4/17 GT: Sox vs Sahx, 3:05 PM CST

Capn12

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I can’t think of a truly great player it has completely sunk his career, can you?

Only guy I can really think of is Eduardo Rodriguez. But he's now back and pitching fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Even in 2018 the ball exploded off his bat. It doesn't happen anymore. What's the most logical explanation? That ability just doesn't disappear at age 25. 

Right now, the most logical explanation is that he showed weakness between the ears when he accepted the excuse in the first place. I doubt real ballers go down that road ever. Fact remains his has always indicated a problem, and it’s probably not a physical problem.

8 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The Sox don’t win according to their production numbers. Which are not great. But good enough for a better record. They seem to be losers that believed their own hype. This humbling was necessary.

Great post, you are spot on, they have won nothing, until you do just shut the blank up. They had since 2016 to build this team and they can't even replace a left fielder with someone who is major league capable . Their drafts have been garbage, teams like the angels and Dodgers have 39 and 33 rd round picks that make a huge difference, the whitesox they have no bench, and do think anyone in this garbage organization gives a shit, no only us stupid ads fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Eloy Jimenez is an awesome player. He likely would have been the best hitter on the team this season, but he's not Mike Trout. And this isn't basketball. If Eloy's injury is enough to completely derail the season then this team wasn't going to be great anyways.

He will never change but the Sox must.  

28 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Really, REALLY feels like we're going to kick around in our heads this year, over and over, just how much a moronic attempt to rob a spring training HR, really screwed up this team.

If your team's chances of being WS caliber are so tenuous that 1 injury leads to a spiral then you never really were WS caliber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, wegner said:

Lynn hasn't been the problem...but I never trusted Hahn to not trade the wrong guys away.

I liked the trade a heck of a lot more when I thought it meant the Sox would have a much bigger payroll. I would have hated it if I knew they were going cheap.

46 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I sat through years of a rebuild for this? 

This is why the blind optimism has perplexed me. The same people who have been keeping this a ruined franchise oversaw the rebuild. When this team has success it almost seems to be accidental. 

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

This is why the blind optimism has perplexed me. The same people who have been keeping this a ruined franchise oversaw the rebuild. When this team has success it almost seems to be accidental. 

I don’t think people realize just how terrible the Central division was last year in both leagues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think people realize just how terrible the Central division was last year in both leagues

That includes the teams that finished with 30 or more wins. 

They were all mediocre at best. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

The combined talent on the White Sox  does not appear to be demonstrably better than any of the teams they have played thus far this season.

That isn't anyone's fault, it just is what it is.  Right now, it looks like the White Sox are a pretty decent .500 team, plus or minus a few games.

Once Eloy  got injured, I resigned myself to  the Sox being in the middle of the pack , perhaps competing with KC for third place in the division.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah how dare he pretend to struggle to breathe last year 

Hey if that works for anyone, whatever gets ypu through the night. Too bad the effects still plague him.  He has this phenomenal knowledge of the strike zone that once was a reason he struck out so much.

Just now, tray said:

The combined talent on the White Sox  does not appear to be demonstrably better than any of the teams they have played thus far this season.

That isn't anyone's fault, it just is what it is.  Right now, it looks like the White Sox are a pretty decent .500 team, plus or minus a few games.

Once Eloy  got injured, I resigned myself to  the Sox being in the middle of the pack , perhaps competing with KC for third place in the division.

Eloy isn't the difference between them being contenders for the playoffs or not. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy isn't the difference between them being contenders for the playoffs or not. 

Why not?  Take a possible MVP candidate out of the lineup and replace him with....Engel or Vaughn?  At least the idiots in Sox Nation that wanted to see the Sox focus on producing more runs instead of hit 250 home runs will get their wish.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Another issue is that if they plan on giving Grandal a lot of breaks (which is a solid plan), having Collins as the back up is a HUGE downgrade from McCann offensively. 

Amen. Not sure what they could have done with the situation, but how many spark plugs a team can afford to  lose before a fanbase wonders where the edge went. For sure I dont think it is smart to manage the team depending on a guy like Collins, but that guy was a winner.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I didn't say that. I do feel that there are incremental differences in the talent level of  teams the Sox have played, and those differences can  turn some  close losses into wins.

Vaughn had a hit today but in reality that was on an error. Hahn will have to demote him if he doesn't start hitting in the next few series.  You cannot replace a star player with a dude  that can't hit .200 and think that doesn't make a difference in a league that is as competitive as the AL is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Another issue is that if they plan on giving Grandal a lot of breaks (which is a solid plan), having Collins as the back up is a HUGE downgrade from McCann offensively. 

Expecting McCann like production out of your backup catcher spot is nuts, regardless of how much they plan to play Grandal.  He was the definition of a luxury.  The problem is the only addition they made to the offense was Adam Eaton and failed to add any depth elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why not?  Take a possible MVP candidate out of the lineup and replace him with....Engel or Vaughn?  At least the idiots in Sox Nation that wanted to see the Sox focus on producing more runs instead of hit 250 home runs will get their wish.

I've always been the low man on Eloy. To me, Eloy is Jorge Soler with a few more hits. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic