Heads22

Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Shouldn’t be a surprise. It will be interesting to hear from Kopech if and when he decides to speak. Hope he is alright. 

• Like 4

Don’t blame him one bit. There are things that are more important than baseball. I hope he’s okay and let’s see him next year. 

• Like 5

Fans of Vanessa Morgan apparently think that they are getting a divorce. None of her social media posts recently have involved him.

Hope whatever it is he finds peace with it and this gives him enough time to clear his mind and come back next February.

• Like 3

Good luck to him. Let him get everything in order. We got that extra year of service time back. So 6 years of team control still, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be honest this isn’t the worst thing in the world. The Sox will get another year of service time out of him and I don’t know how much of a factor he would’ve been this season anyway.

Just got to hope he eventually comes back or we are in big trouble.

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Good luck to him. Let him get everything in order. We got that extra year of service time back. So 6 years of team control still, right?

Should be five years unless they try to manipulate service time to start the 2021 season.

• Like 1

All the best to Kopech, hope he's ok mentally, physically and emotionally.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Eh, it would really hurt but I don’t think it would be a death sentence. I also don’t want to get into a huge debate about if Kopech does/doesn’t come back because we just don’t have enough info to go on, and I don’t want to speculate on someone’s personal life. 

Having said that...Been thinking about this topic the last few days. Doesn’t make me feel any better, but when you think about the rebuild and the assets they acquired....you knew a few of them weren’t going to pan out. That core of Eloy-Moncada-Giolito-Kopech-Robert-Madrigal-Vaughn-Lopez-Kelly-Crochet......like 3-4 of those guys aren’t going to hit, just aren’t.  Not saying Kopech has fallen into that group, far too early for that...but we knew going in a few of the “blue chip” prospects weren’t going to hit. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really can’t tell if his absence and subsequently opting out is due to the virus or for other reasons. Hopefully he’ll be back in 2021 either way. 

• Like 1

Best wishes to Kopech. Doesn't this give the Sox the year of control back too?

It's easy to assume the worst with this kid given all the headlines he's had as he's come up as a young professional. I think this isn't necessarily a bad turn of events for the Sox. If the service time stipulations are correctly understood, we now have his rights for all of 2025 instead of for 60 games this year. If the team comes out 2-9 in the first 11 games, we'd much prefer this scenario than him pitching 40 innings for us this year.

I imagine we will soon find out this isn't about mental health or drugs or whatever everybody is fearing. Do some social media snooping and you can figure things out.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I imagine we will soon find out this isn't about mental health or drugs or whatever everybody is fearing. Do some social media snooping and you can figure things out.

Lots of people on Twitter are saying his wife might be pregnant. So that would explain why he doesn’t want to risk it right now. 

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Don't have social media but ima assume Joe is in the ballpark there with his assessment. 

Edited by SoxAce

if that true i dont blame i just hope peopple dont spead bullshit rumors like tha one person was

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It's easy to assume the worst with this kid given all the headlines he's had as he's come up as a young professional. I think this isn't necessarily a bad turn of events for the Sox. If the service time stipulations are correctly understood, we now have his rights for all of 2025 instead of for 60 games this year. If the team comes out 2-9 in the first 11 games, we'd much prefer this scenario than him pitching 40 innings for us this year.

I think the bigger overall concern, aside from whatever is going on in his personal/private life....is he’s thrown 14 MLB innings since 2018. With 2020 a wash.....he’s going to have missed A LOT of development time. 

Kopech also has been known to be ultra-competitive, so hopefully that fire is still there and he can come back stronger than ever. But he’s got a fight ahead of him. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think the bigger overall concern, aside from whatever is going on in his personal/private life....is he’s thrown 14 MLB innings since 2018. With 2020 a wash.....he’s going to have missed A LOT of development time. 

Kopech also has been known to be ultra-competitive, so hopefully that fire is still there and he can come back stronger than ever. But he’s got a fight ahead of him. 

Completely agree, and that’s why I think he’s now a bullpen pitcher. He could be a dominating closer, which would be fine. But no way would I pencil him in the rotation for 2021. Maybe they still will, but I’d be very surprised.

I might worry about him for next year not this one.  I hope he is not too unstable. 

• Like 1