Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
Hate this deal for a lot of reasons.

1. Avi - Eaton - Melky OF is all but confirmed. Another year of negative WAR from both corners really make acquiring Lawrie and Frazier pointless. The only internal option that maybe makes a splash just got traded for...

2. The next player to come to the White Sox and collapse. Frazier is about to cross the 30 barrier and look at his 2nd half splits last year. Look at how bad he was. Hard time seeing him turning it around, especially with the Sox track record of aging sluggers.

3. We gave up 3 dynamic players. Thompson is a great defender, Micah has that speed, Montas has the big fastball. These guys were all set to the contribute in different, meaningful ways and instead the Sox dealt them for the same exact kind of player we've seen every offseason since 2005.

1) who said we are done? It is still December

2) He was also on a s***ty team that was going downhill and was on the trade block

3) I wouldn't say any of them are dynamic yet. They have a chance but we haven't had much success with our own prospects very often so we sold high on him. Micah can't field and wasn't going to start anyways, Montas has a big fastball but no control and barely probably won't end up as a starter, and Thompson didn't exactly hit well his minors career and had one or two good months in the MLB. We sold high on them

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Avi - Eaton - Melky OF is all but confirmed. Another year of negative WAR from both corners really make acquiring Lawrie and Frazier pointless. The only internal option that maybe makes a splash just got traded for...

2. The next player to come to the White Sox and collapse. Frazier is about to cross the 30 barrier and look at his 2nd half splits last year. Look at how bad he was. Hard time seeing him turning it around, especially with the Sox track record of aging sluggers.

3. We gave up 3 dynamic players. Thompson is a great defender, Micah has that speed, Montas has the big fastball. These guys were all set to the contribute in different, meaningful ways and instead the Sox dealt them for the same exact kind of player we've seen every offseason since 2005.

1. No, it is not confirmed. We still may go after a FA OF.

2. This is my main concern.

3. Thompson is a great defended but I don't think he'll be any good as a hitter. Micah has speed and can hit, but his defense is abysmal. Montas is basically a Nate Jones-type reliever. I'm not upset with giving them up.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Please stop raining on our parade.

Thanks.

I think point 1 is open for debate. If point 1 is true, than my opinion of this deal changes significantly. I can't argue points #2 and #3. #2 is entirely plausible and #3 is factual (although I don't know that I go as far as saying dynamic..but they all have at least one outstanding tool).

1. Far from it. Sox will undoubtedly look at improving on Avi, though we'll see what can happen. And Melky posting negative WAR is unlikely.

2. This isn't LaRoche or Dunn. This is an All Star-level player, and far younger than those two were when they came over. Apples and oranges.

3. Sox gave up three players with flaws big enough they are probably an inconsistent reliever, 4th OF and possibly not major leaguer. All have SOME big tools, but also SOME big flaws.

It's a really good trade.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Mission accomplished. Williams crowded out 3promising young players so Robbie and Coope don't have to deal with them. Williams got more low OBP. Another vet slugger.

And we get the same horrendous outfield D as last year.

Horrible trade

No need to tell us your opinion on the trade, if we didn't trade for 3 guys under 20 that each had 15 years of control left then you weren't going to be happy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Montas has a big arm, can hit 100 and his slider is nasty at times. But his command is rough on all his pitches, his mechanics are inconsistent, and he is far too gun-happy which makes his pitches flatten. He's a reliever, and it isn't guaranteed even that will work.

Thompson is a solid 4th OF right now, with a ceiling of a starting CF regular, but that's a roll of the dice.

Micah can hit in the majors and has game-changing speed, but he can't defend his position at second and can't handle other positions. Plus he has repeated health issues.

The Sox got an All Star-level 3B for at least two years, for that? Win. Big win. And this coming from a guy who follows (and writes about) the minor league system closely.

I agree with your assessment on all three. Only real wild card is Thompson. Micah and Montas have huge question marks and even if they pan out will be flawed players that limit their upside as regulars.

Sox are trading from depth and I like it.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Why is everyone sweating Thompson?

He played well late last season in meaningless games. Sox sold high.

I know, right? Thompson reminds me of the brief Jerry Owens fad, another guy who only looked good in meaningless late-season games who then turned out to be worthless right afterwards. I doubt that Thompson will ever hit well enough to be more than a 4th OF.

The Sox badly needed some real position players and now 3B is taken care of with Frazier, a proven MLB player. Who in their right mind wouldn't want that after what we've had to suffer through the past few years?

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

You could copy this post from a few years ago and interject Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens and pick a pen arm. Thats about what I think of the prospects we traded.

Of course Brian Anderson's numbers were WAY better than Trayce Thompsons in the minors.

Sox never acquired a guy with this kind of defense before for the "Oh no, another vet slugger with low OBP" crowd. I'm not the biggest Frazier fan, but he's pretty much a rich man's Joe Crede. You take that every time. I'm more concerned with Lawrie's D at 2B (his bat is going to be great there) and Melky and/or Avi still in the OF (not done yet. :)) We still need to see what we do at SS, but I like Frazier for his positive defense alone. One of the best in the game.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
This takes the CarGo deal away which is fine. It's Upton or Cespedes now. Really love the deal from our side.

I'm ok (don't love it, don't hate it) with the deal but I still think the Sox need more. Right now I still don't think this is a playoff team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
1. Far from it. Sox will undoubtedly look at improving on Avi, though we'll see what can happen. And Melky posting negative WAR is unlikely.

2. This isn't LaRoche or Dunn. This is an All Star-level player, and far younger than those two were when they came over. Apples and oranges.

3. Sox gave up three players with flaws big enough they are probably an inconsistent reliever, 4th OF and possibly not major leaguer. All have SOME big tools, but also SOME big flaws.

It's a really good trade.

1. Why on Earth is "Melky doing what he's done 3 of his last 4 non-steroid years" considered unlikely?

2. "Far younger"? Dunn came over for his age 31 season, Frazier will be 30 next year? And Dunn was 21st in MVP voting the year before we got him.

You can like the deal without exaggerating.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
The one thing that does scare me about this is that Frazier seems like the exact guy that will completely fall apart here but it's worth the risk with the package of players we gave up.

I'm thinking positive!! Our allstar third baseman!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
I think point 1 is open for debate. If point 1 is true, than my opinion of this deal changes significantly. I can't argue points #2 and #3. #2 is entirely plausible and #3 is factual (although I don't know that I go as far as saying dynamic..but they all have at least one outstanding tool).

The only thing I'm worried about is Frazier turning into an Adam when he gets here. Maybe the HR Derby threw Frazier off.

I highly doubt that Melky/Eaton/Avi is going to be the starting outfield on opening day. Expect more.

Micah couldn't play defense and Trayce Thompson was probably just another Brian Anderson or Jordan Danks - above average outfield defense without a lick of hitting.

I don't know man... what else could Hahn have done? I mean none of us were happy with things the way they were. At least we have some buzz going.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
It needs to be repeated every four posts or so, because it's that important: If this is not followed by the acquisition of a good outfielder, it is a horrible trade.

LOL, why? We gave up next to nothing for an excellent middle of the order 3B with plus D.