Micker Adolfo DFA'd

DirtySox

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Just putting my neck out but I mostly feel like if we have to DFA micker he will actually make it down to Charlotte.

He’s a tough player to evaluate. With rosters expanded to 28, I’d think a rebuilding team would give him a month tryout, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he does go through unclaimed.

33 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sox take off in six hours, so hopefully they save Micker from having to go to Detroit.

Or he joins the Tigers with Riley Greene out due to his foot. 

You just know the Guardians or Royals will take him, but Oakland would be a natural landing place.  Baltimore if they're not satisfied with Santender.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sox take off in six hours, so hopefully they save Micker from having to go to Detroit.

Would they even bother bringing him to Detroit?  Sounds like the OD roster is set and he is not on it.  Probably makes sense to just leave him in AZ until he finds a new home. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would they even bother bringing him to Detroit?  Sounds like the OD roster is set and he is not on it.  Probably makes sense to just leave him in AZ until he finds a new home. 

True. Chances are he already knows his days with the Sox are over, so he’s probably just waiting for a call to let him know where to go.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If he has family and some sort of semi-permanent home somewhere in the US, he might as well go there and wait until he's traded or claimed. If he doesn't have that, then yeah, just stay in Arizona.

• Like 1

What could the value of Adolfo be? There are a surprisingly few RFs that Fangraphs projects to produce more than 2 WAR. They only have 9 2+ WAR RF listed on their depth charts prediction page. To be fair this doesn't take into account the WAR multi-position outfielders are expected to produce in the other outfield spots. Still they've got a number of competing teams like the Red Sox, Padres, and Rangers who don't have a very productive RF. Maybe one of these teams wants to catch a Yermin in a bottle in RF by throwing a mid-level prospect to the Sox. Alternatively the Royals, DBacks, Reds, Pirates, or Rockies could play long term and hope a year or two of seasoning does him well.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got a high-ceiling/low-floor young prospect who can slot into the top 15 of our organization. It doesn't seem too unreasonable given that RF is a very weak position in MLB right now, and there are plenty of teams without a decent player manning the spot. I think top 15 would be around his peak value since he is out of options and if he sucks there's no real recourse for the other team.

11 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

What could the value of Adolfo be? There are a surprisingly few RFs that Fangraphs projects to produce more than 2 WAR. They only have 9 2+ WAR RF listed on their depth charts prediction page. To be fair this doesn't take into account the WAR multi-position outfielders are expected to produce in the other outfield spots. Still they've got a number of competing teams like the Red Sox, Padres, and Rangers who don't have a very productive RF. Maybe one of these teams wants to catch a Yermin in a bottle in RF by throwing a mid-level prospect to the Sox. Alternatively the Royals, DBacks, Reds, Pirates, or Rockies could play long term and hope a year or two of seasoning does him well.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got a high-ceiling/low-floor young prospect who can slot into the top 15 of our organization. It doesn't seem too unreasonable given that RF is a very weak position in MLB right now, and there are plenty of teams without a decent player manning the spot. I think top 15 would be around his peak value since he is out of options and if he sucks there's no real recourse for the other team.

I am guessing nothing.  I'm not sure why he'd have any value 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, MackowiakYakYak said:

MLB trade values has him at a 2.5.  Would love if they could get a lefty pen piece with some/any MLB experience such as this deal from one of the teams you mentioned. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
regain attachment quota
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am guessing nothing.  I'm not sure why he'd have any value 

How many other RF prospects are MLB ready right now, are ready to be traded, and have the upside of Adolfo? I believe the consensus is that one of the teams with high waiver priority would pick him up. So let’s say the Pirates have a roster spot and don’t have a 4th outfielder who projects some upside. Wouldn’t it make sense for them to pick up Adolfo for a mid-level prospect if they think the Orioles would grab him first? Same goes for any of the other teams I listed.

