Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
One of these is not like the other. One is completely worth tanking for, the other is not. I've showed the graph time and time again: expected WAR of the first 2-3 picks is much, much greater than the rest of the 1st round. You need to suck hard to get the potential superstars. Yes, they don't always pan out, but more often than not if you draft top 3 you get at least an average MLB player eventually.

I don't see the sox as the worst team in baseball, or even bottom three, unless we deal Quintana and abreu.

The padres rotation is terrible. The twins appear set on a weak season as well.

Abreast, Cabrera,, Anderson, Frazier is enough of a lineup from being worst in the mlb

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't see the sox as the worst team in baseball, or even bottom three, unless we deal Quintana and abreu.

The padres rotation is terrible. The twins appear set on a weak season as well.

Abreast, Cabrera,, Anderson, Frazier is enough of a lineup from being worst in the mlb

Abreast always makes things better.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
One of these is not like the other. One is completely worth tanking for, the other is not. I've showed the graph time and time again: expected WAR of the first 2-3 picks is much, much greater than the rest of the 1st round. You need to suck hard to get the potential superstars. Yes, they don't always pan out, but more often than not if you draft top 3 you get at least an average MLB player eventually.

It's a bit simplistic, but had we had the same position in 2015 that we had in 2014, we could have selected Brendan Rodgers (current Q target, top ten prospect), Kyle Tucker (current Q target, top 50 prospect), and Andrew Benintendi (self explanatory).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
It's a bit simplistic, but had we had the same position in 2015 that we had in 2014, we could have selected Brendan Rodgers (current Q target, top ten prospect), Kyle Tucker (current Q target, top 50 prospect), and Andrew Benintendi (self explanatory).

Same could be said for nearly every draft. Hopefully we can select a solid prospect number 11 overall who can help us

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
My point was many are fixated on a Q trade. Once he goes, and maybe a couple of lesser deals, there will be nothing. If you are bored to tears right now, it's going to last a while after something happens in the next few weeks. Next offseason will be about as boring for a Sox fan as it can get.

Yeah, I get that, many have said they have the patience for a rebuild but two months later are starting to panic because all of the veterans have yet to have been traded. This is going to take a while. Q and Jones could get moved anytime, Robertson, Frazier, Abreu, and Cabrera are unlikely to be moved until after the season has started when teams get a better idea of what they have on their roster.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
2018 is supposed to be a really strong draft for college prospects. 2017 wouldn't be a bad year to tank.

Some very good prospects that I anticipate the Sox have a crack at. Potentially franchise altering from what I have seen and read. A bad season should net us a Bryant-type hitter that this "firesale" and system severely lack. From what we've seen trade-wise, they desperately need to be top 2.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Some very good prospects that I anticipate the Sox have a crack at. Potentially franchise altering from what I have seen and read. A bad season should net us a Bryant-type hitter that this "firesale" and system severely lack. From what we've seen trade-wise, they desperately need to be top 2.

Not quite there yet. Especially if certain guys are here for half the season or full season.

From Merk's mailbag:

With all the arms the White Sox have now, should trades focus on position players or just best package available?

-- Charles, @RUN_CBC

Trades should focus on the best players available, and remember, the White Sox have thoroughly researched who they are targeting. It's not like they are going through MLBPipeline's Top 30 Prospect lists for each team and yelling out "Oh, yeah. I forgot about him." As the old adage goes, a team can never have enough pitching.

LOL

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/212...ier-jose-abreu/

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)

Isn't that what Moncada is? Having 2 is better, though.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
Isn't that what Moncada is? Having 2 is better, though.

Best case scenario is the Pirates relent and ship off Meadows for and, Sox draft Seth Beer.

That gives you Anderson, Moncada, Meadows, Beer and Collins.

Well, they've basically got three weeks to get something done before Sox Fest at the end of the month...

Then, it gets a bit uncomfortable for both Jose and the club, but he's never been anything but the best teammate since 2012. He certainly understands the situation...and is probably quite excited to get an opportunity to play for a playoff-contending team with an offense that can consistently support him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien

Listening to Sox Podcast with Chuck Garfein, Ryan Mcguffey, and Chris Kamka. Chuck said he KNOWS that the Astros, Pirates, and Braves have made offers for Q.

I know the Sox are asking a lot for Q and it's understandable. He keeps getting better and better every year. Seems like these teams are waiting out the whole off season to drive down prices. With Q though I can't understand why he hasn't been moved yet. If he goes to the NL he could get even better and a team could potentially recoup a lot of what they lost trading for him while also getting a couple years of good production from him. It really seems like a win win win situation for the team getting him. Production, salary, recoup talent later. More NL teams need to step up and take advantage of such a unique situation.

It's too bad the Dodgers are such misers with their young talent. Friedman has brought the Tampa Bay mind set to a very rich team and looks like the Dodgers will keep hoarding prospects .

Some of their moves just boggle my mind. I remember commenting last year how they signed all these broken down starting pitchers and was pretty sure they didnt have enough starting pitching to be a serious World Series candidate. Why would they sign guys like Brandon McCarthy, Scott Kazmir and Brett Anderson for $110M worth of contracts or give a 36 year old Rich Hill 3 more years at near $50M ?

Now again they are low balling the Twins for Dozier who is a perfect fit for them. The Dodgers were last in baseball by a wide margin last year in OPS against left handed pitching and need a 2nd baseman. It's like a King dealing with peasants.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
I know the Sox are asking a lot for Q and it's understandable. He keeps getting better and better every year. Seems like these teams are waiting out the whole off season to drive down prices. With Q though I can't understand why he hasn't been moved yet. If he goes to the NL he could get even better and a team could potentially recoup a lot of what they lost trading for him while also getting a couple years of good production from him. It really seems like a win win win situation for the team getting him. Production, salary, recoup talent later. More NL teams need to step up and take advantage of such a unique situation.

It's too bad the Dodgers are such misers with their young talent. Friedman has brought the Tampa Bay mind set to a very rich team and looks like the Dodgers will keep hoarding prospects .

Some of their moves just boggle my mind. I remember commenting last year how they signed all these broken down starting pitchers and was pretty sure they didnt have enough starting pitching to be a serious World Series candidate. Why would they sign guys like Brandon McCarthy, Scott Kazmir and Brett Anderson for $110M worth of contracts or give a 36 year old Rich Hill 3 more years at near $50M ?

Now again they are low balling the Twins for Dozier who is a perfect fit for them. The Dodgers were last in baseball by a wide margin last year in OPS against left handed pitching and need a 2nd baseman. It's like a King dealing with peasants.

You know the more I read on Dodgers prospects it seems like Bellinger is a top 10 prospect in the game and rated low on MLB Piipline. Everybody raves about the bat and glove. I would probably take him over Meadows for the centerpiece.