2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

46 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Really hoping Beer is available at 46 and we take him.  I don't care if he can only play 1st/DH, his bat is too good to pass over.  

He hasn't really shown he can hit with a wood bat and his defense limits him to 1B. I'd rather get something more exciting at 46 than a bat only 1B whose bat might not be all that great.

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

He hasn't really shown he can hit with a wood bat and his defense limits him to 1B. I'd rather get something more exciting at 46 than a bat only 1B whose bat might not be all that great.

RW: Can an NL team draft Seth Beer with hopes that maybe he fits in at 1B or, wishcast on him in LF? 
Keith Law: They can do that. There is no rule against them doing so. There’s also nothing stopping me from laughing at them.

From today's chat.

Seems Law thinks that even 1B might be a stretch. He buys the bat though.

Edited by DirtySox

14 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, he raves about He Who Cannot be Named.

He was certainly high on him before anyone else, but I mean in a prospect chat would he actually talk POSITIVELY about a guy, or just say what their weaknesses are and be too afraid to call someone an ace or an all-star.

Like I feel like if you asked him about Madrigal, he would say something like "The kid is barely taller than me and can't even play college SS".

15 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t understand why Mize is almost consensus 1.  I guess taking a pitcher #1 seems like you’re giving away the chance of 4WAR every day for 4WAR every 5th day.  

If I had the first pick every year I think i’d always take the best position player.   2nd pick is a whole different story.  

Just not sold on Detroit going pitcher with the state of their rebuild. 

Bats get you to the playoffs. Killer starting staffs win you the World Series.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Huh?

Bohm has a strong, wiry frame and, though it may take a swing tweak to unlock it's full potential in games, he has among the best raw power and power projection in the entire draft. His swing is too contact-oriented. Many college programs emphsize contact-oriented swings because college defenses are bad and the bats allow you to hit for power anyway. Bohm would likely benefit, long-term, from a swing that better loads his hands to take advantage of his strength and that lets him extend his arms more. This would likely cost him some contact ability, but he has a 9% K rate this year due in part to surprising feel to hit, so there's lots of room for more whiffs before they become an issue.

While currently athletic enough to stay at third, Bohm's broad frame is likely to add some weight over the next few years, and he may have to move down the defensive spectrum. This, plus an extrapolated swing change...

He is not an out of box power hitter.

If you believe that Hostetler is usually coy about whom they are targeting, you might suspect that India is on that list their top 7 guys, to which he alluded. It's curious that he didn't mention India, in view of the fact that they have obviously seen quite a bit of him, even if only incidentally, while scouting his teammate, Singer. India is ranked between #5 and #9 on several mock draft lists. Yet, no mention of him, at all, in the interview. You all know that the Gator third baseman is my pick, over Madrigal, so I hope that this oversight was an intentional misdirection.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

From today's chat.

Seems Law thinks that even 1B might be a stretch. He buys the bat though.

Cool. I don't necessarily buy Law. Fangraphs has him as a 40 hit tool, and in situations where he's had opportunities to hit with a wood bat, such as the collegiate team USA, he's struggled. I'd rather have a potential starter with a great pitch mix who needs some refinement or a position player who plays a premium position and is a lot closer to a 5 tool guy. Beer has one very loud tool (power) that you'd better hope carries him, because he'll bust out otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Cool. I don't necessarily buy Law. Fangraphs has him as a 40 hit tool, and in situations where he's had opportunities to hit with a wood bat, such as the collegiate team USA, he's struggled. I'd rather have a potential starter with a great pitch mix who needs some refinement or a position player who plays a premium position and is a lot closer to a 5 tool guy. Beer has one very loud tool (power) that you'd better hope carries him, because he'll bust out otherwise.

I would never suggest drafting for need, but Beer just doesn’t make much sense for us given where the organization currently stands.  We’re flush with OF and potential 1B/DH talent and my guess there will be other prospects in the draft ranked pretty similarly that would provide better depth.

• Like 1

There are so many fun prep and more multi-faceted projects that should be around at 2, i'd seriously rather just bet on spillane in a stretch in round 3 than using our 2nd for beer.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are so many fun prep and more multi-faceted projects that should be around at 2, i'd seriously rather just bet on spillane in a stretch in round 3 than using our 2nd for beer.

This. Give me a high upside HS bat in the second (Schnell?) and then take a guy like Spillane or Luken Baker in rounds 3-5. They both probably have as much power potential as Beer but better defensive value (Baker is safer at first and Spillane may be able to play RF). 

8 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

This. Give me a high upside HS bat in the second (Schnell?) and then take a guy like Spillane or Luken Baker in rounds 3-5. They both probably have as much power potential as Beer but better defensive value (Baker is safer at first and Spillane may be able to play RF). 

Madrigal in the 1st & Schnell in the 2nd sounds like a fantastic first day for me!

17 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t understand why Mize is almost consensus 1.  I guess taking a pitcher #1 seems like you’re giving away the chance of 4WAR every day for 4WAR every 5th day.  

If I had the first pick every year I think i’d always take the best position player.   2nd pick is a whole different story.  

Just not sold on Detroit going pitcher with the state of their rebuild. 

Because he's clearly the best player in this draft class. It's really hard to find true #1 starters and he is one. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Madrigal in the 1st & Schnell in the 2nd sounds like a fantastic first day for me!

I just don't see any way in which they can slide Nick Schnell to #46. Someone will take him before that and the White Sox won't have enough savings on #4 to make a deal with him. If they "have to have" Nick Schnell then they need to underslot him at #4 in my opinion. Hostetler has alluded to him for the last month though. Hostetler has been saying 6-7 guys in their "mix at #4" and one additional guy in the north that they just started to get a look at. That was like 4 weeks ago. Everyone assumed that he meant Jarred Kelenic. He actually meant Nick Schnell. Now, he could be 100% lying that Schnell is actually in the mix but if he's being honest then he's an option. Even Mayo said he's a backup plan. I think there's a scenario where it's an option though. Lets say the Sox really love Mize, Singer and Madrigal and would take any of the 3. It's conceivable that all 3 could be gone when they pick. In that case, they may believe that giving Schnell something in the $3-$3.5 million range and saving $7 million is a better use of resources than paying Bohm, Bart, Swaggerty etc the full $6.4 million slot. I think something like that is the only way though. I still think Singer is the pick if available. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don't see any way in which they can slide Nick Schnell to #46. Someone will take him before that and the White Sox won't have enough savings on #4 to make a deal with him. If they "have to have" Nick Schnell then they need to underslot him at #4 in my opinion. Hostetler has alluded to him for the last month though. Hostetler has been saying 6-7 guys in their "mix at #4" and one additional guy in the north that they just started to get a look at. That was like 4 weeks ago. Everyone assumed that he meant Jarred Kelenic. He actually meant Nick Schnell. Now, he could be 100% lying that Schnell is actually in the mix but if he's being honest then he's an option. Even Mayo said he's a backup plan. I think there's a scenario where it's an option though. Lets say the Sox really love Mize, Singer and Madrigal and would take any of the 3. It's conceivable that all 3 could be gone when they pick. In that case, they may believe that giving Schnell something in the $3-$3.5 million range and saving $7 million is a better use of resources than paying Bohm, Bart, Swaggerty etc the full $6.4 million slot. I think something like that is the only way though. I still think Singer is the pick if available. 

Feels like Schnell at 46 overslot is more likely than schnell at 4. Crappy midwest weather, below average runner, you could see some looking elsewhere in a deep class.

I'm not that worried. In terms of player type in this draft I'd like if we could pull off

round 1 - college hitter

round 2 - prep pitcher

round 3 - prep hitter

round 4 - college pitcher

round 5 - college pitcher

then a bunch of college hitters and after 8 whatever.