Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
Dude. This is the epitome of hero worship.

LOL

No, it's a request to have some semblance of competence on this team. There is no one - not one bullpen pitcher - who should be on a major league roster. Not one.

Do you think a game like this and loss after loss helps development?

And Petricka - good lord, he's never been any good at all.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
LOL

No, it's a request to have some semblance of competence on this team. There is no one - not one bullpen pitcher - who should be on a major league roster. Not one.

The vast majority of this roster is playing for their major league livelihood.

Wins & losses at this stage will have very little impact on their development.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
Herm Edwards Logic: "You play to win the game. Hello. You play to win the game."

Clearly the Sox are doing a great job of that this year.

LOL

At what point since Quintana has been traded have they shown any semblance of being a competent team?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:22 AM)
LOL

You say this, but all I hear is pining for Tyler f***ing Clippard.

LOL

This year is not about development for about 90% of the roster. Let me put it this way, how many guys in the bullpen do you expect to be on our next playoff team? I can about promise you that Tyler Clippard won't be.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 06:22 AM)
LOL

No, it's a request to have some semblance of competence on this team.

It's a reasonable request. Some people still get mad at losses like last night. Sox are in tank mode. I'm sure Green Sox realizes it but it still can be frustrating to see your team blow games like that.

I wish some poster would make a thread that tracks how all of our former players are doing. I watched Robertson get a save last night. I haven't heard much about any of the former Sox now on other teams.

It would be cool to have day to day updates on each of them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
I wish some poster would make a thread that tracks how all of our former players are doing. I watched Robertson get a save last night. I haven't heard much about any of the former Sox now on other teams.

lol, why? Who cares.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
I would be fine if I never heard the Sox and Astros speculated as trading partners again the future. The process with them is fatiguing.

Great post, Lamar. We need to see more of your posts IMO.

I have been intrigued by that Kemp guy. We should make sure he's the player to be named. Throw in Miguel to make sure it's Kemp. If next year is another throwaway year I wouldn't mind seeing that Kemp guy lead off.

What did people think was going to happen after trading so many bullpen pieces? Sorry but games like last night should be expected. Or did people really think that Bummer/Minaya/Petricka would be able to replace Swarzak/Kahnle/Robertson that easily?

You are more than welcome to.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)

I have been intrigued by that Kemp guy. We should make sure he's the player to be named. Throw in Miguel to make sure it's Kemp. If next year is another throwaway year I wouldn't mind seeing that Kemp guy lead off.

This post is just great. Sums up how greg's brain works perfectly.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
lol, why? Who cares.

Only those who cling to the past. With names like Moncada, Jimenez, Lopez, Hansen, Giolito, Burger, Sheets, Dunning etc in the system, I could care less what happens to a majority of who the Sox have traded.

I thought about making this its own topic:

cratering the bullpen is a genius method of tanking. The bullpen is not only the most easily fixed component on the next good Sox team, it's also the area you can stack losses (like last night) while some of your younger guys show out like Rodon, Leury and Delmonico did.

Just more credit to Hahn really.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)

You just get denser every year. THE SOX WILL SUCK NEXT YEAR!!! GET OVER IT!

I wonder how much leverage the Sox had in the negotiations. Did we ever learn whether Houston claimed him, or if he passed through waivers unclaimed? If the latter, the Sox could negotiate with any team. If the former, the Sox could only negotiate with Houston, and the only alternative to making a deal with them was to keep Clippard for the rest of the season.

Also, I imagine that Clippard is far happier to be pitching for Houston than the Sox for the rest of this season. He has a chance at a championship. I would think that would be a good message to send to players that we might sign in the off-season -- if you sign with the Sox, they'll work with you and give you a chance to latch onto a contender in the middle of the season.

QUOTE (soxtalker999 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
I wonder how much leverage the Sox had in the negotiations. Did we ever learn whether Houston claimed him, or if he passed through waivers unclaimed? If the latter, the Sox could negotiate with any team. If the former, the Sox could only negotiate with Houston, and the only alternative to making a deal with them was to keep Clippard for the rest of the season.

Also, I imagine that Clippard is far happier to be pitching for Houston than the Sox for the rest of this season. He has a chance at a championship. I would think that would be a good message to send to players that we might sign in the off-season -- if you sign with the Sox, they'll work with you and give you a chance to latch onto a contender in the middle of the season.

Good points. There's only positives to this deal. Hahn has shown he's a hard worker.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:06 PM)
lol, why? Who cares.

I just like to see how they are doing now that they escaped GRate Field and the Sox zoo so to speak.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
You are more than welcome to.

I said "I wish." I can wish can't I?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
This post is just great. Sums up how greg's brain works perfectly.

What's wrong with wanting Kemp in a throwaway year? Throwaway means losing year. Everybody said we're gonna lose next year.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
I thought about making this its own topic:

cratering the bullpen is a genius method of tanking. The bullpen is not only the most easily fixed component on the next good Sox team, it's also the area you can stack losses (like last night) while some of your younger guys show out like Rodon, Leury and Delmonico did.

Just more credit to Hahn really.

I don't know if I'd "credit" Hahn for this. But you are right. Cratering the bullpen does assure losing. However ... he'd have gotten rid of all the starters too if anybody wanted Holland, Pelphrey or Miguel. Having no starters works too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
You just get denser every year. THE SOX WILL SUCK NEXT YEAR!!! GET OVER IT!

I know. That's why I said throwaway year. What do u think throwaway year means? Why can't a guy like Kemp lead off for a year? He intrigues me. Lot of pop and minor league production for a little guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
I know. That's why I said throwaway year. What do u think throwaway year means? Why can't a guy like Kemp lead off for a year? He intrigues me. Lot of pop and minor league production for a little guy.

You said "if" next year is a throw away year. There's no if involved here whatsoever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
You said "if" next year is a throw away year. There's no if involved here whatsoever.

Simple semantics, no need for you to freak out. I should have put "since" instead of it. My bad.

That's like checking your ex's Facebook. Gotta let it go man

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
Only those who cling to the past. With names like Moncada, Jimenez, Lopez, Hansen, Giolito, Burger, Sheets, Dunning etc in the system, I could care less what happens to a majority of who the Sox have traded.

Right? All the former Sox players I care about are retired.