Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

The players can feel uneasy about La Russa, but they also should be open minded and actually talk with the guy. And Tony will need to adapt to what is going on in the game now and adjust too. If people actually sit down and talk with each other, they’ll probably find out that it’s not that bad. 

Edited by flavum

You can't let the inmates run the asylum, so I am not too concerned no player has commented yet. Many of these guys were in HS or jr high when he last managed. I am trying to open my closed mind on this, but I will tell you , there will be complaints about his managing, and he will get into disputes with players. But most managers do. Hopefully he can keep the tally low. But Eloy is probably going to be told to button a couple more buttons and put his cap on straight. 

Just now, flavum said:

The players can feel uneasy about La Russa, but they also should be open minded and actually talk with the guy. And Tony will need to adapt to what is going on in the game now and adjust too. If people actually sit fine and talk with each other, they’ll probably find out that it’s not that bad. 

So far he hasn't been reaching out to them, per what was said here a couple pages ago. Shouldn't it be the manager's job to be offering the first olive branch? If the coach can't be bothered to have done that so far, even with the team captains, why should the players put in any more effort than him?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

You can't let the inmates run the asylum, so I am not too concerned no player has commented yet. Many of these guys were in HS or jr high when he last managed. I am trying to open my closed mind on this, but I will tell you , there will be complaints about his managing, and he will get into disputes with players. But most managers do. Hopefully he can keep the tally low. But Eloy is probably going to be told to button a couple more buttons and put his cap on straight. 

Hahahahahaha great opening sentence.....c’mon man 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think some of this was St Louis puritanism moreso than Larussa.

That said I'd be okay if they asked eloy to go one button up, there are children watching.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m all for making players tuck in their back pockets, so some good could come out if this. 😀

53 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's going to get worse. The players aren't happy. 

Not really sure what the players can do.  They're under contract and their future livelihood depends on their performance.

They can be pissed all they want.  They still need to do their job if they want to get paid, just like the rest of us.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think some of this was St Louis puritanism moreso than Larussa.

That said I'd be okay if they asked eloy to go one button up, there are children watching.

Are we being serious at the moment? His shirt unbuttoned bothers people? Have you guys ever been to the beach or pool where males walk around with no shirts on.....c’mon guys....

I believe at some point Kenny Williams will talk to the players and calm any disgruntled guys down. I have a hard time believing Kenny wasn't on board with this to a degree. He may have been against it at first, but warmed up to it after talking to TLR and JR. No way TLR is hired if Kenny voiced a strong opinion about it. Hahn may have been overruled, but Kenny wouldn't be when race is a big issue here. . 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So far he hasn't been reaching out to them, per what was said here a couple pages ago. Shouldn't it be the manager's job to be offering the first olive branch? If the coach can't be bothered to have done that so far, even with the team captains, why should the players put in any more effort than him?

He just got hired. I’ve been saying he should start making calls this weekend. Easy there, fella.

I've been one of the main people worried about discord that could be stoked by tlr's clubhouse, as he has sometimes not gotten along with prominent players and publicly.

That said - let's not go overboard. A lot of players were fiercely loyal to him. Pujols loved him. McGwire followed him. He didn't fire McGwire from his staff after mcgwire admitted using steroids. He's not quite a buck showalter or even joe girardi hard-ass. He's just had some real clique-y clubhouses where he can play favorites.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

He just got hired. I’ve been saying he should start making calls this weekend. Easy there, fella.

He's known he was getting hired for a while now.  Hell, Lance Briggs has known he was getting hired for a while now.  The he just got hired stuff isn't a valid excuse.

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Are we being serious at the moment? His shirt unbuttoned bothers people? Have you guys ever been to the beach or pool where males walk around with no shirts on.....c’mon guys....

lol 

I've been one of the main people worried about discord that could be stoked by tlr's clubhouse, as he has sometimes not gotten along with prominent players and publicly.

That said - let's not go overboard. A lot of players were fiercely loyal to him. Pujols loved him. McGwire followed him. He didn't fire McGwire from his staff after mcgwire admitted using steroids. He's not quite a buck showalter or even joe girardi hard-ass. He's just had some real clique-y clubhouses where he can play favorites.

Well yeah, of course he wasn't going to fire McGwire for using steroids. He benefited from them and looked the other way for practically McGwire's entire career. He might not be considered a "hall of fame manager" if McGwire hadn't been using steroids since the 1980s. 

• Thanks 1

One thing we will never know but would be fascinating to know is all about the consensus RH mentions between himself, KW, and JR.

If JR comes up with a bad idea, do they have no problem telling him they think it is stupid or do they placate him because, after all, he does sign their checks. 

With this, it seems their balls were cut off. Once JR called LaRussa and he said he was interested, there were no oher real candidates until he said no thanks.

At least give yourselves some options.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Well yeah, of course he wasn't going to fire McGwire for using steroids. He benefited from them and looked the other way for practically McGwire's entire career. He might not be considered a "hall of fame manager" if McGwire hadn't been using steroids since the 1980s. 

🙄

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was there with you yesterday saying it would work out, but it’s concerning to read and hear what the players are thinking 

6 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

This is the same owner that banned headbands on the bulls team ya know. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing we will never know but would be fascinating to know is all about the consensus RH mentions between himself, KW, and JR.

If JR comes up with a bad idea, do they have no problem telling him they think it is stupid or do they placate him because, after all, he does sign their checks. 

With this, it seems their balls were cut off. Once JR called LaRussa and he said he was interested, there were no oher real candidates until he said no thanks.

At least give yourselves some options.

I bet part of it specifically here is JR not being really open to reasons to why TLR wouldn't be a great fit. I'm sure he was like "you guys need a manager, I can get you one of the best managers of all time".

And then trying to sell him AJ hinch or a bench coach I'ms ure he was just obtuse about the whole thing and they struggled to push back.

• Like 1

🙄

Roll your eyes all you want, but seriously, you're saying that it's reasonable under any circumstances to have expected Tony LaRussa to fire McGwire for having used steroids/admitting it publicly? Really? Tell me how on Earth that makes sense to you? LaRussa watched him "not want to talk about the past" before Congress and assumed that meant the shots he got in the locker room and the bottle labeled andro were all just vitamins, and was totally caught off guard when McGwire admitted it?

• Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic