Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

ReallY hoping we hear some Kimbrel movement today. Would be great if that rumor yesterday was true. I honestly hate that guy and I just want him off this team so bad.

I don’t want Kimbrel either, but he’s useful. Honestly if we can’t get anything but salary relief in return and those dollars aren’t immediately reallocated to Conforto, the Sox are better with Kimbrel on the roster. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

ReallY hoping we hear some Kimbrel movement today. Would be great if that rumor yesterday was true. I honestly hate that guy and I just want him off this team so bad.

That rumor did exactly what it was supposed to do. Generated clicks without costing the person who posted it any credibility when nothing happened.

13 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

While this could be the case I'll say it isn't likely.  The only thing different for Vaughn was possibly the travel.  These kids play 100 - 150 games a year from the time they are 12 now.  And on days they aren't playing they are taking hundreds of swings and pumping iron.  I've felt that 162 grind as an excuse is highly overrated.  Unless a guy doesn't fly well I don't really buy it anymore.  

You can suggest this all you want but the rookie wall and sophomore slump from bodies having to adapt to this schedule are common enough that there are terms for them. And that was before anyone lost a year due to COVID.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t want Kimbrel either, but he’s useful. Honestly if we can’t get anything but salary relief in return and those dollars aren’t immediately reallocated to Conforto, the Sox are better with Kimbrel on the roster. 

From a pure spectator standpoint, I'd love to see the division of the fandom if Kimbrel wasn't traded and reverted to his 2021 Cubs form.

The hot takes at the deadline would be WILD. You'd have a shit ton of people demanding he be traded for max value, others screaming keep him for the Super Bullpen (idk how everyone else is doing in this scenario).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

From a pure spectator standpoint, I'd love to see the division of the fandom if Kimbrel wasn't traded and reverted to his 2021 Cubs form.

The hot takes at the deadline would be WILD. You'd have a shit ton of people demanding he be traded for max value, others screaming keep him for the Super Bullpen (idk how everyone else is doing in this scenario).

The hot takes on this place are always WILD.  Sox we're just picked by an unbiased source as the 2nd best roster in the game behind LAD, and since that time you'd think the Sox would be fighting to be .500 based on the negativity in here.

But yes, I agree.    

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Kimbrel’s is going to be traded. Every indication is leaning towards that.

Much like Balta's offseason long take on the CBT not raising past $212M, he'll dig his heels in on Kimbrel being untradable until it happens.  Just his bit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Montas was the centerpiece of the Todd Frazier trade and was 54th overall prospect per Baseball America.  He was no throw-in and we never traded him to OAK.

I am coming to find out that other teams are just better at developing players or identifying potential better than the Whitesox are. Oakland just has some pretty good insights as it pertains to trades with the whitesox.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Much like Balta's offseason long take on the CBT not raising past $212M, he'll dig his heels in on Kimbrel being untradable until it happens.  Just his bit. 

He is absolutely tradeable. The White Sox will just have to eat some money to make it happen, or take back an equally bad contract.

1 minute ago, quickman said:

I am coming to find out that other teams are just better at developing players or identifying potential better than the Whitesox are. Oakland just has some pretty good insights as it pertains to trades with the whitesox.

Oakland actually got Montas from the Dodgers.

• Like 1

Just now, quickman said:

Again, Montas was a well regarded prospect when we dealt him to the Dodgers.  If anyone deserves credit for developing him it’s the Sox as they got him as a low level secondary piece in the Jake Peavy trade.  We never traded him to the A’s.

I just want Kimbrel dealt so I never have to argue on his behalf again, which is not an enjoyable debate given what we gave up and how shitty he was with us.  Although I fully agree with @ChiSox59 that we better get something useful for him or use the salary relief towards a SP or RF.  Getting rid of him to simply line Jerry’s pockets makes no sense.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oakland actually got Montas from the Dodgers.

Yes traded with Thompson to the dodgers, he never played with them , went to oakland I get it. Semian, Bassitt other examples in recent history . that said maybe Oakland does a better job or developing some of the fringe players. maybe they don't.

