Jump to content
soxfan49

Offseason Targets

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think he goes to the minors to "stretch out".. Has he ever pitched more than 60 innings?

Why couldn't he stretch out with the Sox ? If he's healthy we don't know how long that will last. He showed ability to get MLB hitters out. Use him as an opener. I don't know how other teams do that on a consistent basis but might as well use him now before his arm explodes. Start him once a week until he hits his innings limit if he lasts that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the record, we just added a fire reaction for the post reacts.  Enjoy.

  • Like 1
  • Fire 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wanted Brantley 2 years ago. He didn't get much play around here 2 years ago when everyone was so sure one of Adolfo, Gonzalez or Rutherford might be ready. Now he would just be another DH. He got 19 starts in the OF this year. He's no good to the Sox if he can't competently play the field anymore. Astros don't seem to think he can.

Sox might keep Mazara . Funny thing was no one wanted him for what he was, a consistently good hitter against RHP. That Mazara would've been super on the Sox. That's why I always stuck up for Mazara . Consistent hitter vs. RHP with a chance to break out . He would've been a vast improvement over 2019 RF but instead he turned into an exact copy of them. Get the old DH I expect a decline . Get the young RF in the prime of his career and he gets sick and plays like crap too ? That hurt. I can understand how this year sucked for him . But him sucking for the Sox just continued our strange ability lately to pick exactly the wrong guy.

 

Stoney was so down on Mazara on today’s podcast that it makes it hard for me to believe he is still in their plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto would be great, but he's a FA after next year.  I am not moving Cease for 1 year of anybody.

With Nimmo you at least get two years.  If I am trading Cease to the Mets, I want Diaz back with Nimmo.  Otherwise its not worth it.  

And then you lock him up long term, Conforto is a top 10 Right Fielder in baseball, has pop and can play a good right field, I’m all in on Conforto unfortunately because the Sox couldn’t nab Harper, Betts, Yelich - feel like Conforto would the most ideal option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rey21 said:

And then you lock him up long term, Conforto is a top 10 Right Fielder in baseball, has pop and can play a good right field, I’m all in on Conforto unfortunately because the Sox couldn’t nab Harper, Betts, Yelich - feel like Conforto would the most ideal option 

Conforto would be absolutely perfect. Good D, Good Bath and a LH hitter.. He's the perfect fit.. You HAVE to accept Cease if that's what they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Conforto would be absolutely perfect. Good D, Good Bath and a LH hitter.. He's the perfect fit.. You HAVE to accept Cease if that's what they want.

I would 10000% be okay with Cease being the centerpiece for Conforto, I understand his ceiling is high but if you’re signing Stroman/Bauer Cease becomes easily expendable and really shouldn’t even be up for debate in the front office. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I would 10000% be okay with Cease being the centerpiece for Conforto, I understand his ceiling is high but if you’re signing Stroman/Bauer Cease becomes easily expendable and really shouldn’t even be up for debate in the front office. 

This is the most crucial offseason in the last 15 years TBH, I understand it’s Jerry Reinsdorf’s money and he’s gonna do what he wants with it but damnit if he limits the spending now I have no hope in the front office to actually finish the job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So what do you think happens with Crochet next year ? Assume he doesn't need major surgery. They did draft him as a starter so when does he start starting ?

They stretch him out at a low level in the minors. He has very few innings under his belt. The most he threw in college is 65 innings. I would guess he needs at least 2 years in the minors to stretch out and fine tune his repertoire. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

They stretch him out at a low level in the minors. He has very few innings under his belt. The most he threw in college is 65 innings. I would guess he needs at least 2 years in the minors to stretch out and fine tune his repertoire. 

I could see them stretching him out in the high minors, AA or AAA then bring him up to the bullpen for the end of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I could see them stretching him out in the high minors, AA or AAA then bring him up to the bullpen for the end of the season.

