JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If Abreu stays at 1B, why doesn’t it make sense for a year or two?

For a year, yes.  I just didn't have any hope they'd do that, and I didn't want more than 1 yr with Vaughn coming.  (and, for the record, even with the QO to Abreu it still wouldn't surprise me if that was just a formality and they're working on a 3yr deal with him)

Honestly, does this really mean he's staying in Boston? Maybe the conversation he had with the new GM was about waiving or reducing his no trade clause? He's guaranteed his contract now and not risking a market paying him less, and the Red Sox can still try to move him and can actually get something in return in a trade.

I don't think him opting in means he's staying in Boston at all. This is still a situation to track, for better or worse.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So the Sox are supposed to trade for JDM give up assets and free up Boston to solve their pitching woes when we need pitching more than we need JDM ?

Probably a similar need, given the Sox had the worst DH numbers in the AL.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:22 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

We will know in a few days but we still don’t know if JD will opt out so all this discussion may be for naught (unless CWS trade for him). I’d put the odds at 50/50 he opts out. 6 months ago, I was much more confident he’d opt out.

Well, the Sox can always sign him next winter if he opts out. If he’s still producing and Abreu is not, it could be ideal timing to bring him in.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So the Sox are supposed to trade for JDM give up assets and free up Boston to solve their pitching woes when we need pitching more than we need JDM ?

I would think if a team takes on JDM's full salary, the assets would be similar to the kids on the coach in Animal House. But JDM has to decide on who are no trade partners. 

Edited by SCCWS

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Probably a similar need, given the Sox had the worst DH numbers in the AL.

Yes we need pitching as much as Boston does so why help them get it while hurting our own chances ? As far as DH goes we don't need a DH we need players to fill positions and depth to allow a rotating DH from among those positions. I have argued this all along and for no JDM . We have an abundance of 1st base /DH types and even more if we can manage to grab Grandal. Between Abreu/Grandal/Moustaskas/Collins/Eloy that's plenty of depth and DH's to fill the position.

30 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I would think if a team takes on JDM's full salary, the assets would be similar to the kids on the coach in Animal House. But JDM has to decide on who are no trade partners. 

Of course just like the assets for Joc Pederson and Nimmo will be cheap. I 've heard enough of these types of arguments for giving up assets that the Sox just had the rebuild to acquire and now frankly assessing the farm system we really don't have that many left. You trade from a position of strength when you have strength . The only hope for the Sox to have a position of strength is in pitching  if they can acquire some top FA pitchers and Kopech Cease, Lopez Dunning and Rodon all back on the team providing that strength IF they can reverse the fortunes that have befallen them the last few years. And also to let the ones still left in the minors play out for better or worse.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a DH with an opt-out after the 2020 season in his contract.  I can’t imagine it would take a lot if they’re desperate to move salary.

I guess now he's a better option at one year than 3 or 4 years but he's never been a part of my plan nor has trading assets either .

I think the price for 1 year would attract a few more teams so just like with Nimmo you'd have to beat the best offer so it's never going to be as cheap as you think.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess now he's a better option at one year than 3 or 4 years but he's never been a part of my plan nor has trading assets either .

I think the price for 1 year would attract a few more teams so just like with Nimmo you'd have to beat the best offer so it's never going to be as cheap as you think.

There were only like 4 maybe 5 teams that would have a need for him as a FA.  Even less when you start talking about what is essentially a 1 year deal.  Sox and Rangers would make sense but you would eliminate teams like the Mariners and Blue Jays.  

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Honestly, does this really mean he's staying in Boston? Maybe the conversation he had with the new GM was about waiving or reducing his no trade clause? He's guaranteed his contract now and not risking a market paying him less, and the Red Sox can still try to move him and can actually get something in return in a trade.

I don't think him opting in means he's staying in Boston at all. This is still a situation to track, for better or worse.

No it does not guarantee he's staying in Boston. They still need to cut payroll somewhere. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The same logic applies here as did for FA...not a whole lot of suitors, and all the downside risk - he gets hurt or VictorMartinez's a season and the team is stuck with 2 more years.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The same logic applies here as did for FA...not a whole lot of suitors, and all the downside risk - he gets hurt or VictorMartinez's a season and the team is stuck with 2 more years.

I'm glad the option is biting a team in the ass here and making people realize what a poison pill they are for teams courting FAs.   Options are always friendly towards whoever has them.   Sure, sometimes a player will make a bad bet on himself.  But with an opt out the team holds all the downside risk of the contract -- not great.

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm glad the option is biting a team in the ass here and making people realize what a poison pill they are for teams courting FAs.   Options are always friendly towards whoever has them.   Sure, sometimes a player will make a bad bet on himself.  But with an opt out the team holds all the downside risk of the contract -- not great.

They won a World Series!

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a DH with an opt-out after the 2020 season in his contract.  I can’t imagine it would take a lot if they’re desperate to move salary.

I think if you have to pay his $23 next year, little or nothing should have to be added. The question is what teams will be on his no-trade list.