White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

What’s funny is if Baltimore really wanted to prevent Machado from going to the Yankees, they’d agree to a 72 hour window with us, the Cardinals, the Phillies, etc. Obviously it’s highly unlikely he’d agree to anything, but what if one of these teams offered him 10/$400M right now? This whole keep him from the Yankees priority is pretty stupid IMO. I get not trading him directly to them or allowing a team like us to spin him right away to them, but ultimately there is nothing they can do to prevent the Yankees from signing him next offseason. Might as well go the 72 hour route before proceeding down the path they’re already going down.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
What’s funny is if Baltimore really wanted to prevent Machado from going to the Yankees, they’d agree to a 72 hour window with us, the Cardinals, the Phillies, etc. Obviously it’s highly unlikely he’d agree to anything, but what if one of these teams offered him 10/$400M right now? This whole keep him from the Yankees priority is pretty stupid IMO. I get not trading him directly to them or allowing a team like us to spin him right away to them, but ultimately there is nothing they can do to prevent the Yankees from signing him next offseason. Might as well go the 72 hour route before proceeding down the path they’re already going down.

So true.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)

I don’t understand this criticism of Balt as unreasonable. For a 72 hr window to work there would have to be some inclination the player would do it and no word from Machados camp would indicate they will.

Very interesting to read what about Orioles fans expect to receive in return for Machado. A good chunk expect an Ozuna like package, which seem a little light to me. These fans typically believe they should have sold earlier on him and the return will reflect that of a one year rental. Others still believe they’ll get a four or five player package headlined by a couple stud prospects. When discussing the White Sox, these fans believe they’ll get Kopech or Giolito (or both) along with several more high-end prospects.

Just reading through these desired packages makes me extremely nervous. I still believe the price will be closer to the Ozuna return than something that would gut the system, but what would that actually look like for us? I’m guessing that Baltimore would require something like Cease & Dunning and that’s honestly too much of a pill for me to swallow. That’s two top 100 caliber prospects and would really eat away at our starting pitching depth. Now, if they’d consider something like Fulmer & Adams/Stephens I’d be game, but that just seems too light to me. I’m still perplexed how we could possibly be in the lead without including a single top prospect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
I don’t understand this criticism of Balt as unreasonable. For a 72 hr window to work there would have to be some inclination the player would do it and no word from Machados camp would indicate they will.

I don’t know, I find it incredibly hard to believe he wouldn’t hear a team out at least. He and his agent may go in with absolutely no intention of actually considering the offer received, but it would certainly seem to provide a piece of intel on how at least one team values him. I do M&A for a living and there have been multiple times we knew a target didn’t make sense or wasn’t a real possibility, but decided to hear them out anyways to gain access to their financials & operating practices. Agreeing to a 72 hour window costs Machado nothing, but could ultimately prove to be very valuable in the long-run.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
This was fun for about 30 hours.

Now it’s not.

Keep the faith. He'll be gone before Monday ( I hope ).... St. Louis just makes too much sense. Perhaps we get involved by adding a young cost controlled MLB guy for the Os and receive someone like Carson Kelly.

/me shrug

Everyone is in agreement the Sox will have to offer a similar contract to the contracts offered even if they traded for him and he loved the culture.

How about this. The Sox would have to pay him about $17 million in 2018 to show them how nice they are. Save that money, put it in the bank or buy some bitcoin futures with it, next offseason offer him the same contract as the other teams, yet add a $17 million bonus to year one. You save prospects, and money as you will make some interest, and you have an offer that can't be refused.

Cano took the most money, but even if the Sox offered the same next offseason, if they traded for him, they ultimately would have paid much more. His salary during a rebuilding season, and prospects. Just offer him more money than anyone else, in a way he can't say no.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
Everyone is in agreement the Sox will have to offer a similar contract to the contracts offered even if they traded for him and he loved the culture.

How about this. The Sox would have to pay him about $17 million in 2018 to show them how nice they are. Save that money, put it in the bank or buy some bitcoin futures with it, next offseason offer him the same contract as the other teams, yet add a $17 million bonus to year one. You save prospects, and money as you will make some interest, and you have an offer that can't be refused.

Cano took the most money, but even if the Sox offered the same next offseason, if they traded for him, they ultimately would have paid much more. His salary during a rebuilding season, and prospects. Just offer him more money than anyone else, in a way he can't say no.

Your idea makes sense to me. Are we missing something?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
I don't like how quiet things are. Makes me think they are serious about this lunacy.

Trading valuable prospects would be lunacy, but don't believe everything you read. People are getting all up in arms over Nightengale tweets- this is someone who hasn't had the greatest track record lately.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/al-r...do-red-sox.html

The offer the White Sox made to the Orioles for third baseman/shortstop Manny Machado did not include second baseman Yoan Moncada or rightyMichael Kopech, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes. It would’ve been a surprise to see the rebuilding White Sox consider parting with either player for only a year of control over Machado. The 22-year-old Moncada and Kopech, 21, were the crown jewels in the package they received last winter for Chris Sale, after all. Moncada, whom the White Sox promoted last July, will be their second baseman from the get-go next year. The flamethrowing Kopech reached Triple-A in 2017 and now ranks as MLB.com’s 10th-best prospect.

No s***