Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thinking like Cleveland, this saves them $6 million next year and a couple-ish million this year.

Indians had no obligation for next year other than $1M buyout. Same goes for Sox. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thinking like Cleveland, this saves them $6 million next year and a couple-ish million this year.

It's an option next year. It saves them a couple of million, but it may cost them in the long run more than that.. They probably could have traded him somewhere else  I doubt their roster is very happy with the trade. 

It may make a little more  sense if their sell off is just beginning. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

More power, better fielder, higher baseball I.Q., can take a walk. Yet somehow some think Leury Garcia is better/just as good or will keep this up.

Cesar is solid, Leury is master of none. I would consider this an upgrade. Nobody wants to watch Leury start almost every day. Goodbye Mendick.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It's an option next year. It saves them a couple of million, but it may cost them in the long run more than that.. They probably could have traded him somewhere else  I doubt their roster is very happy with the trade. 

If they go that route, they get nothing for him.  This at least gives them a middling prospect.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I still don't get this from an Indians perspective unless they really really like the prospect.  Sending someone to a division rival , if he helps the Sox win, makes the Sox a lot of money, and makes their road back to contention longer. The Indians are toast, but it doesn't appear they just acquired the left handed version of Shane Beiber. 

Yeah, Schoop from Detroit made more sense…as their fans are/were under no illusion about competing this year.

And Merrifield is a complicated decision for KC front office, as he’s an important aspect of that offense.  You trade him, you need yet another replacement.  Witt Jr. and Mondesi should be it, but losing him still is a blow to the fanbase, like SEA trading Haniger would be.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It sure seems like there are no position players going for "big time returns" this year, so if you're basically out of the race, you either hold guys or you take the best you can get.

They also wanted to deal Rosario, but he’s hurt right now…maybe Luplow as well, who’s just coming back right before the deadline supposedly.

The guy is a solid baseball player. His power surge may be a mirage, but he does other things well. He's a good pick up. 

I think the power surge is a result of a change in approach but he's also probably getting some luck. His HR/FB% is the highest of his career the same year he has this highest FB% so it makes sense why he's having the best power season of his career. I think it's realisitic to expect him to hit for more power than his historical norms but I wouldn't expect him to continue to hit for power at the same rate as he has this year. 

That said, I don't know that his BABIP will regress to historical norms with this change in approach in mind. In any case, this is a guy with a .350 OBP since becoming a regular in the league. Sox are a better team than yesterday and losing Pilkington is in all likelihood inconsequential. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

White Sox trade for a cheap second baseman who now leads the team in homeruns, won a gold glove last year, and could be a solid utility bench player next year in exchange for a somewhat declining prospect.

Soxtalk says, “that sucks.”

The majority of posters seem to like the move, and the ones who don't (like me) are more upset at this being "the" move. Pilkington is meh but Cleveland does a heck of a job evaluating pitching which would be my only reservation with him. Weird for them to move a cheap regular too, imo. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The majority of posters seem to like the move, and the ones who don't (like me) are more upset at this being "the" move. Pilkington is meh but Cleveland does a heck of a job evaluating pitching which would be my only reservation with him. Weird for them to move a cheap regular too, imo. 

Hopefully “the move” is bringing in two pen arms.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they go that route, they get nothing for him.  This at least gives them a middling prospect.

Or they trade him somewhere else. If this guy helps the White Sox advance in the playoffs, it puts more money in JR's savings account, and probably hurts the Guardians moving forward. I would understand as a Cleveland fan if he was making a ton of money, or the prospect was really exciting, but why do one of your biggest rivals a solid?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Or they trade him somewhere else. If this guy helps the White Sox advance in the playoffs, it puts more money in JR's savings account, and probably hurts the Guardians moving forward. I would understand as a Cleveland fan if he was making a ton of money, or the prospect was really exciting, but why do one of your biggest rivals a solid?

I agree, I don’t know what Cleveland is doing here other than it’s the beginning of their rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I mean I would rather be on the Sox side of this deal for sure, but typically if Cleveland is dealing in recent years, the motivation is to save money.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree, I don’t know what Cleveland is doing here other than it’s the beginning of their rebuild.

They're waving the white flag and letting their fans know they don't care in one transaction. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

This is a solid move.

I better see some people on this board treat it like the next coming.

More than solid. Not that they need him going forward but with a team option, people here were willing to surrender our top prospects for Escobar rental etc. Pilkington is so reasonable under the circumstances  it’s beautiful.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hopefully “the move” is bringing in two pen arms.

Veteran RH bullpen help is a lot more important than RF right now…Sheets and Eaton is fine for a platoon.

Sure, Gallo or Marte or whatever would have been great, but it’s not critical as kong as we get back Robert and Grandal. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They’re in a tough spot.  If they deal Bieber, Ramirez and Karinchak, they lose Francona in all likelihood.

He’s too well-respected around the game to not have a number of contenders coming after him, even moreso than Maddon imo.

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic