Trade avi in the offseason?

ron883

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)

I absolutely would explore Avi's trade market in the offseason, but would not be surprised if we decided to keep him. Sox won't unload him if the return isn't quality.

2018 should be the next step in the rebuild, and we can expect to go through more growing pains as we push talent up through our farm system. Players like Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, Delmonico, etc. will be given the opportunity to prove themselves on the mlb roster. Kopech and Jimenez are knocking on the door, followed by Dunning and Hansen.

No chance of contending next year, but signs of improvement are likely. 2019 is when we start to really see this turn around ideally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)

I absolutely love his enthusiasm and the chip ( a good kind of chip )he carried on his shoulder this year. Certainly sounds like Avi has more to prove so I would expect to see that same chip next year. Definitely worth talking to Avi and his agent to see what they would look for in a contract extension.

And before anyone has a chance to point it out. Yes, I waver back and forth almost daily on what to do with Avi. :D

• 1 month later...

For as long as it sometimes takes young hitters to figure out big league pitching, it might be nice to have a guy in his prime who can hit .330 and loves being here. I mean in 2019-2020, are we really expecting all the young guys to be awesome. I'm guilty of thinking that quite often. Eloy might be a special case hopefully.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 4, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
For as long as it sometimes takes young hitters to figure out big league pitching, it might be nice to have a guy in his prime who can hit .330 and loves being here. I mean in 2019-2020, are we really expecting all the young guys to be awesome. I'm guilty of thinking that quite often. Eloy might be a special case hopefully.

No. I think if 60-70% of your top prospects make it and are solid players, that would be great.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
No reason to trade Avi this offseason unless you get completely blown away by something substantial (wont happen)

Plenty of reason to trade Avi this offseason if we get something that counts as "fair", certainly not requiring being blown away. 2 years away from free agency, price going up, if he's this good then he's going to be very expensive to keep and we may not want to pay that price, if he isn't this good then the best deals available for him will be this offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
Plenty of reason to trade Avi this offseason if we get something that counts as "fair", certainly not requiring being blown away. 2 years away from free agency, price going up, if he's this good then he's going to be very expensive to keep and we may not want to pay that price, if he isn't this good then the best deals available for him will be this offseason.

Avi will be a lot more expensive next year, especially, if he has another good year. Sign him now. Sox can easily afford him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)

Hard to affix his value (and thus determine "fair"): 1 good season (very good), but with a high BABIP; still not many homers, although that may come and more doubles certainly would increase in a different park. Doesn't play a position of scarcity. Fair just may not be very much, so there may be no point.

July candidate perhaps.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 05:26 PM)
You contradict yourself in the same post.

In my eyes, there is no reason to extend Avi right now. We have 1400 AB's that tell us one thing, and 500 that tell us another thing. I'd want about 400 more to give me a better idea of who Avi Garcia is.

If the Sox can "easily afford him" now, they should still be able to afford him in August of 2018 when he still has another year left of control and is hopefully sporting a .900 OPS.

He's probably a $15 million / year guy now and is price tag will likely go up to about $22 million / year if we wait until the next offseason to sign him. Why bet on him to fail? I've seen enough to be convinced he's a future HOFer and we need to lock him up now for the next 6-8 seasons.

Two ways of looking at Avi from a fans pov. 1) fan is sold on Avi's succeful '17 season, want to keep him and extend him. 2) fan is not really sold on Avi and will trade him this winter. I'm starting to lean towards taking a good old #2 on the subject of Avi. :wub:

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
He's probably a $15 million / year guy now and is price tag will likely go up to about $22 million / year if we wait until the next offseason to sign him. Why bet on him to fail? I've seen enough to be convinced he's a future HOFer and we need to lock him up now for the next 6-8 seasons.

Just so someone says this - we really ought to learn our lesson about projecting guys to be future HOFs because of one breakout season in their mid-20s. If Garcia did the same thing the next 7 years that he did in 2017, he's still probably pretty far from the HOF. In 2017 he was a borderline all star and being a borderline all star for 10 years doesn't put you in the HOF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Just so someone says this - we really ought to learn our lesson about projecting guys to be future HOFs because of one breakout season in their mid-20s. If Garcia did the same thing the next 7 years that he did in 2017, he's still probably pretty far from the HOF. In 2017 he was a borderline all star and being a borderline all star for 10 years doesn't put you in the HOF.

If a player hit .330 for 8 straight years, they would be a HOFer. But Avi won't do that, and I think the post you're replying to was a troll anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)

You should read some of his posts. He projects all of them in the hall of fame

That monetary value probably isn't far off though. I'd say, value wise, he's fairly comparable to Wil Myers, who just signed an extension that pays him $20 million per season after he passes his would be arbitration eligible seasons.

Myers could certainly improve off that, but let that contract be a warning to those advocating an Avisail extension.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
That monetary value probably isn't far off though. I'd say, value wise, he's fairly comparable to Wil Myers, who just signed an extension that pays him $20 million per season after he passes his would be arbitration eligible seasons.

Myers could certainly improve off that, but let that contract be a warning to those advocating an Avisail extension.

I'd actually argue that Myers is more valuable to a team than Avi. While he doesn't have the high BA, he a 20/20 player and has very good plate discipline. All of Avi's value lies in his bat. If he fails to hit, he offers very little value. That high BABIP stands out to me.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)

Remember when Gordon Beckham was "Jeter but better"?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
No.

Oh, man, tell me I'm not the only one that remembers that post. I think it was in the thread where SI or ESPN or someone posted their all-next-decade team in 2009. We were all projecting what we thought peak Beckham was going to look like, and someone posted in non-green font that he/she thought "like Jeter but better."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
Oh, man, tell me I'm not the only one that remembers that post. I think it was in the thread where SI or ESPN or someone posted their all-next-decade team in 2009. We were all projecting what we thought peak Beckham was going to look like, and someone posted in non-green font that he/she thought "like Jeter but better."

There were a LOT of Jeter comparisons, not only around here but even nationally.

I remember one of Gordon's first series was against NY, and they even interviewed Jeter about Beckham.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)

Sigh. He was so awesome that first july / august he came up. Seemed like everything was to the gap.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
There were a LOT of Jeter comparisons, not only around here but even nationally.

I remember one of Gordon's first series was against NY, and they even interviewed Jeter about Beckham.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
Sigh. He was so awesome that first july / august he came up. Seemed like everything was to the gap.

Those were such innocent times, weren't they? T_T