Tommy Kahnle

reiks12

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
We bring players on board through free agency, the draft or trades and help them develop into successful contributors. All the while complaining as the struggle and learn and develop presumably because they aren't hall of fame level contributors from the get go. Once they find it and succeed we start calling for them to be traded for someone or something. Don't know what or who that might be. How do you build a winning team with that approach?

Especially a team that is in desperate need of position players keeps acquiring pitchers. A rebuild can be a wasted effort if the scouting and development is inadequate. If that is failing which it seems it has you would think they would replace some instructors. There never seems to be a shortage of baseball dumb guys on this team.

If Kahnle has harnessed his control (which I thought highly unlikely 2 months ago), he's likely going to be a darn good reliever. The Ks are there, which as a great predictive stat, suggest this has staying power. Trading now is likely selling low, and for sure would net nothing more than a modest prospect.

We have plenty of other players to trade anyway (although it would be nice if Melky and Frazier would awaken from their comas) ...and at Hahn speed, there likely will be a surplus left over on August 1.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Because 2 months ago he was a pitcher we viewed as not being able to find the strike zone. The way baseball players are valued is not static.

I am new but have followed the Sox for quite a while. I am going to take this rebuild nice and slow. No use worrying about something I have absolutely no control over. If they complete the process in 2-3 or 4 years and it yields a competitive team that is challenging every year for a championship then great. If not well just take it one year at a time.

I don't expect the Sox to be competitive in either of the next 2 seasons, and there are very few relievers I'd feel confident in saying they'll be productive in 2019 and beyond. Expecting relievers to be a legitimate part of a long-term rebuild seems like a fool's errand to me. If any contender is willing to trade prospects that would crack the Sox top 10 then they should absolutely be willing to trade Kahnle.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
We bring players on board through free agency, the draft or trades and help them develop into successful contributors. All the while complaining as the struggle and learn and develop presumably because they aren't hall of fame level contributors from the get go. Once they find it and succeed we start calling for them to be traded for someone or something. Don't know what or who that might be. How do you build a winning team with that approach?

I don't think the rebuilding people complain about guys acquired. They will give them all the time they need. They love the new names and want more of them all the time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)

The problem (as evidenced by the seasonal records for most of the past 10 years) is that the Sox haven't been developing enough players who can actually play out of their farm system and regarding trading for guys, that basically hasn't worked out very well either.

Over the last few seasons specifically the top six or seven guys on the roster could play with anyone in baseball. The issue was the other 15 or so guys who were mediocre at best often borderline MLB players. There was simply no quality depth on the roster so that when injuries happened there was no one remotely capable of being called up or filling the hole.

The records for the past seasons doesn't lie.

Massive changes are (were) needed. Since ownership wasn't going to change and the front office wasn't going to change and the financial situation (real or self imposed) wasn't going to change, this "rebuild" philosophy was the best that could be done in my opinion.

We'll see if it eventually works out.

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 13, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't think the rebuilding people complain about guys acquired. They will give them all the time they need. They love the new names and want more of them all the time.

Actually Greg, I think the "rebuild" people basically want one thing...to start winning again. It wasn't happening over the last decade with the philosophy in place.

It was time for a change.

Just my opinion.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 13, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
Actually Greg, I think the "rebuild" people basically want one thing...to start winning again. It wasn't happening over the last decade with the philosophy in place.

It was time for a change.

Just my opinion.

Exactly. The old way of doing things wasn't working so it was time to change the approach to building a contender and rebuilding the farm is one of those changes that needed to be made.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 13, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't expect the Sox to be competitive in either of the next 2 seasons, and there are very few relievers I'd feel confident in saying they'll be productive in 2019 and beyond. Expecting relievers to be a legitimate part of a long-term rebuild seems like a fool's errand to me. If any contender is willing to trade prospects that would crack the Sox top 10 then they should absolutely be willing to trade Kahnle.

I can't see a team being willing to part with significant prospects for kahnle given such a short track record of success though. We're better off keeping him and Fielding calls for Robertson and Jones who are much more proven options.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 13, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Exactly. The old way of doing things wasn't working so it was time to change the approach to building a contender and rebuilding the farm is one of those changes that needed to be made.

Well and also the Sox had really really good cores that were worth supplementing the last 17 years. I just feel like the extra 10-20M that was needed each year to finish the job was never there.

We'll probably have this same problem again starting in 2021 or so.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 13, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Well and also the Sox had really really good cores that were worth supplementing the last 17 years. I just feel like the extra 10-20M that was needed each year to finish the job was never there.

We'll probably have this same problem again starting in 2021 or so.

Maybe...all depends if new ownership is in place by that time.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 13, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
I can't see a team being willing to part with significant prospects for kahnle given such a short track record of success though. We're better off keeping him and Fielding calls for Robertson and Jones who are much more proven options.

I don't consider Jones a "proven option" though. He just can't stay healthy and has had some serious injuries in his short career.

Given that he is hurt again with no timetable for a return I don't think you'll get much for him assuming he comes back and someone is interested.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 17, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)
Just read a report that Kahnle got into it with Latroy Hawkins when they were teammates with Rockies back in 2015. Name calling on the part of Hawkins.

Mike Recchia (ex-sox farmhand) sprinted to his defense and got into it with Hawkins on twitter today, says he was one of the nicest dude's he ever played with and everyone loved him, take it FWIW

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
When LaTroy was with the Cubs, he lived in a building right where LaSalle and Clark meet on the south end of Lincoln Park. My friend lived on the same floor, and LaTroy had 2 apartments. One was just filled with shoes.

I guess if you have the money you can totally rent out a second place for storage.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 17, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I guess if you have the money you can totally rent out a second place for storage.

Yeah, but I think if you have a second place just for shoes, you have to be a douchebag, even if you're a nice guy. TBH, I have heard only good things about LaTroy Hawkins the person.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, but I think if you have a second place just for shoes, you have to be a douchebag, even if you're a nice guy. TBH, I have heard only good things about LaTroy Hawkins the person.

My guess is the close to 20 year age difference may have had something to do with Kahnle and Amelda Marcos not getting along.