Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move by us. I saw Trayce as a 4th OF/Platoon/Oft used defensive replacement, and while that is valuable, I don't see it as a huge loss. I thought Micah could be a good player but a change of scenery was necessar. And Montas was going to get traded 1 way or another. No spots in the rotation open with Fulmer and Adams making a fast path to the majors, and sticking him in the pen would have been a disservice to him imo.

We have more than enough pop at 3B and 2B that Saladino should stay at SS to have a vastly inproved infield offensively and defensively. Add in Upton/Cespedes at RF as huge improvements on both sides and we can start to talk about seriously contending

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Lawrie had an OBP of .299 and was a 0.6 WAR player last year. You can always hope for the best but it's not like we picked up the 2nd coming of Joe Morgan.

Even if you assume he repeats those numbers, and doesn't benefit at all from not playing in Oakland again, his OPS is over 100 points greater than Carlos Sanchez who finished the season at 2B, and 130 points better than Micah Johson who started there.

I LOVE this trade. Gave up three talented but flawed prospects for one of the best 3B in baseball. With two years of control, you can give him a few months and then possibly discuss extension, but if he's not interested you'll most likely end up with a comp pick when leaves and hopefully have Trey Michalczewski ready to replace him at that time (obviously not a sure thing).

Having said that, we still need to add an OF to replace Avi. Do that, and this team can be serious contenders next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Even if you assume he repeats those numbers, and doesn't benefit at all from not playing in Oakland again, his OPS is over 100 points greater than Carlos Sanchez who finished the season at 2B, and 130 points better than Micah Johson who started there.

In 2013, Gordon Beckham's RC+ at 2b was 90 (his best year there). Lawrie's RC+ last year was 94.

Sox address pitching and outfield holes with acquisitions of Samardzija, Robertson, and Cabrera.

Sox address infield and outfield holes with acquisitions of Lawrie, Frazier, and (outfielder).

Deja vu. Hope it goes better this time. At least the Cubs have basically already "won the offseason", since that usually results in a sub .500 season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
Cespedes for the rest of us?

No. We have added a solid and an above average baseball player, that said, both struggle at consistently getting on base. We need to address that and Cespedes just isn't near the OBP guy. I bet the Sox have Abreu spending a lot of time with Puig on this trip to Cuba. Maybe Alexei too (as I still think we bring him back at the right price). That said, org is very high on Saladino's defense @ SS.

I am thinking the Sox are going to surprise us and it won't be one of the FA guys we've been talking all along. If it is one of them, I think it will be Upton.

Montas has a big arm, can hit 100 and his slider is nasty at times. But his command is rough on all his pitches, his mechanics are inconsistent, and he is far too gun-happy which makes his pitches flatten. He's a reliever, and it isn't guaranteed even that will work.

Thompson is a solid 4th OF right now, with a ceiling of a starting CF regular, but that's a roll of the dice.

Micah can hit in the majors and has game-changing speed, but he can't defend his position at second and can't handle other positions. Plus he has repeated health issues.

The Sox got an All Star-level 3B for at least two years, for that? Win. Big win. And this coming from a guy who follows (and writes about) the minor league system closely.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
I LOVE this trade. Gave up three talented but flawed prospects for one of the best 3B in baseball. With two years of control, you can give him a few months and then possibly discuss extension, but if he's not interested you'll most likely end up with a comp pick when leaves and hopefully have Trey Michalczewski ready to replace him at that time (obviously not a sure thing).

Having said that, we still need to add an OF to replace Avi. Do that, and this team can be serious contenders next year.

Agreed. It's refreshing for Hahn to sell high on a guy like Thompson instead of sitting on him until he's no longer a viable bargaining piece.