Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
Now Renteria must be experiencing deja vu.

The big question is who manages the next White Sox playoff team. Cleveland won't be able to hold their window open for more than two more years, three tops.

And we're far ahead of the rest of the division in jumpstarting in two days...not to mention the pot of gold tv revenues that no other divisional team will have access to. This young team will be a much easier sell than the 2013-2016 version.

Renteria probably gets the benefit of the doubt and serves through the rebuild, kind of like the Brewers are doing with Counsell.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
Maybe. But instead of watching such dread with no help in sight from the minor leagues, now we can enjoy the anticipation of this new and talented wave of young players arriving on the scene in the next year or so. We had no such hopes in these previous horrible years under the misguided direction the team went during that time.

This is my thought

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Unless I live in Charlotte or Birmingham, nothing has changed.

Giolito & Lopez will be on our opening day roster. Moncada won't be, but he'll be up by June (no point in having him up sooner then mid May to ensure we maximize our value of him and get him for half of next year (on MLB roster) plus another 6 years of full control. Kopech is probably a year away as is Dunning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
Now Renteria must be experiencing deja vu.

The big question is who manages the next White Sox playoff team. Cleveland won't be able to hold their window open for more than two more years, three tops.

And we're far ahead of the rest of the division in jumpstarting in two days...not to mention the pot of gold tv revenues that no other divisional team will have access to. This young team will be a much easier sell than the 2013-2016 version.

Detroit is playing the role of past White Sox teams. Dangling the idea of rebuilding, but no go.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
Was about to say. We pretty much dealt Santiago for Eaton which turned into Gilito, Lopez, and Dunning. We shall see how it works out to see if we won twice.

Not sure how we do not consider this trade a win because we were going to suck the next two seasons at a minimum anyways. Eaton wouldn't have mattered.

Shop Quintana for bats, or hell, keep him if you can't land what you want.

Our farm system has completely changed in the last 36 hours from a bottom five to fringe top 10, possibly higher with another few moves

1) Moncada

2) Giolito

3) Kopech

4) Lopez

5) Collins

6) Fulmer

7) Burdi

8) Dunning

9) Adams

10) Basabe

11) Tilson

12) Engel

13) Hansen

14) Michaelczewski

15) Fisher

That is a dramatically improved system

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Not sure how we do not consider this trade a win because we were going to suck the next two seasons at a minimum anyways. Eaton wouldn't have mattered.

Shop Quintana for bats, or hell, keep him if you can't land what you want.

Our farm system has completely changed in the last 36 hours from a bottom five to fringe top 10, possibly higher with another few moves

1) Moncada

2) Giolito

3) Kopech

4) Lopez

5) Collins

6) Fulmer

7) Burdi

8) Dunning

9) Adams

10) Basabe

11) Tilson

12) Engel

13) Hansen

14) Michaelczewski

15) Fisher

That is a dramatically improved system

The Nats absolutely lost this trade. They severely overvalued Eaton. Rick pantsed them.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
Totally unrelated note:

If Frazier isn't bringing back a lot of interest because of his 1 year left, I'd be fine trying to work out a small extension for Frazier. I think it's important to have SOME sort of leadership in the clubhouse, especially when there are a ton of young guys around, and Frazier seems like he fits that bill.

Again, that's only if he is down for playing "dad" and Hahn can't get good value.

I could get on board with that. He's not as big of a problem as Sale, Eaton were. As moves are made, I become a little more open to whatever, just because the direction is all the more clear.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Bob Nightengale@BNightengale 5:25 PM

Several scouts and executives say they actually thought the #WhiteSox did better in the Adam Eaton trade than the Chris Sale trade.

The problem with Sale was its just really hard to ever get the right return for someone in their prime who is not overpaid. They could have tried to hold out to see if one day someone came with a crazy offer, but I think that they looked at all the offers and realized that it just wasnt super likely that deal was going to get offered anytime soon. It would require a bidding war between 2 teams that were in competition (NY/BOS) with part of the value being that it kept it from a competitor. I just dont think the Nats really cared if Boston got him.

I think the Nats probably had remorse for not doing the deal, and were on tilt, which is why they overpaid for Eaton, because they didnt want to be runner up again.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
Totally unrelated note:

If Frazier isn't bringing back a lot of interest because of his 1 year left, I'd be fine trying to work out a small extension for Frazier. I think it's important to have SOME sort of leadership in the clubhouse, especially when there are a ton of young guys around, and Frazier seems like he fits that bill.

Again, that's only if he is down for playing "dad" and Hahn can't get good value.

Abreu also fits that bill and probably is too undervalued where it doesn't make sense to move him. I do think Frazier probably ends up netting us enough, but I think it is more likely that with Abreu / Robertson / Frazier, that we wait till the deadline. Melky isn't going to get us a ton either, but I"d think we'd move him now, although he isn't a bad vet to have around either.

The interesting names for me are Q / Jones (now)...although we clearly aren't going to be afraid to move the other guys, but have ability to be more patient, imo (not that we have to act on Q / Jones now...but I think the Sox want to do a lot more sooner vs. later to get the rebuild process fast tracked). Especially since this is such a historically bad FA class.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Bob Nightengale@BNightengale 5:25 PM

Several scouts and executives say they actually thought the #WhiteSox did better in the Adam Eaton trade than the Chris Sale trade.

The potential surplus we got out of Eaton is probably just as high.

Totally unrelated note:

This. Part of the rebuild will absolutely be bringing in established, good clubhouse guys to provide leadership.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
What did the half billion that they do, do? What exactly did the Sox do, other then consistently suck the past few years? Yes the Cubs spent some money, but they also whiffed on quite a bit of that money. What exactly was your proposition...continue to half ass it? This deal was a trade of one player (who was very good, but probably someone who was overrated by advanced stats), for three guys who all have potential to be above average major leaguers...the exact time of quantity deal you had been looking for (albeit this focused on pitching talent...but you can't ignore value where value is...especially when a rebuild takes time). Lots of other parts to still dangle and continue to add significant talent / depth to the entire organization.

The problem is that the Sox haven't really sucked. Since 2013, they've hovered in the 70-something win column. That's worse than sucking, because you don't get any Top 5 draft picks and the Sox never garner enough fan interest to justify spending big on free agents. So it's difficult to take those big steps forward.

So I'm going to be happy when the Sox win 62 games next season because they'll be drafting an impact player the following spring who will be able to help this team win in 2020.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
Why so glum, chum? The offseason isn't over yet. Heck, the winter meetings aren't over yet. It's quite possible, if not probable, that Hahn will convert Q into a similar haul but only of a positional player nature. Then we will have replenished both our pitching and our hitting deficits. Isn't that enough to turn your frown upside down?

You've won me over. This really is the dumbest organization in baseball. Only the White Sox could lack position players, and then trade their best chips for pitching. We need to fire everyone up top and start over.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
The potential surplus we got out of Eaton is probably just as high.

Much higher, unless Moncada becomes Trout 2.0 and Kopech becomes Syndergaard 2.0. The Sox may have gotten 2 TOR starters for Eaton, and Dunning is a very nice lottery ticket.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
You've won me over. This really is the dumbest organization in baseball. Only the White Sox could lack position players, and then trade their best chips for pitching. We need to fire everyone up top and start over.

Are you trolling? Are you aware of the fact that there are more trades to be made?

Totally unrelated note:

Frazier is a good clubhouse guy and fans also like him. As long as they don't overpay for him, I don't mind him being part of the rebuilding process.

The question now is if Frazier wants to re-sign with a team that won't be competitive until he's in his mid-30s.