Your Saladino 2016 Offensive Projections

Marky Mark

It's one of those, have to take the organization's word for it things.

You're right, those evaluations are much more difficult to make at the minor league level due to field conditions and even more variance with scoring decisions and the tracking methods for defensive ratings systems are just evolving for the minors at this point.

It is a bit curious that Saladino didn't receive MORE playing time the final two months of 2015 at that position so we would have a much better idea going into 2016. That was a missed opportunity that probably has more to do with "respect for Alexei and his future free agency" than what was best for the team moving forward. I guess we can give the benefit of the doubt, but they SHOULD have known what they were planning to do with Ramirez by the time of the trade deadline. They could have at least split time or maybe even played Alexei in the OF or at 2B or even 3B to demonstrate his positional versatility. Playing him at 2B wouldn't have mattered, as they clearly weren't 100% confident in Carlos Sanchez moving forward as a full-time player in an "all-in" year.

.225, 4HR, 172B, 35RBI.

I think he plays maybe 100-120 games at SS. Sanchez filling 40-60, and Sanchez filling in 20-40 at 2B, so essentially playing half the games somewhere.

Sanchez line:

.270, 4HR, 172B, 35rbi

basically what I'm saying is Sanchez is better, will win some time at SS, but ultimately wont be as strong as a defender. I think he'll win week stretches when his bat is hot where he starts 6 of 7 games though.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
.225, 4HR, 172B, 35RBI.

I think he plays maybe 100-120 games at SS. Sanchez filling 40-60, and Sanchez filling in 20-40 at 2B, so essentially playing half the games somewhere.

Sanchez line:

.270, 4HR, 172B, 35rbi

basically what I'm saying is Sanchez is better, will win some time at SS, but ultimately wont be as strong as a defender. I think he'll win week stretches when his bat is hot where he starts 6 of 7 games though.

The only thing Sanchez does better than Saladino as a hitter in make more contact. Tyler will draw significantly more walks, has more power, and is a far better base-stealer. If each were given a full season of at-bats, I fully expect Saladino to put up the superior offensive season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
The only thing Sanchez does better than Saladino as a hitter in make more contact. Tyler will draw significantly more walks, has more power, and is a far better base-stealer. If each were given a full season of at-bats, I fully expect Saladino to put up the superior offensive season.

I think minor league stats over the past 3-4 years would go against that theory.

Also there's a reason Saladino is 27 and just sniffing the majors. Sanchez is the higher talent everywhere except defensively, and that isn't calling him a slouch, hes actually quite good.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
If Saladino gave us .250 with 10-12 homers, 20 stolen bases, and solid defense next season, I know that I'd be more than happy.

Those numbers would essentially be what Alexei put up last year, but Saladino would be doing it for the minimum.

That would be a steady, rather unspectacular but very welcome line if Saladino can post those #'s.

I remember seeing Saladino play 3-5 games at SS and making 2 or 3 incredible plays, displaying an above average arm for SS and I remember him being an absolute monster at 3b. I really think he will translate to a +7-10 DRS type guy at SS.

Offensively...

.230/.280/.350, but over a full year he will probably crack 10 homers and swipe 20+ bags; however, paired with his strong defense and a good line-up around him, he is definitely a viable starting SS.

I think Tyler is going to be borderline "acceptable" as a whole at SS. He's going to play plus defense, play with a higher motor & I expect to see subtle improvements.

It's worth keeping in mind that he is expected to be a 1-2 year stop gap, with a large amount of optimism that Tim Anderson will kill it in AAA this year & be a mid-season call up.

With that being said, here are my projections:

.230 AVG/ 10 HR/ 45 RBI/ 15 SB/ .280 OBP w/ plus defense.