You’re simultaneously buying low and high on Adolfo. He’s looking great and is MLB ready while having diminished value because of his lack of options. Adolfo has always been fairly well-respected for his skillset but he’s been injured. If I recall correctly Kieth Law or another prospects guy used to talk about Adolfo being a borderline top 100 prospect if he could ever be healthy. I’d love for a 2017-2020 Sox team to have traded away a prospect for current moment Adolfo. He’s more interesting now than Mazara, Palka, or Eaton were.

• Like 2

Just now, MackowiakYakYak said:

How many other RF prospects are MLB ready right now, are ready to be traded, and have the upside of Adolfo? I believe the consensus is that one of the teams with high waiver priority would pick him up. So let’s say the Pirates have a roster spot and don’t have a 4th outfielder who projects some upside. Wouldn’t it make sense for them to pick up Adolfo for a mid-level prospect if they think the Orioles would grab him first? Same goes for any of the other teams I listed.

You’re simultaneously buying low and high on Adolfo. He’s looking great and is MLB ready while having diminished value because of his lack of options. Adolfo has always been fairly well-respected for his skillset but he’s been injured. If I recall correctly Kieth Law or another prospects guy used to talk about Adolfo being a borderline top 100 prospect if he could ever be healthy. I’d love for a 2017-2020 Sox team to have traded away a prospect for current moment Adolfo. He’s more interesting now than Mazara, Palka, or Eaton were.

He has upside but he also has a ton of questions.  Can he make enough contact? And the kicker is his no options situation doesn't change if you need to send him down. You would probably lose him for nothing. Hahn would be very lucky to get anything useful for him. Probably a lottery ticket we forget even existed in a month or so..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

He struck out 40% in AA

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

He struck out 40% in AA

35% in 240 PA in AA and then 32% in 160 PA in AAA. Pretty bad rates but that’s a huge difference from 40% especially when he’s putting up .250+ iso in his first year post-pandemic.

I agree that my prospect hopes are a little high to get someone to slot into our top 15, but also we have a terrible system so our #15 is a lot of other teams’ #25.

edit: Also I’m just spitballing to see what other people think a return might be. I’m arguing he might get more of a return than a pure nobody.

Edited by MackowiakYakYak

4 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

35% in 240 PA in AA and then 32% in 160 PA in AAA. Pretty bad rates but that’s a huge difference from 40% especially when he’s putting up .250+ iso in his first year post-pandemic.

I agree that my prospect hopes are a little high to get someone to slot into our top 15, but also we have a terrible system so our #15 is a lot of other teams’ #25.

edit: Also I’m just spitballing to see what other people think a return might be. I’m arguing he might get more of a return than a pure nobody.

Unfortunately, the contract situation makes it very likely that any return will be a pure nobody. Only a handful of noncompetitive teams will give a roster spot to this guy for the full year. Those teams are likely very close to the early selections on the waiver wire, so they can just take a shot at getting him for nothing. There is also a good chance he's released later this year if he does struggle.

Your only real option is to find a pitcher on someone's roster who is also out of options, as the White Sox could certainly bury another pitcher in that bullpen for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, GreenSox said:

Well the Sox can give themselves some time with the expanded rosters. Mendick, e.g. isn't exactly a "must have" for the first week.

No TA for the first two games but he's still taking up a roster spot. Romy is starting in the minors, Leury will almost certainly be the starting SS, and they'll want someone who can backup there, I'd think.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Well the Sox can give themselves some time with the expanded rosters. Mendick, e.g. isn't exactly a "must have" for the first week.

while I tend to agree that I’d rather carry Micker than Mendick, sounds like the Decision was already made. Micker isn’t on the roster. So he’s either traded next 36 hours or DFAd. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

while I tend to agree that I’d rather carry Micker than Mendick, sounds like the Decision was already made. Micker isn’t on the roster. So he’s either traded next 36 hours or DFAd. 

I’ve been out of the loop today. Was the official 28-man roster released?