Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Rizzo told us that they have NOT had trade conversations for a closer in “quite sometime”. They think answer is in camp.@SiriusXMFantasy

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/833695541699760132

There were tons of Robertson to the Nats rumors about a week ago, so not sure what that is all about

The Nationals can roll with Kelley, who is a quality reliever, as closer. There is significant risk for a team with World Series aspirations having such an unproven bullpen outside of Kelley and Trienen though

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Mike Rizzo told us the Nats closer will come from Shawn Kelley, Blake Treinin or Koda Glover #Nationals

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/833696679266222081

That pen is definitely not strong enough to win in the playoffs, or regular season for that matter

Washington is a very top heavy team, quality starters and regular position players, but questionable bullpen and bench

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
That pen is definitely not strong enough to win in the playoffs, or regular season for that matter

Washington is a very top heavy team, quality starters and regular position players, but questionable bullpen and bench

Bullpen additions can be made midseason though, as evidenced by the Cubs and Indians last year. I think they are perfectly reasonable going to into the year with what they have. Ideally, Robertson kills it in the first half and increases his value.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Bullpen additions can be made midseason though, as evidenced by the Cubs and Indians last year. I think they are perfectly reasonable going to into the year with what they have. Ideally, Robertson kills it in the first half and increases his value.

That pen needs more than one quality addition before it is ready for a playoff run

Sure, the Nats can rely on in season trades to bring in talent, but those almost always end up being expensive. Their farm system is not what it was prior to the Eaton trade either.

Robles, Fedde and Soto top it, but not a ton beyond them that can land a quality reliever midseason

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Rizzo told us that they have NOT had trade conversations for a closer in "quite sometime". They think answer is in camp.@SiriusXMFantasy

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/833695541699760132

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Mike Rizzo told us the Nats closer will come from Shawn Kelley, Blake Treinin or Koda Glover #Nationals

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/833696679266222081

Which is exactly what a GM has to say. I know people get pissy about Kenny Williams saying stuff like this, but this is just generic GM speak. You have to pretend that the team you have is the team you want, even if you are actively shopping behind closed doors for improvements.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
That pen needs more than one quality addition before it is ready for a playoff run

Sure, the Nats can rely on in season trades to bring in talent, but those almost always end up being expensive. Their farm system is not what it was prior to the Eaton trade either.

Robles, Fedde and Soto top it, but not a ton beyond them that can land a quality reliever midseason

Kelley, Treinen, Solis, Glover, and Perez are all solid, and they have a few upside arms too. I think the Nationals bullpen is good enough to start the season. If their bullpen completely fails, then they were doomed anyways.

Rizzo does not want to get too far behind division leaders right out of the gate.

Rizzo could be bluffing as well.

Perhaps if Hahn offered Robertson plus Nate Jones, that would let Rizzo sleep better at night knowing he has two more relievers in case the pitchers he has under perform. And if that is what Hahn offers, Robles has to be the headliner in the return package.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
When asked this question, in Spring Training, did anyone expect Rizzo to say "Man, these guys in camp here suck. Hope someone is out there that can help us."

I still think we will all be underwhelmed with what Robertson brings back, but it still should be a decent piece. If that means the Sox acquire it in June rather than February, not the end of the world.

Robertson is probably the least risky "wait until July" trade candidate the Sox have. It's not like he's coming off a career year, his performance this year should regress positively for him, and help his value. He could of course get hurt, but as a reliever that risk is minimal, at least as much as it can be for a MLB pitcher.

And, with the 2nd WC, 2/3 of baseball is going to see themselves as a playoff contender in July, there will be plenty of clubs looking for bullpen help for the stretch run.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
When asked this question, in Spring Training, did anyone expect Rizzo to say "Man, these guys in camp here suck. Hope someone is out there that can help us."

I still think we will all be underwhelmed with what Robertson brings back, but it still should be a decent piece. If that means the Sox acquire it in June rather than February, not the end of the world.

Exactly.

Nationals rumored to be signing Matt Weiters. I don't keep up a ton with the Nationals backstop situation -- but let's say it's a 3-4 year deal does that open the opportunity to go after Severino? I think that's the name of that minor league catcher were talking about on here.

Maybe it's a precursor move? I'd guess only if it was 3-4 year deal though. If it's a 1 year deal probably doesn't mean anything.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
Nationals rumored to be signing Matt Weiters. I don't keep up a ton with the Nationals backstop situation -- but let's say it's a 3-4 year deal does that open the opportunity to go after Severino? I think that's the name of that minor league catcher were talking about on here.

Maybe it's a precursor move? I'd guess only if it was 3-4 year deal though. If it's a 1 year deal probably doesn't mean anything.

Looks like possibly 2 yr deal with a option

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)

While I think it's possible, I don't think the hangup on the deal is Severino. I think the Nationals end up moving Norris and just using Lobaton as a backup.