White Sox unlikely to chase big free agents

southsider2k5

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
Fine with me. Now sign Gomez, Reed, Swarzak, and McGee and I'm good.

4 relievers? I'll buy that if we get a starter somewhere (I still expect rule 5). With Rodon likely on the shelf to start the season we need at least 1 more who can start. Even if guys are called up, there's innings for a guy who can start.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
4 relievers? I'll buy that if we get a starter somewhere (I still expect rule 5). With Rodon likely on the shelf to start the season we need at least 1 more who can start. Even if guys are called up, there's innings for a guy who can start.

3 relievers and 1 CF/Util OF. Would be nice to have another vet for a couple years in the outfield as the young guys are working their way through the system and one that is also capable of playing CF.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
3 relievers and 1 CF/Util OF. Would be nice to have another vet for a couple years in the outfield as the young guys are working their way through the system and one that is also capable of playing CF.

Oh, I thought you meant Addy with the Reed and assumed he was a FA.

Anywho, I don't want a utility outfielder. Throw Engel and Leury out in CF and see if one of them can hold the job, and Tilson's shattered body, Polo, May, and Willy Garcia give enough depth there that I don't see why we need the extra warm body, at least for 2018.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
Oh, I thought you meant Addy with the Reed and assumed he was a FA.

Anywho, I don't want a utility outfielder. Throw Engel and Leury out in CF and see if one of them can hold the job, and Tilson's shattered body, Polo, May, and Willy Garcia give enough depth there that I don't see why we need the extra warm body, at least for 2018.

Yea I'd give Gomez two years to bridge to Lubo. Hoping the white sox are competitive in 2019. I've seen enough of Engel, don't trust Tilson, and Gomez can platoon with Leury and the other OF in the meantime.

Yep, no shocker. This off-season is about adding any possible reclamation type projects on 1 year deals with the hope of trading them in July. Everything else is about developing/playing the younger talent next year, promoting talent from within, etc.

If the team develops enough, then next off-season could be the first year they start to dip into free agency for any holes, but I don't know if they will be looking for any upper echelon free agents still.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Cheap ass JR

Only great post in this thread IMO. Sox fans on this board overwhelmingly want the owners to spend no money, get rid of any player making a buck in pursuit of the rebuild. I can't wait to see who fans on this board someday deem worthy of a fat contract. Most of you soxtalk fans go to games. I can't believe your patience and willingness to give JR and the partners so much of your money for nothing in return (since 05). The Sox front office loves this board if they read it.

You know my desires: Spend, spend spend just as fans spend 15 for a burger and 11 for a brewski.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)
Cheap ass JR

Nice! You crack me up dude. :lol:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
Only great post in this thread IMO. Sox fans on this board overwhelmingly want the owners to spend no money, get rid of any player making a buck in pursuit of the rebuild. I can't wait to see who fans on this board someday deem worthy of a fat contract. Most of you soxtalk fans go to games. I can't believe your patience and willingness to give JR and the partners so much of your money for nothing in return (since 05). The Sox front office loves this board if they read it.

You know my desires: Spend, spend spend just as fans spend 15 for a burger and 11 for a brewski.

Yeah yeah, grumble grumble! Let's light the torches and storm Castle GRF and slay Count Reinsdorf with a speared Louisville Slugger! Grrr, grumble grumble. Who's with me? Grumble grumble.

This isn't the off-season to spend. Let young guys play this season and look at adding some talent next off-season.

The Sox will spend but not this offseason. It is expected by anyone who understands the rebuild that they will pursue some big FAs next offseason. But you know this and still want to complain about this rebuild you don't seem to get.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
The Sox will spend but not this offseason. It is expected by anyone who understands the rebuild that they will pursue some big FAs next offseason. But you know this and still want to complain about this rebuild you don't seem to get.

If this happens, I hope this decision is based on availability and not timing. I am sure the front office is looking at an organization depth chart and knows what positions are weak. If there is a FA that would fill an organizational weakness, it would be crazy to not sign them this offseason. Our obvious trade chips( Abreu and Avi) might also be a way to fill a void but it could also expose a new one. Getting a FA to fill a major weakness this offseason is still part of a rebuild. I don't see a negative getting a FA this year if there is a guy you really like and fills an organizational weakness. It also gives you a year to get him acclimated to the team and depending on the player may have a positive influence on the young players as they come up.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 07:02 AM)
If this happens, I hope this decision is based on availability and not timing. I am sure the front office is looking at an organization depth chart and knows what positions are weak. If there is a FA that would fill an organizational weakness, it would be crazy to not sign them this offseason. Our obvious trade chips( Abreu and Avi) might also be a way to fill a void but it could also expose a new one. Getting a FA to fill a major weakness this offseason is still part of a rebuild. I don't see a negative getting a FA this year if there is a guy you really like and fills an organizational weakness. It also gives you a year to get him acclimated to the team and depending on the player may have a positive influence on the young players as they come up.

While true, however, I don't think there are any big free agents out there that fit this category (except maybe JD Martinez). If Machado, for example, was a free agent this off-season, I would be on board with trying to sign him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 01:37 AM)

How do you STILL not get this? It's a matter of TIMING.

TIMING, greg. Not being cheap. Spending money at the RIGHT TIME. No one gives a flying f*** about how rich Jerry Reinsdorf is. No one ever has. No one ever will.

So the White Sox are not going to sign any free agents this off season. Instead they're going to wait until after the 2018 season to sign anybody good. If you can make the team better for the upcoming season, why not sign good players now?. Wouldn't the team be better off signing Moustakas, Reed and JD Martinez now? I realize there not going to sign any of these players and the team will "mired in mediocrity" for another season.

Now is not the time, but at some point, it will be time. Tearing it all down and building it up can work, but it also can fail. There are several teams in the process now. The Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Red Sox...there can't be 6 or 7 dynasties. What the White Sox have the others do not, is potentially a big economic advantage in their division. Now with Illich gone, Detroit is going to have lower payrolls. KC won't ever be too large. Minnesota will never have a payroll all that high. Cleveland will have issues, even when they are winning. The Cubs rebuild into a "dynasty" required a couple of fortunate trades and spending a lot of cash.

Next year and/or the year after, JR will open the wallet. The Sox will have a better idea where their prospects are at, and what they are going to be. Hopefully, many will reach their potential. It's just fact some of these rebuilds are going to spectacularly fail.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 01:37 AM)

Sox fans are not saying do not spend money period, they are saying this is not the right offseason to be doing so. The free agent class next year is the best in at least a decade and we should be saving our pennies for that.

If we were a player or two away from contending it would be a different story, but we will have plenty of salary coming off the books after 2018 and be primed to woo significant signings.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
So the White Sox are not going to sign any free agents this off season. Instead they're going to wait until after the 2018 season to sign anybody good. If you can make the team better for the upcoming season, why not sign good players now?. Wouldn't the team be better off signing Moustakas, Reed and JD Martinez now? I realize there not going to sign any of these players and the team will "mired in mediocrity" for another season.

Because next years free agent class is significantly better than this years, and why lose picks this year for lesser players that will make you marginally better?

It isnt hard to figure out, but you just want to dive right back into the mediocrity that we suffered through from 2007 through 2016