White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, tray said:

1993 Sox were not even close. Karko at catcher rather than Grandall ?  How many home runs for the outfielders combined in '94?

Huh? 

Man, people need to slow down on the expectations. The odds of this team being as good as the 93 and the 94 White Sox is incredibly slim.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be fine with Gennett or Dietrich as a cheap stop gap 2B fill in, then bench piece.  Neither has signed yet.  But both hit lefty so neither would be a good platoonmate for Mazara down the line.  

Sox could use someone that can cover 3B for a couple weeks.  We really don't have anyone on the roster to cover 3B.  I guess Leury could do it, but I don't think that'd be very pretty. Honestly, I kind of think the Sox resign Yolmer at this point on like a 1 year $3M deal.  

More insurance for Mazara than as 2b/Madrigal to start the year, but we already have that in the form of Leury.

Just depends on numbers and option year.   You'd have to think he would be better off on a Bottom Ten team playing everyday...awaiting a midseason deal or going into FA with a solid season behind him.

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, the balance of speed and power is what makes it so much fun. 

I'd say good luck getting Robert not to run; guy loves it. Can you blame him? If I ran like that I'd be stealing all day everyday.

He and YoYo are gonna go 1st to 3rd on a lot base hits too.  Can't wait!

30 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Once Madrigal is up, this is easily the most exciting White Sox roster...ever? 

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

93 team had: 

Ventura - 5.3 bWAR 

Thomas - 6.2

Tim Raines - 3.8

Karko - 3.2

Lance - 6.1

Burks - 2.9

Cora - 1.7

Ozzie - 1.8

Alvarez - 4.9

Bere - 2.6

Alex - 5.4

Berto - 2.6

Team was filthy.

2020 Sox don't have a prime Frank Thomas.  And while the rest of the roster is young and super exciting its tough to call them better than that 1993 team.  Still my favorite non 2005 club.  1993 was just stacked.

Edited by SouthWallace

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have no problem with Collins starting in AAA.  But I actually think the Sox stand pat in the OF right now.  Leury will be Mazara's platoon mate.  Mendick can cover 2B for the couple games Leury has to play RF against LHP early in the season.

I think the Sox more likely to add a cheap 1 year 2B.  I suppose it would be ideal if that guy could also play RF and end up being Mazara's platoon mate once Madrigal arrives, but the only FA that really fits that description at this point is Zobrist.  

CWS thinks his 2019 should be tossed out because of marital issues, but he was pretty bad in 2017 as well. The fact that he’s turning 39 I think it’s the end of the road for him. Unless it’s a NRI invite to challenge Mendick for a spot I don’t want any part of him.

My order of preference for the last bat: Pence, Cabrera, Pillar

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

2020 Sox don't have a prime Frank Thomas.  And while the rest of the roster is young and super exciting its tough to call them better than that 1993 team.  Still my favorite non 2005 club.  1993 was just stacked.

93 team had Bo too but his hip had already died by then. Still, he was there.

2006 probably the most exciting pre-season hype/excitement after 1993/94.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

1993 Sox were a preview.  The 1994 Sox were unreal.  Everyone remembers how good Thomas and Ventura were but Julio Franco was a wrecking ball and made that lineup impossible to game plan around

Oh I remember!  That damn strike broke my childhood heart!  #WhatCouldHaveBeen

• Like 1

Just now, SouthWallace said:

Oh I remember!  That damn strike broke my childhood heart!  #WhatCouldHaveBeen

My heart was also broken.  I remember thinking they could just resolve things and get back to the game and next thing I know Oil Can Boyd is pitching for the 95 replacement Sox :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, daggins said:

From the Fangraphs chat w/ Edwards today:

Stephen
2:09
Luis Robert's "Future Value" is just "55", which is equal to Nick Madrigal's (another White Sox prospect), for example. These projections aren't adjusted at all given Robert's 2019 minor league performance? Also, does today's news (contract extension) change his 2020 projections (considering he will likely play a whole season in the majors now)?

Craig Edwards
2:14
In some respects, the signing means very little for the White Sox. Depth Charts already had Robert slated for 120 games and 504 plate appearances. I think we can probably add 25 more games and 100 PA, so that will help his projections some. As for his 55 future value, I'm sure Kiley and Eric will factor in his performance last year, but in keep in mind they could have adjusted him up during the season last year and didn't. There are concerns about how his walk rates and swings and misses will translate at the big league level as well as him in center field. He's not quite as good of a prospect as Eloy Jiménez was last season due to those concerns with the bat, and even Jiménez struggled some to start the season. Also, a 55 is still one of the top 20-50 prospects in the game.

EDIT - I think there's enough risk here that this isn't a slam dunk.

Absolutely embarrassing.  I’m fine with not anointing Robert the next Mike Trout, but anyone suggesting he’s only a 55 FV prospect after last year is either clueless about or has never seen him play.  He may be the most athletic baseball player on the planet and is coming off a monster year.  Yes, I wish he drew more walks but his combo of speed, power, & defense should result in him being a 60 FV guy at minimum.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

My heart was also broken.  I remember thinking they could just resolve things and get back to the game and next thing I know Oil Can Boyd is pitching for the 95 replacement Sox :(

The 1995 replacement Sox were further insult to injury.  

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

1993 Sox were a preview.  The 1994 Sox were unreal.  Everyone remembers how good Thomas and Ventura were but Julio Franco was a wrecking ball and made that lineup impossible to game plan around

Frank had 7 WAR. AS A -8 1st baseman, in 112 GAMES.

7 WAR, with negative base running and defensive value, in 112 games. It's one of the most absurd things in baseball history.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

7 WAR, with negative base running and defensive value, in 112 games. It's one of the most absurd things in baseball history.

His BB-ref page in his twenties is second only to Bonds in terms of wtf factor. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Strike ruined what would have been one of the top 20 greatest seasons ever produced offensively right around guys like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.   Frank was screwed.  Thankfully he got his 1st ballot unanimous selection when the time came.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Right now Robert is a freak defensively. The concern is he's absolutely massive so people think he'll eventually size his way out of CF. Hes big and bulky but fast as all hell. Not something to worry about today though.

Robert didn’t seem bulky to me at all when I saw him at SoxFest.  He’s that rare guy that is somehow both lean & jacked at the same time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Strike ruined what would have been one of the top 20 greatest seasons ever produced offensively right around guys like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.   Frank was screwed.  Thankfully he got his 1st ballot unanimous selection when the time came.

By wRC+, he would have been one of only 3 players since 1960 to be above 200 - Bonds, Mcwire and Thomas. 

One player since then came within 1 point (199) of the 200 barometer. Can you name that player? I was shocked to see who it was.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Robert didn’t seem bulky to me at all when I saw him at SoxFest.  He’s that rare guy that is somehow both lean & jacked at the same time.

I posted the picture from insta - I know he looks good with his frame but that is not what a strong "lean" guy looks like at all.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run