Definitely a possibility. He's shown how great he can be in the bullpen. Not sure if they'll want to keep jerking him between starter and reliever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I could see them stretching him out in the high minors, AA or AAA then bring him up to the bullpen for the end of the season.

Definitely. Manage his workload all season and then when minor league season ends, call him up in time to be eligible for playoffs/pitch in September when minor league season is over (all of course, if there is a minor league season).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I could see them stretching him out in the high minors, AA or AAA then bring him up to the bullpen for the end of the season.

This is exactly what I see too.. Have him start all year in the minors.  Get 80+ innings and then bring him up in September for the playoffs in the bullpen.  He'd then get to around 100 innings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

They stretch him out at a low level in the minors. He has very few innings under his belt. The most he threw in college is 65 innings. I would guess he needs at least 2 years in the minors to stretch out and fine tune his repertoire. 

Why not stretch him in the majors for two years eating middle innings as a reliever like teams used to do with young kids back in the day.  You can easily get him up to 120 innings by having him as a long reliever in the bigs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just for the record, we just added a fire reaction for the post reacts.  Enjoy.

Oh snap! Time to get to work!!!

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

So there are rumblings that the Nats may decline Adam Eaton's option.  

What are people's opinions on him in RF?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lh6b8t64eqq9ab0fal

I would love that. He’s coming off a rough season but I’d absolutely take him over Mazara. Give him a one year prove it deal and stick him in RF in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, striker said:

Give me JBJ ($8m), LeMahieu ($18m/3) and Gausman ($16m/3) and call it day. That gives us a great bat, a good LH bat, 180 innings and outfield/infield depth. This gets us to the trade deadline where we can plug any additional holes.

 

SS Anderson
3B/DH/2B LeMahieu
CA/1B/DH Grandal
1B/DH Abreu
LF/DH Jimenez
3B/DH Moncada
CF Robert
RF/LF/CF JBJ
2B Madrigal

SP Giolito
SP Keuchel
SP Gausman
SP Dunning
SP Cease/Kopech

Underpaying LeMahieu and Gausman by quite a bit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would love that. He’s coming off a rough season but I’d absolutely take him over Mazara. Give him a one year prove it deal and stick him in RF in 2021.

Too much bad blood remaining from the LaRoche/Drake/Sale fiasco...don't see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rey21 said:

And then you lock him up long term, Conforto is a top 10 Right Fielder in baseball, has pop and can play a good right field, I’m all in on Conforto unfortunately because the Sox couldn’t nab Harper, Betts, Yelich - feel like Conforto would the most ideal option 

So you expect a Top !0 RF in baseball to just forego Free Agency ? Not likely.  You just can't give up Cease (+) for a guy with 1 year left with just a hope and a prayer of locking him up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just for the record, we just added a fire reaction for the post reacts.  Enjoy.

Could you add something hotter - possibly a blue flame emoji for Jack Parkman's gamethread takes?

  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, turnin' two said:

So there are rumblings that the Nats may decline Adam Eaton's option.  

What are people's opinions on him in RF?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lh6b8t64eqq9ab0fal

If he weren't such an asshat in the clubhouse I might be interested as a stopgap.  But that is one gigantic ass IF.  No way he returns after the LaRoche fiasco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

If he weren't such an asshat in the clubhouse I might be interested as a stopgap.  But that is one gigantic ass IF.  No way he returns after the LaRoche fiasco. 

If Adam LaRoche is willing to come out of his retirement doing undercover missions to stop sex slave trading in Southeast Asia and we can bring the entire band back together including team leader Drake then I’m totally game.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Could you add something hotter - possibly a blue flame emoji for Jack Parkman's gamethread takes?

Let's not pretend that you wouldn't be earning just as many blue flames

  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

So there are rumblings that the Nats may decline Adam Eaton's option.  

What are people's opinions on him in RF?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lh6b8t64eqq9ab0fal

It is tough to evaluate 2020, but he seems to have had a pretty convincing 3 season decline before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Let's not pretend that you wouldn't be earning just as many blue flames

Need this one

download.jpg

  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×