Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Hahn said that there are other players they are talking too that would make us better. That sure sounds like free agency. Who the heck could that possibly be? Marwin? Moustakas?

I wouldn't hate a Marwin signing depending on the price.  He could be used all around the diamond, and would be useful player - with MM or Harper, or not.  

At this point, I assume he'll be signed for considerably less than most people thought in November.  Also no QO attached. 

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

The sox should have won more in the early 90s. They were too cheap to pony up for that player to get over the hump. All they did was recycle players that were done or did nothing at all. It was the same in 2000. When instead of getting a pitcher they try to recycle ken hill

2000 White Sox came out of no where to win the division. I'm pretty sure no one expected Ken Hill to be a big acquisition. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

2000 White Sox came out of no where to win the division. I'm pretty sure no one expected Ken Hill to be a big acquisition. 

Ken hill was signed mid season to try an bolster the rotation. He was toast 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

There’s a direct quote about shorter-term guys to help fill holes on the roster.

I seen that but I guess I assumed you were referring to Hahns statement that they have 3-4 other moves and connecting what Tanny is saying as those moves being stop gap players. I don’t think Tannehill was saying that. 

Also, GREEDY had shared a recent interview video of Hahn on mlb network and Hahn referenced they were only interested in long term solutions. What the heck is up with this abrupt change to being interested in multiple stop gaps? 

9 minutes ago, Saufley said:

It wasn't JR's fault that the Sox didn't win that 1959 World Series for us and it wasn't his fault the Sox traded away Battey and Romano. I agree with you that we have been disappointed many times. So yes, JR, it's time to do something now and make us happy, for a change.

No, JR was not part of the team in 59. Veeck traded away Battey and Romano(He also traded Norm Cash, John Callison, Bubba Phillips, Don Mincher and Barry Latman. JR also was not there in 67 when the SOX lost TWO double headers to second division teams late in September and fell from first to fourth. JR was not there in the 60's where TWO STRAIGHT YEARS we finished ONE game behind the Yankees. But JR HAS been around for about 30 years and we have 2005 and only four other post seasons under his tenure. JR hired Hawk as GM and allowed a HOF manager to be fired, yet stayed with Manuel and Ventura when we had decent teams(especially with Manuel) but won nothing. We got outbid for Tanaka, Gordon, and Cespedes(I admit we dodged a bullet there, but it seems we ALWAYS get outbid). I don't advocate "bidding against themselves". I just would like to see the Sox put forth whatever it takes to bring in this once in a lifetime chance to make the team a winner. Yes, we have "prospects". So far the "prospects" that have come up have disappointed, so I am pretty confident "prospects" alone will get us to another WS.

Just now, xSouthsider2 said:

No, JR was not part of the team in 59. Veeck traded away Battey and Romano(He also traded Norm Cash, John Callison, Bubba Phillips, Don Mincher and Barry Latman. JR also was not there in 67 when the SOX lost TWO double headers to second division teams late in September and fell from first to fourth. JR was not there in the 60's where TWO STRAIGHT YEARS we finished ONE game behind the Yankees. But JR HAS been around for about 30 years and we have 2005 and only four other post seasons under his tenure. JR hired Hawk as GM and allowed a HOF manager to be fired, yet stayed with Manuel and Ventura when we had decent teams(especially with Manuel) but won nothing. We got outbid for Tanaka, Gordon, and Cespedes(I admit we dodged a bullet there, but it seems we ALWAYS get outbid). I don't advocate "bidding against themselves". I just would like to see the Sox put forth whatever it takes to bring in this once in a lifetime chance to make the team a winner. Yes, we have "prospects". So far the "prospects" that have come up have disappointed, so I am pretty confident "prospects" alone will get us to another WS.

LaRussa the most overrated mouthpiece in the history of professional sports. Getting rid of that blow hard was the best thing Jerry ever did.

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Also, GREEDY had shared a recent interview video of Hahn on mlb network and Hahn referenced they were only interested in long term solutions. What the heck is up with this abrupt change to being interested in multiple stop gaps? 

I think that was more of them saying they aren't going to trade guys for short term answers. It's literally impossible for them to not sign stop gaps at this point. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I think that was more of them saying they aren't going to trade guys for short term answers. It's literally impossible for them to not sign stop gaps at this point. 

I don’t think he was specific. But if they trade for Joc without signing Manny I will be very confused by Hahns plan or lack there of. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LaRussa the most overrated mouthpiece in the history of professional sports. Getting rid of that blow hard was the best thing Jerry ever did.

How many WS did LaRussa get to? How many did he win? Hawk was a GREAT announcer. He was NOT a GM. It was a personality clash and Hawk won JR's favor.

6 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

How many WS did LaRussa get to? How many did he win? Hawk was a GREAT announcer. He was NOT a GM. It was a personality clash and Hawk won JR's favor.

Hawk was awful, but LaRussa was no better. LaRussa was a cheater for one thing - amazing how everywhere he went, big time steroids followed. LaRussa thought he was reinventing the game when analytically speaking he was a moron. 

LaRussa was as bad a baseball ops guy as Hawk - what he did in Arizona was laughably bad.

Managers don't win World Series in baseball; nor do manager "take their team" there. Players do. LaRussa has had some very very gifted players in his career, but his attitude and arrogance were always laughable. Tony always thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres