The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Both teams and Tony acted drunk.  My god, Eaton was stumbling all game.  Lost in the criticism of Tony was Eaton stumbling on the homer in comical fashion.  Could he have robbed it?

The only inning I was able to watch was the first inning and I noticed when Eaton crawled back to second base on a fly ball. Wtf was that? Lol

Edit: can you imagine if Eaton got a day off today? You would be looking at an OF of Vaughn, Hamilton Garcia. Oof.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I get that it's frustrating.  I absolutely hate seeing Leury in any game much less last night's debacle.  However, for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly.  For the record...I think he should start Vaughn in left field every game and Mercedes should never be out of the lineup...Yaz is overrated and Madrigal will be recognized as a star one day by this forum.  We all have "opinions" and sometimes they are different than others.

Except you’re acting like Tony La Russa, “Baseball God” can’t be wrong because of how long he has been in the game. 

No one is second guessing anything. It’s not that, so stop calling it that. It’s not second guessing when down 5-2 in the 8th inning, with runners on base, you send Billy Hamilton and Leury Garcia to the plate, “looking for a single.” Fans were SCREAMING asking what the hell Tony was doing. It was a bum call before it happened, it was a bum call after it happens. Jason and Steve, employees of the team were doing everything in their power on the broadcast not to say how bad of a move it was, DURING THE GAME. It’s all the media talked after the game. 

So stop it. 

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Both teams and Tony acted drunk.  My god, Eaton was stumbling all game.  Lost in the criticism of Tony was Eaton stumbling on the homer in comical fashion.  Could he have robbed it?

I said it before the season; I really do believe TLR managing this team is going to take a lot of life and energy out of it.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Except you’re acting like Tony La Russa, “Baseball God” can’t be wrong because of how long he has been in the game. 

No one is second guessing anything. It’s not that, so stop calling it that. It’s not second guessing when down 5-2 in the 8th inning, with runners on base, you send Billy Hamilton and Leury Garcia to the plate, “looking for a single.” Fans were SCREAMING asking what the hell Tony was doing. It was a bum call before it happened, it was a bum call after it happens. Jason and Steve, employees of the team were doing everything in their power on the broadcast not to say how bad of a move it was, DURING THE GAME. It’s all the media talked after the game. 

So stop it. 

I respect your "opinion".

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't really mind leaving in Giolito too long yesterday. 

Yeah it increased the chance of losing but it was your ace against the worst offense in the majors, that is the right time to find out if he can battle through and save the pen another inning that they can pitch when cease is at 80 pitches after 4 again. 

I don't think now is the time to be pitching guys 110-115 pitches. We don't know what the shortened 2020 will ultimately do to the pitchers, but most feel it will make them be able to pitch less this season than a typical 162 game season. You have a 13 man pitching staff, and another pitcher or two is always a phone call away. There is no reason to leave a guy in too long right now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

I get why people are disgusted.  Our best starter going against a lousy opponent.  I almost assume a win.  Managers have decisions of when to pull a pitcher when to pitch hit when to call for a sacrifice bunt, etc.  In 162 games these decisions are made by managers and pretty much overlooked when the team wins.  Managers look stupid when pitch hitters strikeout or the new reliever gets shelled.  My point is...every manager makes fans unhappy some of the time over a long season.  Hine sight always has 20/20 vision.

I agree with much of what you saying. I’m new here, but the criticism of Ricky last year beyond the final week reached ridiculous levels.

That said, there are multiple instances of correct criticisms, in real time, not hindsight, of Tony being unaware of the situation, a few he acknowledged postgame.

• Leaving Ruiz in against the heart of the Angels lineup to save Hendriks for a save, and having nobody warming up.
  • Not knowing the replay rules and sitting on a challenge that was to expire.
  • Leaving Foster in at Seattle with nobody warming up after it was clear he had nothing.
  • Bunting Grandal, even though he thought they would walk Mercedes.
  • Bringing Giolito back for the seventh after he already neared 100 pitches, and is coming back from an injury.

These are situations where he doesn’t appear to grasp what is going on or fails to have a backup plan if his “gut” is wrong.

Not to mention creating brand new positions like LF for Lamb, or play far worse options to fulfill his veterans fetish, because “Vaughn hasn’t earned at bats”.

Andrew Vaughn OPS + 98

• Hamilton 57
  • Lamb 38
  • Garcia 18
  • Williams -24 (I don’t recall seeing a non pitcher negative OPS+ until this).

We were sold by the FO and Reinsdorf’s media apologists that nobody would be more prepared or better able to manage a game.

In Tony’s final series ten years ago, his inability to use a phone cost the Cardinals a World Series game. A change needs to occur to prevent a repeat performance here when the stakes really matter.

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I respect your "opinion".

If your "opinion" is that fans don't have the right to "question" the manager, then I can't say I respect yours. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree with much of what you saying. I’m new here, but the criticism of Ricky last year beyond the final week reached ridiculous levels.

That said, there are multiple instances of correct criticisms, in real time, not hindsight, of Tony being unaware of the situation, a few he acknowledged postgame.

• Leaving Ruiz in against the heart of the Angels lineup to save Hendriks for a save, and having nobody warming up.
  • Not knowing the replay rules and sitting on a challenge that was to expire.
  • Leaving Foster in at Seattle with nobody warming up after it was clear he had nothing.
  • Bunting Grandal, even though he thought they would walk Mercedes.
  • Bringing Giolito back for the seventh after he already neared 100 pitches, and is coming back from an injury.

These are situations where he doesn’t appear to grasp what is going on or fails to have a backup plan if his “gut” is wrong.

Not to mention creating brand new positions like LF for Lamb, or play far worse options to fulfill his veterans fetish, because “Vaughn hasn’t earned at bats”.

Andrew Vaughn OPS + 98

• Hamilton 57
  • Lamb 38
  • Garcia 18
  • Williams -24 (I don’t recall seeing a non pitcher negative OPS+ until this).

We were sold by the FO and Reinsdorf’s media apologists that nobody would be more prepared or better able to manage a game.

In Tony’s final series ten years ago, his inability to use a phone cost the Cardinals a World Series game. A change needs to occur to prevent a repeat performance here when the stakes really matter.

Let's face it...fans are on a high when we win and the depth of despair when we lose.  All the situations you mentioned made me upset as well.  I was attempting to get people back off the ledge but apparently, it comes across as my being a huge TL booster.  For the record...I said when he was being considered I preferred others and was glad when he was fired the first time.  Once he was hired...he "is" the manager of my team and I will try to see the good in him.  I sure hope that any person hired as a manager knows more about baseball than those of us on this forum.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

If your "opinion" is that fans don't have the right to "question" the manager, then I can't say I respect yours. 

Well, we all have posters whose opinions we enjoy hearing more than others.  I'll live.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Well, we all have posters whose opinions we enjoy hearing more than others.  I'll live.

Yep, you'll be perfectly fine. You'll still be wrong, but you'll live. 👍

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't really mind leaving in Giolito too long yesterday. 

Yeah it increased the chance of losing but it was your ace against the worst offense in the majors, that is the right time to find out if he can battle through and save the pen another inning that they can pitch when cease is at 80 pitches after 4 again. 

😳

So isn’t the manager suppose to put the team in the best position possible to win the game? In this instance it was apparent to everyone except maybe Tony and I guess Katz that Lucas was already laboring to get through the 6th inning. He was already basically at 100 pitches. He walked the lead off guy and yet remained in the game with no one up in the BP. But hey it’s April who cares about one loss he’s preparing this team for the post season! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

The only inning I was able to watch was the first inning and I noticed when Eaton crawled back to second base on a fly ball. Wtf was that? Lol

Edit: can you imagine if Eaton got a day off today? You would be looking at an OF of Vaughn, Hamilton Garcia. Oof.

Isn't he appealing a suspension? Might as well drop the appeal and give him a day off. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

So stop it. 

Yeah these were glaringly poor decisions in the moment. 

No offense to Jake Lamb, but I think the games that he's started are by far the worst games that La Russa has managed. One of them was the game in Seattle where he left Foster to die and get scored on 7 times. Another was the game he started Lamb instead of Yermin against Bieber. And then there's last night. Lamb has only started 5 games so far and 3 of them La Russa seems to have been asleep at the wheel. It also doesn't help that Lamb started when Lucas forgot how to pitch in Boston. Can't blame TLR for that one though. 

Edited by chw42

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I saw last night Heuer is at 13 innings..... in 22 games....... He's on pace for 95.7 innings.. We are going to kill him.

Then I saw Foster had 5... What the fuck is Larussa doing.

He’s going the Jimmy Cordero route. 

How does one manager make this many mistakes in one game?

1. Not start Vaughn after two days of rest already

2. Leave Giolito in too long

3.  Have TA steal down two with 0 outs in the bottom of the 7th

4. Not pinch hit Hamilton or Leury

FOUR MISTAKES IN ONE GAME.  That is inexcusable.  TLR has cost the sox three games in 20 games.  That's on average 24 games through a 162 game season right now.  TLR has not learned from mistakes and he is managing this team like it's 1980.

Him and Jerry both need to go home and never have anymore decisions with the Sox.  They're both fucking embarrassing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

How does one manager make this many mistakes in one game?

1. Not start Vaughn after two days of rest already

2. Leave Giolito in too long

3.  Have TA steal down two with 0 outs in the bottom of the 7th

4. Not pinch hit Hamilton or Leury

FOUR MISTAKES IN ONE GAME.  That is inexcusable.  TLR has cost the sox three games in 20 games.  That's on average 24 games through a 162 game season right now.  TLR has not learned from mistakes and he is managing this team like it's 1980.

Him and Jerry both need to go home and never have anymore decisions with the Sox.  They're both fucking embarrassing 

Not sure I'd say number 3 is a "mistake" but agree with the rest.