Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
I think alot of people would be more interested if alot of the kids were up and playing. Still way too many veterans in this roster.

I for one will be following the minors exclusively this season. Gonna take me back to a young Ace 7-10+ years ago with my FutureSox days or even further than that as a kid going to Barons games. Might have to give my uncle a ring about staying over this summer. :lol:

You may see some make it out of ST. Hopefully the coaching staff makes good decisions but if Moncada has a solid spring he could go north.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
You may see some make it out of ST. Hopefully the coaching staff makes good decisions but if Moncada has a solid spring he could go north.

Moncada has no chance of going north out of camp and Rick Hahn has made this perfectly clear. They will not be giving up a year of control on any of their key young players that aren't already on the major league roster (i.e. Rodon & Anderson).

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
I am bizarrely locked in. Never had a year like this, the novelty of following development + a great farm system.

I'm interested to see how the guys we acquired progress. Also to see if we can find some surprises from scrap heap or AAA or major leaguers who didn't get full time action (Saladino, etc.).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
Moncada has no chance of going north out of camp and Rick Hahn has made this perfectly clear. They will not be giving up a year of control on any of their key young players that aren't already on the major league roster (i.e. Rodon & Anderson).

I agree. Make Moncada earn the call up from AAA. His performance in AA deserved a promotion to AAA but not to the majors quite yet.

I haven't been this excited for a Sox season since 2011, maybe even 2006. Yeah, I'm not expecting the team to do well at all, but I'm excited to see how Anderson and Rodin continue to develop at the ML level. And see what guys like Davidson and Tilson can do when they're healthy. I know it's going to be a lean year and at times unwatchable, but I can't wait.

I'm more excited about the team this year than I have been in the past. I've always looked forward to the season starting, but my anticipation has routinely been met with disappointment. The Sox are finally taking the steps toward rebuilding and creating a team for the future. I'm ready. Let's go.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
This is why most teams are hesitant to do rebuilds. If fans that follows message boards have lost interest, what do you suppose the average fan is thinking?

Who cares though? Those people will come back when the team is competitive again. I have no time for people that enjoy their couch time and treat each game as a separate entity. Need to see the big picture here. Not you, just in general.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)

I think there is a 0% chance that Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, or Burdi start with the White Sox. They need development time, but more importantly the White Sox need the extra year of control which will happen in late May.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
I think there is a 0% chance that Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, or Burdi start with the White Sox. They need development time, but more importantly the White Sox need the extra year of control which will happen in late May.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason for any of them to break camp with the big league team and I will be furious if it happens.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)

Agree the year of control is probably the key factor. Ironically if he was still in Boston, he had a great shot to make made the ML roster. I would assume Hahn will "assign" someone to work with him if he goes to AAA.

Chicago White Sox40 mins · “We don’t view it as everyone in that locker room needs to be moved to serve the next championship White Sox club. A lot of those players are hopefully going to play key roles on that next club." - Rick Hahn, who spoke with the media yesterday during Day 1 of #SoxSpringTraining.

I think it'll be fun to watch games this year... if they lose, cool! If someone like Davidson blows chunks - oh well... if he does great, cool! Rooting for players who are trade candidates will be a thing and following all the affiliates will be intense. Following the international signing period, the draft, other teams top prospects performances, monitoring trade partners standings... it'll be a much different type of fandom but it'll be lit.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
I think it'll be fun to watch games this year... if they lose, cool! If someone like Davidson blows chunks - oh well... if he does great, cool! Rooting for players who are trade candidates will be a thing and following all the affiliates will be intense. Following the international signing period, the draft, other teams top prospects performances, monitoring trade partners standings... it'll be a much different type of fandom but it'll be lit.

This absolutely describes my attitude about the right way to root for the Sox this year.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
This absolutely describes my attitude about the right way to root for the Sox this year.

It's the only way to go about it really. Going to games on beautiful days will still be a good time with friends and family. And cheap lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
This is why most teams are hesitant to do rebuilds. If fans that follows message boards have lost interest, what do you suppose the average fan is thinking?

The average fan just won't pay attention at all. Some will hop on the Cubs bandwagon which has to be awfully easy to do if you are not a diehard like us.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 10:26 PM)
I am in the same boat. I have never been less interested in a White Sox club.

Me too. The funny thing is if we had a catcher, one top notch outfielder and a decent DH and were able to splice together a good bullpen leading up to Robertson, we might be a contender. I feel like we could have acquired those pieces possibly.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
For those not at all interested in the Sox right now, what exactly was interesting about the same 78 win team year in and year out that the Sox have had the past few years?

The idea that we were a possible contender. The analysts usually had us projected to be in the race.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)

Some people love rebuilds. Like you said the pressure is off as the team loses game after game. It must be like being a 76er fan.

Speaking only for myself, I am not a fair weather fan. I am excited to watch White Sox baseball every year, just as long as they try to win every game they play.

Can't wait to watch Spring Training games and then to go to the Sox Opener.

Let's go go go White Sox

We're with you all the way

You're always in there fighting and you do your best

We're glad to have you out here in the middle west

We're gonna root root root root White Sox

And cheer you on to victory

When we're in the stands we'll make those rafters ring

All through the season you'll hear us sing

Let's go go go White Sox

Chicago's proud of you

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

f*** yeah hi8is, you nailed it! :headbang

I was a Sox fan long before and after the infamous white flag trade. If I can survive that, this will be a cake walk. :gosox1: