White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They wouldn't even be talking about it unless JR signed off on it as a directive.

Lots of people have been saying that it might be a ruse. They give this presentation, low ball Harper and Machado at 250m, then tell the fan base "oh well, we tried"

5 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

You used Brian Duensing as an example. That’s pretty solid.

Are you deliberately missing the point ? Brian Duensing was a minor FA signing yet they gave him a presentation that he loved and he accepted less money from the Cubs because of it.  If you go all out to sign a minor FA imagine the presentation for a guy like Harper or Machado. Not saying Harper will sign for less just that you're ignoring how important the presentation is is just pitiful. Yes the money matters but the presentation , showing the player how he and his family will be treated and the direction the team is going matters too. EVERY SINGLE TEAM  does it. NO ONE just says here's our offer take it or leave it.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

You haven't demonstrated anything that even hints at supporting your "theory", so that puts him +1 on you.

Because that’s what I’m posting for! I’ll give him +100.

It’s already been mentioned that ARod signed his deal with a last place team. That would be the Texas Rangers. What was their pitch? The weather in Texas? The $$$ spoke. Harper is ready to cash in. If the offer only comes out to $25 million a year he’s not coming here. Thus, the reason majority on here say he’s not coming is because we won’t spend. That makes me ask “ what’s the point then?” 

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

It’s already been mentioned that ARod signed his deal with a last place team. That would be the Texas Rangers. What was their pitch? The weather in Texas? The $$$ spoke. Harper is ready to cash in. If the offer only comes out to $25 million a year he’s not coming here. Thus, the reason majority on here say he’s not coming is because we won’t spend. That makes me ask “ what’s the point then?” 

Who said they're not spending?

7 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If the White Sox offer Harper $100 million more than any other team, like what happened with A Rod, you are correct, the pitch won't matter.  One thing you do forget with ARod, is that he had his contract adjusted to move to NY. In fact, he agreed to adjust it even more to go to Boston, but the player's association said no dice.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something to ponder:  rumor is Sox put together a Manny presentation a few weeks ago. Why is the Harper one being done now?  Does that mean Manny signaled he’s going elsewhere?

Has it even been confirmed that is what it was? I mentioned that what I thought was a possibility. It also may be since Harper tweeted wearing a Bulls hat, the Bulls decided to put something together to tweet back at him. Or it could be Bulls employees messing around. Or it could be that have a presentation for him made, but since the tweet with the Bulls hat, decided to add to it. 

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something to ponder:  rumor is Sox put together a Manny presentation a few weeks ago. Why is the Harper one being done now?  Does that mean Manny signaled he’s going elsewhere?

Manny would be an idiot to rule out a bidder so early.

Reality is this is all speculation, and fun speculation, but we have no idea if this was even a white sox thing at this point.

20 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Some people need more than that.  It really is that simple.  While money might be the primary factor, it might not be in specific cases.  As has been clearly demonstrated here, all of the other teams involved in this process will be doing the same types of things, so it would actually look WORSE to not have something prepared.

Who are the main Manny suitors? Phillies (if they miss out on Harper)? Cardinals / Giants. It seems like people are going to first go after Harper and than may subsequently pivot to Machado.  This is going to drag out and I don't know if the Sox can wait for everything to drag out. Will be interesting to see how teams operate, do you wait for the big fish and potentially miss out or does the entire market literally drag until the two big guys sign.  You know Boras isn't going to have Harper sign until at least the winter meetings.  

30 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Lots of people have been saying that it might be a ruse. They give this presentation, low ball Harper and Machado at 250m, then tell the fan base "oh well, we tried"

So the Sox setup a leak (and removed the tweet) with Harper #34 across a banner and put a jersey on the Jordan statue (though kept this to themselves) all to trick Sox fans into thinking they tried to sign Harper? C’mon, that’s ridiculous .

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

I think what was shared by UC employees was related to a video presentation they're putting together or the tech staff running a trial run for a meeting. Nothing is pertinent or happening today.

What's interesting is the first person who put out the picture was quickly told by the UC to take it down. Of course people screenshotted and other people were there but just kind of funny that someone was unaware enough to post on Twitter and not realize their employer would be upset about it or that it would become a sports radio segment within the hour.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Some people need more than that.  It really is that simple.  While money might be the primary factor, it might not be in specific cases.  As has been clearly demonstrated here, all of the other teams involved in this process will be doing the same types of things, so it would actually look WORSE to not have something prepared.

The thought process is so backwards its really not worth trying to convincing him at this point.

Harper has never been a FA before. This may be his one big FA signing. Why wouldnt you do everything to make the best case to sign. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Who are the main Manny suitors? Phillies (if they miss out on Harper)? Cardinals / Giants. It seems like people are going to first go after Harper and than may subsequently pivot to Machado.  This is going to drag out and I don't know if the Sox can wait for everything to drag out. Will be interesting to see how teams operate, do you wait for the big fish and potentially miss out or does the entire market literally drag until the two big guys sign.  You know Boras isn't going to have Harper sign until at least the winter meetings.  

Haven't heard giants. But never ruling LAD/NYY out for any big signing. ATL? AZ? Cubs, sox, 

Just now, raBBit said:

I think what was shared by UC employees was related to a video presentation they're putting together or the tech staff running a trial run for a meeting. Nothing is pertinent or happening today.

What's interesting is the first person who put out the picture was quickly told by the UC to take it down. Of course people screenshotted and other people were there but just kind of funny that someone was unaware enough to post on Twitter and not realize their employer would be upset about it or that it would become a sports radio segment within the hour.

It was his kid not the employee. The employee didnt realize his kid would want to become internet famous. 

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So the Sox setup a leak (and removed the tweet) with Harper #34 across a banner and put a jersey on the Jordan statue (though kept this to themselves) all to trick Sox fans into thinking they tried to sign Harper? C’mon, that’s ridiculous .

I can confirm that this was not set up by the Sox in any way. Literally a random employee unaware of how sports twitter works. I imagine the Sox were really pissed off when they found out about it. 

25 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The point is you aren’t Bryce Harper and so it’s weird that you think you know what is and isn't important to him. There are multitudes of factors that could potentially come into play to sway his decision. We don’t know what they are or aren’t. So if you wanted to sign him, you’d be wise to show him every benefit you can think of. 

To be honest, the fact that the money is so big probably makes it MORE likely he will choose based on this type of stuff. If you have several offers between $300-400M, they’re all going to provide you and your family and your future family essentially the exact same means to lifestyle — wouldn’t you start to think about where you actually want to live?

• Thanks 1