ALCS: Yankees vs. Astros

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm with you, I hated the trade and this postseason did not change that. It did not take much to see than Kahnle's turnaround wasn't a fluke. Robertson may not have been valuable on a rebuilding team, but definitely earns his salary and more on a playoff team.

Should the Sox have hung onto Kahnle ? Held out for more ? If Kahnle doesnt pitch well next year, which is wont to happen with BP pieces, then Sox get 2nd guessed. Perhaps you think Frazier and Robertson alone could've got Rutherford ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
Not trying to start a fight and I'll stifle if I'm wrong but Sox fans undervalued Robertson as they tend to do their own IMO at least.

What happened was Rutherford was really overvalued. But he's young. Right now, he looks like a poor man's Ryan Sweeney to me. If the Yankees make it to the WS, Cashman deserves Exec of the year for this trade. Without it, I don't think they have a chance. The Sox got salary relief this year and next which could be huge when they need to add players, so that can't be discounted. But by pure talent, it was a one sided trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

What do people think would have been an acceptable deal with the Yanks? Subtract Kahnle and Rutherford from the deal and its close? Replace Rutherford with a lower prospect than even Polo and Clarkin? Then we make Kahnle the closer post-trade and beginning of next season to flip at deadline?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
What do people think would have been an acceptable deal with the Yanks? Subtract Kahnle and Rutherford from the deal and its close? Replace Rutherford with a lower prospect than even Polo and Clarkin? Then we make Kahnle the closer post-trade and beginning of next season to flip at deadline?

I actually still think I feel more negative to the trade than I actually am.

But what killed me about that deal was the fake one that was "reported" just before the real announcement that had Mateo, Florial and Adujar going back to Sox. I was at the game and got duped by it and nearly spit out my beer I was so happy. It was an infusion of super athletic position players.

SO when it came back Rutherford, Clarkin and Polo, especially with Clippard basically just being a dump for cash, it was super disappointing. The road to development is long and winding, but I really want some production out of this group, from that trade.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
I actually still think I feel more negative to the trade than I actually am.

But what killed me about that deal was the fake one that was "reported" just before the real announcement that had Mateo, Florial and Adujar going back to Sox. I was at the game and got duped by it and nearly spit out my beer I was so happy. It was an infusion of super athletic position players.

SO when it came back Rutherford, Clarkin and Polo, especially with Clippard basically just being a dump for cash, it was super disappointing. The road to development is long and winding, but I really want some production out of this group, from that trade.

My post wasn't a take on if people thought it was negative or positive and I wasn't taking a position on it. Just a question I felt like tossing out since I have seen a lot of posts saying we didn't get enough (it does feel a little light but not really negative to the deal).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
My post wasn't a take on if people thought it was negative or positive and I wasn't taking a position on it. Just a question I felt like tossing out since I have seen a lot of posts saying we didn't get enough (it does feel a little light but not really negative to the deal).

I think in general I was fine with our approach of making sure we get a top prospect and not make it up in value, but with the Yankees deal it was just nervewrecking from the start as Rutherford by the time we made the trade had shown a noticeable lack of power.

But the yankees are also a team whose depth I would have been happy to raid and go after that 8-15 range instead of top 5/20-30 ranges.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)

Supposedly the Yankees had no interest until Tommy K was put on the table.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
Should the Sox have hung onto Kahnle ? Held out for more ? If Kahnle doesnt pitch well next year, which is wont to happen with BP pieces, then Sox get 2nd guessed. Perhaps you think Frazier and Robertson alone could've got Rutherford ?

Yes.

And I really dont care for Rutherford, even at the time of the trade.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 05:44 PM)
Hoping Yanks take the whole thing.

How could you????

The only acceptable reason for rooting for them to win it all would be if you had thrown down $100,000 on the Yanks to win the World Series back in March or April when their odds where 12:1.

$100,000 investment

$1,200,000 win

$1,100,000 profit

Where's the f***ing time machine?

I still like the Yankee deal and think Rutherford on paper is a fair return...but his 2nd half was definitely disappointing, so now we're counting on the White Sox's scouting and development. He's a legit talent but talent doesn't do everything and yeah, if the White Sox were wrong, people can look back and say his numbers at the time of the trade were warning signs. We'll see. Breakout next year and all complaints go away. Continue struggling and people will get an "I told you so".

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
How could you????

The only acceptable reason for rooting for them to win it all would be if you had thrown down $100,000 on the Yanks to win the World Series back in March or April when their odds where 12:1.

$100,000 investment

$1,200,000 win

$1,100,000 profit

Where's the f***ing time machine?

Lol I didn't but if you find that time machine let me borrow it when your done ;)

Verlander the true definition of big game pitcher....somehow managed to get that fastball back after looking dead in the water 2-3 years ago.

But who could the Astros start in Game 5? McCullers has such an iffy injury history and would be on short rest...Peacock? Tough call. Going the Nationals’ route of (over)protecting Strasburg definitely backfired.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 09:36 PM)
Verlander the true definition of big game pitcher....somehow managed to get that fastball back after looking dead in the water 2-3 years ago.

But who could the Astros start in Game 5? McCullers has such an iffy injury history and would be on short rest...Peacock? Tough call. Going the Nationals’ route of (over)protecting Strasburg definitely backfired.

The papers are saying Morton. I dunno.

This is the no matter what happened on Thursday "They should have traded for Q" moment.