8/14 Sox vs Yankees - 6:10 CT first pitch

40 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Gray White Sox jersey autographed game worn Roberto Hernandez with a field of dreams t-shirt underneath. Greatful Dead Sox cap. I'm standing just over Gardners left shoulder.

0AE31CDB-789A-4978-ABCC-E25A3463D24A.jpeg

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Yep, swung at too many balls, could've walked in another run

TA would not take a walk.  I also think we needed to keep the erratic Britton in the game and not pinch hit for Collins. But TLR loves matchups, couldn’t fathom hitting lefty-lefty even against a bad LHP.

Edited by hankchifan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

gotcha, i thought you were talking about the tough stretch of games coming up punctuated by a series with my Chicago Cubs

But the Cubs are a struggle for Kimbrel to close against too…you tend not to be intimidated much by someone you shared a clubhouse with for so long.  As a pitcher, it’s that much harder to come inside.

13 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I do seem to recall Liam blowing a save before he went on that ridiculous run in May and he said he went over to watch video and picked up on something, maybe it was pitch selection, and made an adjustment.  Perhaps something that might do the trick here.

Liam is a 1 pitch pitcher right now. He can't consistently throw the slider for a strike (or close enough for a swing and miss). His fastball has always been straight as a string. Hitters are just sitting dead red right now and crushing him.

I think he'll figure it out. Personally I'd use him in a lower leverage spot to regain confidence, but it might feel like a demotion and TLR is loathe to do that to a veteran.

Tonight, the minute Collins couldn't block the 2 strike slider in the dirt and allowed Gardner to reach 3rd we were in deep trouble. Liam scrapped the slider and went straight fastball (no pun intended). After the broken bat hit, Liam was toast mentally. The result was the mammoth shot by Gallo. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Liam is a 1 pitch pitcher right now. He can't consistently throw the slider for a strike (or close enough for a swing and miss). His fastball has always been straight as a string. Hitters are just sitting dead red right now and crushing him.

I think he'll figure it out. Personally I'd use him in a lower leverage spot to regain confidence, but it might feel like a demotion and TLR is loathe to do that to a veteran.

Tonight, the minute Collins couldn't block the 2 strike slider in the dirt and allowed Gardner to reach 3rd we were in deep trouble. Liam scrapped the slider and went straight fastball (no pun intended). After the broken bat hit, Liam was toast mentally. The result was the mammoth shot by Gallo. 

Yeah, he's terrible right now. I hope he's tough enough mentally to bounce back before the playoffs. If he does we'll have a chance. 

The pitch that Judge hit, was actually pretty good. And I am guessing only a handful of players are strong enough to muscle a cracked bat hit like he did. 

It seems like his location is just poor of late, the pitch to Gallo was a meatball and he took advantage. 

• Like 1

Both closers were lit up. Very Unfortunate. I don’t understand Zavala pinch hitting unless Leury and Engel couldn’t play at all. Goodwin vs.a lefty multiple times in key situations was odd. The first time, bring Vaughn in for him would have meant Vaughn vs. a lefty with men on. Still, it was an entertaining game, and they still had a shot at the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Both closers were lit up. Very Unfortunate. I don’t understand Zavala pinch hitting unless Leury and Engel couldn’t play at all. Goodwin vs.a lefty multiple times in key situations was odd. The first time, bring Vaughn in for him would have meant Vaughn vs. a lefty with men on. Still, it was an entertaining game, and they still had a shot at the end.

With you 100%.  Leury hitting the IL added some clarity there.  At the time, and after the Zavala at bat, I definitely thought it would have been Leury batting.  Turns out, TLR was down to Collins vs. LHP or Zavala vs. RHP in that spot.  Not a spot anyone should envy.  

Also thought Goodwin taking that at bat in the 10th was bizarre - figured they were holding Leury for Zavala spot.  Goodwin worked the easy walk so it worked out, but was interesting decision.  Again, Leury (and Engel) not being available makes that sequence of decisions make a lot more sense.  Hands were basically tied. 

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But the Cubs are a struggle for Kimbrel to close against too…you tend not to be intimidated much by someone you shared a clubhouse with for so long.  As a pitcher, it’s that much harder to come inside.

Maybe before Cubs fire sale, but not with the current Cubs AAA lineup.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

With you 100%.  Leury hitting the IL added some clarity there.  At the time, and after the Zavala at bat, I definitely thought it would have been Leury batting.  Turns out, TLR was down to Collins vs. LHP or Zavala vs. RHP in that spot.  Not a spot anyone should envy.  

Also thought Goodwin taking that at bat in the 10th was bizarre - figured they were holding Leury for Zavala spot.  Goodwin worked the easy walk so it worked out, but was interesting decision.  Again, Leury (and Engel) not being available makes that sequence of decisions make a lot more sense.  Hands were basically tied. 

Collins vs a crappy LH like Britton who had no command was the better option.

2 hours ago, Mokena94 said:

The pitch that Judge hit, was actually pretty good. And I am guessing only a handful of players are strong enough to muscle a cracked bat hit like he did. 

It seems like his location is just poor of late, the pitch to Gallo was a meatball and he took advantage. 

Hendriks has been wild in the strike zone, serving fast balls down the middle to elite hitters like Judge and Gallo.  He will need a nasty slider to go along with his fastball to get guys like Judge out.

Edited by hankchifan
Grammar

Just now, hankchifan said:

Collins vs a crappy LH like Britton who had no command was the better option.

I think that is certainly debatable.  Collins has a .136/.191/.227 slash line against LHP this year in 48 PA. 

.134/.205/.194 for his career against LHP.  Britton was struggling so I understand what you're getting at.  

I hated the Seby call because I thought Leury made the most sense.  Now that we know he wasn't available, its 2 pretty terrible options.  Neither Collins or Seby are major league hitters.  Collins is about 90% likely to K or GIDP in that spot.  Oh well.  Is what it is.