Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
What was Hostetler asked about Beer?

Basically what do you think about drafting him, there's only so much hostetler can say but first jokingly asked who Beer was. The mentioned the 14 yo thing, that they were excited about draft and that they'd do what ever they can so if Beer is on board they'd have thoroughly scouted.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
It's a nice thought that the 75th pick is eligible to be moved, but that seems too low to get excited about being part of a trade with Houston for Q.

To me, it's not so much about us acquiring those picks in a trade, but it's about those 2 added picks for Houston allowing us to say "See, you just added 2 top 100 picks that can help replenish your system anyway" and them feeling like they can replenish their farm sooner after a big trade.

Things just might be heating up with the Astros. Phil Rogers says we have revisited traded talks with Houston. The Astros were just awarded two additional draft picks for the next draft. And finally, Bob Nightengale with the obvious Sox office front leak stating talks with divisional rival Texas are getting more serious. I'll continue to shout this, but a move prior to season start makes too much sense for both clubs. The AL West is going to be competitive and I'm not sure Houston can afford to wait to fill what appears to be a pretty big need. Meanwhile, moving Quintana before opening day greatly improves our tank efforts. I'm not sure what the holdup is here, but I'm getting more confident these teams will find a happy medium before opening day with Martes, Tucker, ++ coming back to the southside for Quintana.

QUOTE (Username @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
1) He's hearing a lot of mixed messages - one of the teams in the bidding thinks it won't happen until the trade deadline.

2) He doesn't buy that because he thinks waiting would greatly affect the Sox ability to tank this year.

3) He's heard that talks with the Astros have picked back up.

He clearly didn't know of anything imminent - but in conjunction with the Nightengale leak it seems like the Sox are making a push to get something done before Spring Training.

Edit: sorry for the double post you beat me to it!

So he thinks everything at once and provided no value. Great.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 06:48 AM)
Things just might be heating up with the Astros. Phil Rogers says we have revisited traded talks with Houston. The Astros were just awarded two additional draft picks for the next draft. And finally, Bob Nightengale with the obvious Sox office front leak stating talks with divisional rival Texas are getting more serious. I'll continue to shout this, but a move prior to season start makes too much sense for both clubs. The AL West is going to be competitive and I'm not sure Houston can afford to wait to fill what appears to be a pretty big need. Meanwhile, moving Quintana before opening day greatly improves our tank efforts. I'm not sure what the holdup is here, but I'm getting more confident these teams will find a happy medium before opening day with Martes, Tucker, ++ coming back to the southside for Quintana.

I think something is going to happen too. If you follow the Pirates blogger Rum Bunter, he's been saying for a while he KNOWS the Sox want to move Quintana before the season. Bruce Levine has hinted this as well. This all makes sense and comes together.

They can't come out and say it, but they clearly want to tank for Beer or one of the high school phenoms scheduled for the 2018 draft, and having Quintana on the team doesn't help that cause.

And they should prioritize the future draft pick with everything they do. In other words, don't hold out on 3 deals for that little bit extra, when it can cost you a lotta bit extra come the 2018 draft if we end up picking 6th instead of 1st or 2nd.

There's no other ways to get guys like this, unless you get lucky with a slightly later pick. Prospects the caliber of Seth Beer or Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber just don't get traded. The Sox are probably learning that a bit as they have been rebuffed in trying to get guys like Meadows, Bregman or Torres this winter.

So to conclude, I think Quintana does get moved and probably for what many of us will consider a slightly disappointing return. It feels like the Sox backed themselves in to a corner here and all of MLB knows it.

Where and when did he say this?

I thought the same thing. Weird how they were awarded two extra prospects and suddenly back in on Q haha

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
They can't come out and say it, but they clearly want to tank for Beer or one of the high school phenoms scheduled for the 2018 draft, and having Quintana on the team doesn't help that cause.

Clemson.

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)
I think something is going to happen too. If you follow the Pirates blogger Rum Bunter, he's been saying for a while he KNOWS the Sox want to move Quintana before the season. Bruce Levine has hinted this as well. This all makes sense and comes together.

And they should prioritize the future draft pick with everything they do. In other words, don't hold out on 3 deals for that little bit extra, when it can cost you a lotta bit extra come the 2018 draft if we end up picking 6th instead of 1st or 2nd.

There's no other ways to get guys like this, unless you get lucky with a slightly later pick. Prospects the caliber of Seth Beer or Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber just don't get traded. The Sox are probably learning that a bit as they have been rebuffed in trying to get guys like Meadows, Bregman or Torres this winter.

So to conclude, I think Quintana does get moved and probably for what many of us will consider a slightly disappointing return. It feels like the Sox backed themselves in to a corner here and all of MLB knows it.

I agree with this. I don't think Hahn will necessarily settle, but I do think he'll take something near the bottom end of his acceptable range that some posters here may find dissapointing. Personally, I'd be ecstatic with a four player package from Houston that was headlined by Martes & Tucker. Given the depth of their system a newly available comp pick, the 3rd & 4th pieces could be incredibly valuable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
I agree with this. I don't think Hahn will necessarily settle, but I do think he'll take something near the bottom end of his acceptable range that some posters here may find dissapointing. Personally, I'd be ecstatic with a four player package from Houston that was headlined by Martes & Tucker. Given the depth of their system a newly available comp pick, the 3rd & 4th pieces could be incredibly valuable.

I feel like Martes/Tucker/Laureano/Pick is a fair deal. I think Hahn could get more if he waited but I understand why he wouldn't want to.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
I feel like Martes/Tucker/Laureano/Pick is a fair deal. I think Hahn could get more if he waited but I understand why he wouldn't want to.

I was going to propose that exact package or one with Reed instead of Laureano.

Regardless, I think either package would be very solid from an overall talent perspective, falling somewhere between the Sale & Eaton returns. Sure, Tucker may not be the positional headliner we were dreaming of, but I honestly think there's a good chance he's a top 20 prospect by mid-season. Laureano seems to be criminally underrated and Reed would be a great buy-low candidate. And while that pick is effectively a low end #2 pick, Hostetler was able to land Hansen, Call, & Fisher after the first round in last year's draft. And I haven't even mentioned Martes who gives us another starting pitching prospect with TOR potential. There's a lot to like here, although I can see why some posters would be disappointed, especially if they don't believe Tucker's power will ever develop or if they think Martes is ultimately a reliever.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
Martes/Tucker/Reed/Stubbs is what I would do.

I'm on a similar page

Martes/Tucker/Reed/Stubbs/Laureano and we close the book on it and ship Jennings with Q as Tony Sipp is the only LHP in their BP right now ,he of the near -1WAR last year.

Tucker/Laureano/Basabe/Call/Fisher make for exciting outfield prospects to follow. Additionally maybe one of Tilson/Liriano/W. Garcia show something at the major league level.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
To who?! For what?! Maybe you're a prophet!

I dont know unfortunately. I think it was Washington. I remember looking at my twitter feed and seeing their symbol but I was desperately trying to look and see who it was for but I had to finish something before I could.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
I dont know unfortunately. I think it was Washington. I remember looking at my twitter feed and seeing their symbol but I was desperately trying to look and see who it was for but I had to finish something before I could.

This is making me anxious just reading about it. What a nightmare.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)

You continue to be a huge disappointment to all of us.