Sox at Twins 8/9, 7:10

Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, brijames1957 said:

AV is only 23 yrs of age, he doesn't need days off, he needs AB's. This whole load management BS has gotten way out of hand. 

And the real problem is the guys who need load management aren’t the one getting it.  I’d love to rest Moncada & Abreu more frequently down the stretch so they are at their best come October.  I’d also much rather maximize Vaughn’s playing time, both in terms of at-bats and playing the OF, so he’s prepared for the playoffs.  Getting Leury near everyday playing time doesn’t help ourselves long-term if we’re not resting the guys in need of rest.  And again, I’m not outraged by this, but definitely seems counterproductive and something that warrants discussion on a White Sox message board.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s all fair but Vaughn just sat out on Saturday.  Don’t think this about rest, which is the concerning part.

He has never aged thus many games in a season in his life. He hasn't experienced a full season as the veterans. It's just as much a mental marathon as physical. With a huge lead why push it.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Vaughn should be playing every day while he’s this hot. In baseball an off day can interrupt the rhythm of a hot hitter. When he’s slumping give him a game or two off then. 

Somebody should also tell TLR that old man Leury needs to be plenty rested for his October benchwarming duties…

Have Hawk comeback to tell Leury to grab some bench.

A Monday game in the middle of August against a bum Minnesota team, heading in with a 10.5 game lead, and people are bitching about load management?  

We can, and should, win games against the Central without Vaughn in the lineup.  We did it without Eloy.  We did it without Luis.  We did it without Grandal.  A game off for Vaughn isn't the end of the world.  

I, too, wanted to see our entire core on the field tonight (minus Yas) but that day will come sooner than later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

A Monday game in the middle of August against a bum Minnesota team, heading in with a 10.5 game lead, and people are bitching about load management?  

We can, and should, win games against the Central without Vaughn in the lineup.  We did it without Eloy.  We did it without Luis.  We did it without Grandal.  A game off for Vaughn isn't the end of the world.  

I, too, wanted to see our entire core on the field tonight (minus Yas) but that day will come sooner than later.

Having just created a playoff position tracker, I would note that the White Sox's record against the AL Central could easily matter as the tiebreaker for home field advantage against teams including Tampa Bay, Boston, and anyone out of the NL other than Milwaukee.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Having just created a playoff position tracker, I would note that the White Sox's record against the AL Central could easily matter as the tiebreaker for home field advantage against teams including Tampa Bay, Boston, and anyone out of the NL other than Milwaukee.

I saw your post (nicely done, btw) and understand every game is important.  I also understand that AV riding the pine tonight is absolutely no excuse to lose the game.  The Twins are straight garbage.

I mean, say I go along with resting Vaughn. That’s still got nothing to to with DHing Eloy. Let Garcia DH. Eloy wants LF, it’s pointless to fight him on this.  I don’t know, maybe Larussa is attempting  to keep his ego in check or something. Maybe he knows more about playing that game than we do. But seems rather suspect to go to guns against  your best bat.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I mean, say I go along with resting Vaughn. That’s still got nothing to to with DHing Eloy. Let Garcia DH. Eloy wants LF, it’s pointless to fight him on this.  I don’t know, maybe Larussa is attempting  to keep his ego in check or something. Maybe he knows more about playing that game than we do. But seems rather suspect to go to guns against  your best bat.

You do remember Eloy is coming off a leg injury. He needs some rest to be sure it doesn't happen again as well. Not saying it has to be today but he dies need to break in slowly so there isn't a repeat.7

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You do remember Eloy is coming off a leg injury. He needs some rest to be sure it doesn't happen again as well. Not saying it has to be today but he dies need to break in slowly so there isn't a repeat.7

If that is the trainers advice then fine. But I have no idea if the Sox aren’t just using this as an an excuse, or not.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

?  

are you talking about the sprained ankle he had at the end of the season last year?

15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If that is the trainers advice then fine. But I have no idea if the Sox aren’t just using this as an an excuse, or not.

True. However it makes sense to have him DH some due to that separate issue.  I'm sure they will have Robert do the same thing if something new pops up from lack of playing time.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The groin injury he came back from 6 days ago?

Yes. With the muscle injury in the leg after he came back. His legs may need some time to rest and slowly work back into game shape.

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Oh, so he's been able to sustain his hot hitting even with getting a day or two off per week?   So I guess that dumps that other argument.

Trust LaRussa folks.  

How about the argument that I'd like the Sox to have homefield throughout the playoffs? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He has never aged thus many games in a season in his life. He hasn't experienced a full season as the veterans. It's just as much a mental marathon as physical. With a huge lead why push it.

I have no idea when this BS started in baseball, but if Andrew Vaughn was anything like any other kid in the country who was good and focused on baseball, he was playing 100+ games a summer starting at 13-14.

Load management for young position players in baseball is comical in my opinion. I have no idea why this nonsense started. There wasn't a rash of baseball injuries to young guys because of the increase in games played. Jaysus.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no idea when this BS started in baseball, but if Andrew Vaughn was anything like any other kid in the country who was good and focused on baseball, he was playing 100+ games a summer starting at 13.

Load management for young position players in baseball is comical in my opinion. I have no idea when this nonsense started and why.

Some things I disagree with you on, but this....100%. This idea of 'load management' is garbage, almost as garbage as 'pitch counts'.

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Vaughn needs reps. The guy didn't play in games last year, and this is his first time ever playing the outfield. Reps are the only way to get better, and for a young guy the more the better. He's not some seasoned veteran who has the whole game figured out.