Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
For one, he is not mediocre, but he has been this year.

#2, his ERA is mid-4. Yes. Not great.

Lastly, yes, "1.3!" That's 42nd in baseball. Not outstanding.

Jesus, it's like I'm supposed to assume every Sock can net every team's 3 best prospects.

Little nitpick, but his ERA is 4.49. You're looking at his FIP.

Anyways, I was being obtuse because I think the information you presented is pretty misleading. Pint has loads of upside, but has struggled badly this season. Much worse struggles than Q, even. Castellini is certainly an intriguing player, comparable maybe to Dunning or Hansen. That's a weak headliner (guys like Pint flame out all the time) and a solid second piece. Murphy is not really worth mentioning. He's like Davidson if he was a bad catcher instead of a bad 3B. Meanwhile, Q has had a down season, but still the #20 pitcher in baseball by fWAR. Nothing is really concerning about his performance except an uptick in walks. He's been basically the same pitcher. He has more value than you think.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
Little nitpick, but his ERA is 4.49. You're looking at his FIP.

Anyways, I was being obtuse because I think the information you presented is pretty misleading. Pint has loads of upside, but has struggled badly this season. Much worse struggles than Q, even. Castellini is certainly an intriguing player, comparable maybe to Dunning or Hansen. That's a weak headliner (guys like Pint flame out all the time) and a solid second piece. Murphy is not really worth mentioning. He's like Davidson if he was a bad catcher instead of a bad 3B. Meanwhile, Q has had a down season, but still the #20 pitcher in baseball by fWAR. Nothing is really concerning about his performance except an uptick in walks. He's been basically the same pitcher. He has more value than you think.

And again I'm not trying to argue. I hope you're right. I just believe we all may be let down by the return

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
And again I'm not trying to argue. I hope you're right. I just believe we all may be let down by the return

Maybe but I'm not expecting that big of a let down. That would be awful by most standards.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
It's their 2nd, 3rd and 6th best prospects for a SP who's ERA is 4 and WHIP is 1.3.

Pint is getting touched up a bit in A ball and walks a lot of guys. Murphy is a 26 year old catcher and the other guy sports a high 4 ERA in AA.

No thanks.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
And a thin staff as it is.

Come to Papa Hahn, Rizzo...he'll make it all better.

I think if Rizzo had his way this would already be a done deal

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
Pint is getting touched up a bit in A ball and walks a lot of guys.

He's 19 freaking years old and has immense upside. I'd absolutely love him in a Q deal. As the headliner, no, but guys with his stuff don't grow on trees. Would love to see what the sox staff can do with him. Maybe they'll see a mechanical flaw.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
The Nationals. That's basically their whole system.

They will regain it when they trade Harper next July to the Yankees for Frazier, Rutherford, Torres, Sanchez, Severino and Mateo \green

Edited by soxfan49

Robert Murray‏Verified account @RobertMurrayFRS 7m7 minutes ago

More

Regarding Brewers interest in Quintana/Gray, two rival execs think price to get either would be Lewis Brinson, Josh Hader, Brett Phillips.

Replace Hader with Ortiz and add a 4th piece and I do that deal. Doubt Brewers would though

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

More

Regarding Brewers interest in Quintana/Gray, two rival execs think price to get either would be Lewis Brinson, Josh Hader, Brett Phillips.

Replace Hader with Ortiz and add a 4th piece and I do that deal. Doubt Brewers would though

I enjoy this time of year for all the speculation - can't wait for it to pick up

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)

More

Not very impressed with Hader or Ortiz but Trent Clark fits the mold of what the Sox are looking for in hitters. I know Milwaukee wouldn't trade three outfielders (Brinson/Phillips/Clark) in the same trade but one can dream right?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
Not very impressed with Hader or Ortiz but Trent Clark fits the mold of what the Sox are looking for in hitters. I know Milwaukee wouldn't trade three outfielders (Brinson/Phillips/Clark) in the same trade but one can dream right?

Clark has shown the last two years his hit tool is mediocre

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
Clark has shown the last two years his hit tool is mediocre

True but at 20 years old and already has the ability to draw a ton of walks, I really like his upside. The power numbers are decent but the batting eye is there. Then again, so are the K's.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
Quintana and Robertson for Robles, Soto, Kieboom, and Fedde. Who says no?

Add Swarzak and it would be incredibly hard for them to say no.

Robles and Soto is like a slightly less Moncada and Kopech. Kieboom and Fedde wouldn't fill out just a Q package but Robertson and Swarzak would necessitate it. You give them the best shot at making the World Series.

Man if Eaton didn't get hurt that would make them terrifying.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)

Robles and Soto is like a slightly less Moncada and Kopech. Kieboom and Fedde wouldn't fill out just a Q package but Robertson and Swarzak would necessitate it. You give them the best shot at making the World Series.

The Nats simply aren't trading their top 4 prospects in one swoop...they just aren't.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)

The Nats don't need Quintana right now. He would be their 4th starter. Which is unnecessary since they are coasting with an easy divisional lead. The 4th starter might get 1 or 2 starts during a post-season run. On top of that, they aren't adding 20-25 mil to their payroll. Their owner has already vetoed what allegedly was half of Robertson's salary back before spring training.

Maybe the Sox should concentrate on trying to get Soto for Robertson and Swarzak, and shop Quintana elsewhere?

I kind of wonder if some of the Brewers noise is a leak to put pressure on the Cubs to overpay for one of the starters on the market. It helps the Brewers because it weakens the Cubs depth when the Brewers window is open and helps the Sox/A's pull in a larger return.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
I kind of wonder if some of the Brewers noise is a leak to put pressure on the Cubs to overpay for one of the starters on the market. It helps the Brewers because it weakens the Cubs depth when the Brewers window is open and helps the Sox/A's pull in a larger return.

Yeah that's a good point. I do think Brewers will supplement to some degree but I'd just be surprised if they spent big at this point.