Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

I foresee an amazing stupendous collapse after what used to be called an Off-season Oriental Fire Drill. Everybody run backwards in circles with your eyes closed. New management will be brought in by the board after having their senses assaulted all year.

Let's trade for Hosmer lollzz

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm ok with trading Vaughn for a SP because I think that both Sheets and Burger can play in MLB. Vaughn has a lot more trade value than the other two and it might be a better use of resources to trade him. 

Burger might not be great at drawing walks but he hits the ball  HARD

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm ok with trading Vaughn for a SP because I think that both Sheets and Burger can play in MLB. Vaughn has a lot more trade value than the other two and it might be a better use of resources to trade him. 

Burger might not be great at drawing walks but he hits the ball  HARD

I think I said this in another thread, but I'm OK with trading Vaughn for a 3+ WAR pitcher, but not for some guy who might not be better than Keuchel.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

For all the crap that this front office gets, they sold so incredibly close to the top of Chris Sale's career, and are so insanely lucky that they were not the ones who gave him his last contract.

I think the White Sox were also much more invested in Sale's long term health than the Red Sox.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For all the crap that this front office gets, they sold so incredibly close to the top of Chris Sale's career, and are so insanely lucky that they were not the ones who gave him his last contract.

Not lucky. They knew how to mange that arm. He went to Boston and they let him do what he wanted.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not lucky. They knew how to mange that arm. He went to Boston and they let him do what he wanted.

That's probably entirely fair.  The broader point being, yes, they made out like bandits on the Quintana/Eaton/Sale trades.  Not only that, they sold at the highs on all three of them.

Tough to say both teams didn't get what they wanted to out of the Sale trade, obviously. He was still a top ~3 pitcher in the world for them for 2 seasons, and he was on the mound when they won the World Series. He had so many close calls with elbow issues while on the Sox, and very few pitchers who throw that hard can avoid TJ their entire career.

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Tough to say both teams didn't get what they wanted to out of the Sale trade, obviously. He was still a top ~3 pitcher in the world for them for 2 seasons, and he was on the mound when they won the World Series. He had so many close calls with elbow issues while on the Sox, and very few pitchers who throw that hard can avoid TJ their entire career.

You mean very few pitchers who try throw hard all the time can avoid UCL reconstruction. 

We used to be able to avoid it for most pitchers.

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

my goodness

To move Machado back to SS?   Seems Preller is really trying to avoid breaking camp with Abrams.

Because right now Kim would play against lefties, Abrams against RHP and also getting thrown into the OF mix.

Unless they’re dumping Hosmer again and moving Ramirez to 1B/DH.  That doesn’t seem to make much sense.  Of course, there could be another huge payroll team that wants Jose Ramirez and can afford his extension asking price but doesn’t have prospects to pull it off.

Edited by caulfield12

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Being an Indians fan would be so awful. 

Bieber, Plesac, Civale and Rosario among others would be next to go.  Building around a volatile fireballing closer in Clase who just signed an extension would be an interesting choice.  Or he suddenly starts drawing trade interest from practically every team in baseball with prospects to deal that desires a so-called super pen.

1 minute ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Until Tatis gets back, maybe.  Then what?  Rotating DH?

They have Voit, Hosmer, Profar, Myers, Beaty and Abrams who could all DH.  No real backup CFer…unless they throw Abrams out there.

Just really think they are leery about starting Abrams with 350 minor league at-bats coming out of high school, then the broken leg sidelining him for half of 2021.

• Quin locked this topic