Sox & Tribe, 6/2/19, Gio & Plesac

soxfan49

12 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

That's almost even more impressive because there were numerous Ace level performances in that period.

Yes they did, Loaiza, Contreras, Danks on occasion. Bartolo Colon for a season in 2003, Javy Vazquez in 2007. 

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Like it or not, this team seems to always have a staff ace under Cooper.  Hard not to see why he's still around.

Who was the ace the last 2 seasons?

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

BABIP alone doesn't tell the story. Don't come at me until you check up on the quality of his contact. 

Barrel% triple the mlb avg and top 5 OVERALL in all of MLB, EV of 92mph puts him in the 91st percentile, hard hit% 95th percentile, career best xSLG and xWOBA, launch angle up 2 degrees from his career average....were these the stats you were looking for?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Who was the ace the last 2 seasons?

You're overthinking it.

2017 - Jose Quintana - Even if they traded him

2018 - No one, but the pitchers were clearly all in the development phase.

Any other beside the point technicalities?

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

4 hours ago, SCCWS said:

If before the season, someone had told you that on June 2nd Gio would be leading the majors in wins and Chris Sale would be leading the majors in losses you would have thought they got in to the Kool-aid. 

Not really. Nobody talks about wins and losses any more. I've been told by the advanced stat lovers those stats are meaningless. I would like to congratulate Gio. Nice to see a first-round draft pick excel with the Sox. And he's only 24. Obviously Hahn won that trade with Gio about ready to land an all-star berth. Rey has to get more consistent though.

5 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

I have no love for Yonder but he plays a solid 1B. 

Also he seems to have ended our hex vs. Cleveland. Nice to have a former Indians player make them think twice about the Sox at least. Now we need to acquire a former Twin. The Royals will always act dysfuncationally when they play us (beanballs, fights) so we don't need to acquire any more of those stiffs. Hopfully Jay will be the last.

13 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Abreu's on pace for well over 100 RBI and people are shitting on him. Is that stat advanced enough for you?

I guess not. He's like 2nd or 3rd in RBIs.   Somewhere the Areau bashing at this time has to rank high in baseball stupidity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Whatever you say.

According to multiple stories in the mainstream media, Gio went back to his high school coach this off season and they changed his delivery. His high school coach. Can't say I've ever heard one like that before and it certainly doesn't paint Don Cooper in the best light does it?

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not really. Nobody talks about wins and losses any more. I've been told by the advanced stat lovers those stats are meaningless. I would like to congratulate Gio. Nice to see a first-round draft pick excel with the Sox. And he's only 24. Obviously Hahn won that trade with Gio about ready to land an all-star berth. Rey has to get more consistent though.

They are w/r/t evaluating pitcher performance. 

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

According to multiple stories in the mainstream media, Gio went back to his high school coach this off season and they changed his delivery. His high school coach. Can't say I've ever heard one like that before and it certainly doesn't paint Don Cooper in the best light does it?

Gio sought advice from someone outside the org and has found success.  Does that automatically mean that his professional pitching coach had no input?  or didn't give his blessing?  does it really fucking matter who said what where or how?  

Gio is pitching like a legit ace and agendas still want to quibble.   Frankly I don't give a fuck who wants or wants to attribute credit I will just bask in Gio's awesome pitching.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I guess not. He's like 2nd or 3rd in RBIs.   Somewhere the Areau bashing at this time has to rank high in baseball stupidity.

I love everything about him, as a ballplayer and dugout presence.

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

BABIP alone doesn't tell the story. Don't come at me until you check up on the quality of his contact. 

Ron, his Quality of Contact stats are currently better than they were his rookie year. 

2013: soft 17.0% medium 46.6% hard 36.4%

2019: soft: 15.9% medium 46.5% hard 37.6%

and yes, we all know his K rate is up. Save it. If Abreu gives us the 70 Xbh and .800 OPS he’s on track for, I sincerely doubt anyone could deter you from wild guessing and incorrectly projecting negative scenario to fit your agenda?

Here is just something for you to consider: perhaps given the myriad mistakes you have made in estimating his future value over the past three plus years, perhaps your brain is just dead wrong about José Abreu. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

16 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Ron, his Quality of Contact stats are currently better than they were his rookie year. 

2013: soft 17.0% medium 46.6% hard 36.4%

2019: soft: 15.9% medium 46.5% hard 37.6%

and yes, we all know his K rate is up. Save it. If Abreu gives us the 70 Xbh and .800 OPS he’s on track for, I sincerely doubt anyone could deter you from wild guessing and incorrectly projecting negative scenario to fit your agenda?

Here is just something for you to consider: perhaps given the myriad mistakes you have made in estimating his future value over the past three plus years, perhaps your brain is just dead wrong about José Abreu. 

Ron it's easy to hate on guys you see play every day. Your anger regarding Abreu is unjustified. Come over to the right side re. Jose. Give him his due. He's one of my all time favorite Sox.