said, Detroit is my worry.

So, back to the original question regarding Cespedes. Can the Sox really afford this guy on a four year contract?? I know depending on the numbers but, I'm guessing $20 mil (or more) per year?

Edited by Saufley