2017 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Tatis is super exciting and likely to be a consensus top 30 prospect next year. But he also has struck out 30% of the time in low A ball and is hitting just .276. I will wait to crown him a future preferential all star until I see him show this kind of power and plate discipline against more polished pitching. But no doubt Hahn chose the wrong guy.

It's definitely a disappointing trade and it normally would be completely demoralizing, but it's a little easier to stomach now that we've added so many elite prospects. All of those good trades (on paper at least) and one bad trade is acceptable.

It seems to me like Luis Curbelo could be a similar player to Tatis Jr. A SS with power potential who will probably have to be moved off the position eventually. Hopefully he's half as productive as Tatis Jr., but it's looking like a lost year for him.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Tatis is super exciting and likely to be a consensus top 30 prospect next year. But he also has struck out 30% of the time in low A ball and is hitting just .276. I will wait to crown him a future preferential all star until I see him show this kind of power and plate discipline against more polished pitching. But no doubt Hahn chose the wrong guy.

Are you serious? Finding warts on his game? Hitting just .276? Striking out too much? As an 18 yr old. In A ball. He should be a high school senior for crying out loud. Even with the influx of talent in the farm, right now if the Sox still had Tatis, he would be the best player on Kanny, as an 18 year old. Ce la vie.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Are you serious? Finding warts on his game? Hitting just .276? Striking out too much? As an 18 yr old. In A ball. He should be a high school senior for crying out loud. Even with the influx of talent in the farm, right now if the Sox still had Tatis, he would be the best player on Kanny, as an 18 year old. Ce la vie.

Yeah pretty much. It sucks, but nothing you can do. Hope that James Shields was so bad this year that they end up with the #1 or #2 pick instead of the #3 pick and the difference between 2 and 3 is monumental.

Feels like we've seen a ton of second generation players who have turned into absolute monsters in recent years.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)

Lol..I have him plenty of credit in my post. What he has done is very impressive. Just not quite ready to crown him the next Manny Machado quite yet. Is that ok with you?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Hahn is lucky he didn't get fired after last season

In Keith Law's most recent chat, he said that if Tatis ever actually played for the White Sox, they likely wouldn't have ever traded him. He never even played on the Sox DSL team.

You could make the argument for Kopech, but other than that I'd rather have Tatis Jr. than the lot (aside from Eloy, obviously). We'd kill for Robert to be doing what Tatis Jr. is right now, and Tatis Jr. is a full year younger.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)
You could make the argument for Kopech, but other than that I'd rather have Tatis Jr. than the lot (aside from Eloy, obviously). We'd kill for Robert to be doing what Tatis Jr. is right now, and Tatis Jr. is a full year younger.

According to MLB Pipeline, there are five players above him.

All from Greg Goldstein

1. Greg Goldstein‏ @greg_goldstein1 https://twitter.com/greg_goldstein1/status/...792122366316544 Kannapolis RHP Luis Martinez is 90-92 (t94), FB has cut to it, plays more to weak contact, SL lacks bite, gets hit in zone, control>command

Gavin Sheets has a lot of strength behind his swing. Just stroked one pull side. Ball got out quickly, still swing-miss to game. #WhiteSox

Micker Adolfo is real intriguing. Big body with lots of raw pop. Swing needs work, but I'm liking the potential, power is easy. #WhiteSox

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 3, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
Fernando Tatis Jr went 4/5 last night. He's in AA as an 18 year old, in case you forgot.

A year from now, seems likely he's a top 3 prospect in baseball. What a monster and there are now reports he has a solid chance of sticking at SS

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 3, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
He might be a top 10 overall prospect right now.

They found the guy they've been waiting decades to get in Intl FA and immediately traded him for James Shields. Honestly, its got a solid chance of going down as a worse trade than the Shelby Miller deal.

But it involves the White Sox and Padres, so nobody will ever talk about it nationally.

I hope it's something we can chuckle at five years from now after a parade or something.