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Yes traded with Thompson to the dodgers, he never played with them , went to oakland I get it. Semian, Bassitt other examples in recent history . that said maybe Oakland does a better job or developing some of the fringe players. maybe they don't.

Yes. While this may have changed now, at least in 15-16 the As worked way harder in developing players. There was a notable article in Oakland back in ‘15 after they brought in Ron Washington to coach Semien where Wash said that Marcus had never done basic SS drills. He wasn’t saying this to indict the White Sox, he was trying to give the Oakland press something positive - but a guy coming up through the entire organization, getting shoe-horned into being a utility guy, playing SS more than any other position, and never once doing basic SS fielding drills or being taught footing? That was a perfect summary of the franchises at the time.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, Montas was a well regarded prospect when we dealt him to the Dodgers.  If anyone deserves credit for developing him it’s the Sox as they got him as a low level secondary piece in the Jake Peavy trade.  We never traded him to the A’s.

he was. I was at a game he was throwing 100 coming out of the bullpen. He was heavier back then, had put on a lot of weight, and a lot of bad weight, quickly. The word I heard was that the White Sox were very concerned about his knees holding up.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That rumor did exactly what it was supposed to do. Generated clicks without costing the person who posted it any credibility when nothing happened.

I disagree. I know of the two guys who run that pod and they aren’t like that at all. One of them is heavily connected to Kris Bryant. They aren’t looking for clicks in the way a random Twitter “insider” would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Montas was a fireballer in the Red Sox system, came over in the Peavy trade.
  • Got developed by the Sox, made the majors. Turned into a Top 100.
  • Traded to Dodgers, throws 16 innings in 2016 in theirs system. They're good, but 16 innings.
  • Traded him to Oakland.
  • Not good in 2017 or 2018.
  • Good in 2019, busted for steroids.
  • Bad in 2020.
  • Great in 2021.

The White Sox developed him as a prospect - a lot like Semien. Also like Semien, he was bad until 2019*.  J.B. Wendelken and Bassitt didn't take time to adjust.

The counter point is that the Sox did fuck all in that time period and it would have been great watching the four of them grow up with the current core (assuming the Sale, Quintana, and Eaton deals pan out the same without the Samardzija, Shields, and Frazier failures goading the rebuild).

Edit: Semien put up his first good fWAR (3.9) in 2018. He exploded in 2019.

• Like 3

If you are just going to trade him for another bad contract, why did they pick up the option? Just buying him out opened up those funds at the beginning of the winter to be used on something useful. Now, even if a miracle occurs and those funds are freed up, most of the options where you could have used those funds aren't available. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. While this may have changed now, at least in 15-16 the As worked way harder in developing players. There was a notable article in Oakland back in ‘15 after they brought in Ron Washington to coach Semien where Wash said that Marcus had never done basic SS drills. He wasn’t saying this to indict the White Sox, he was trying to give the Oakland press something positive - but a guy coming up through the entire organization, getting shoe-horned into being a utility guy, playing SS more than any other position, and never once doing basic SS fielding drills or being taught footing? That was a perfect summary of the franchises at the time.

Part of Semien not doing SS drills might have been cause the Sox were using him as a second baseman since Anderson was the anointed shortstop. And Semien was not good under Ron Washington.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

If you are just going to trade him for another bad contract, why did they pick up the option? Just buying him out opened up those funds at the beginning of the winter to be used on something useful. Now, even if a miracle occurs and those funds are freed up, most of the options where you could have used those funds aren't available. 

The same reason they didn't offer Rodon a QO. They lack a basic understanding of the market. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Part of Semien not doing SS drills might have been cause the Sox were using him as a second baseman since Anderson was the anointed shortstop. And Semien was not good under Ron Washington.

Wash was brought in to coach him after he got off to a terrible defensive start in ‘15, because the White Sox had never done basic defensive drills with him. Semien showed rapid improvement - see his first and second half error totals in ‘15.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

The same reason they didn't offer Rodon a QO. They lack a basic understanding of the market. 

I still disagree with Rodon. They did not want any chance of having to depend upon him this year.

It may turn out they were wrong, but that is a chance I would not take either.

• Quin locked this topic