I think the Sox can get Quintana back

vilehoopster

I was watching Sports Talk last night, and Dave Kaplan pretty much dismissed Quintana as a quality pitcher. Kaplan talked about trading Quintana and this guy for that player or trade Quintana for that player; he gave like three trade ideas to help the Cubs and all three involved trading Quintana. Then he said something like about (not sure of quote but this is the idea) that Quintana's velocity is down, he did say "he is what he is" and that he was a "4th" pitcher if that. I just looked it up and Quintana is 0 and 4 with a 5.65 ERA in his last 7 starts. I think the Cubs want to get rid of him because . . .  

He's their embarrassment of the front office. Whether fair or not, the overwhelming majority of Sox fans blame Yonder and Jon Jay for not getting Machado. That feeling was very evident on this board, and still is, how people talk over and over about how stupid management was to get these guys to try to entice Machado. After he went to San Diego, most of us resented Jay and Alsonso being here and the online noise was and is loud. I think that's part of the reason why Yonder stunk it up so badly this year; he cracked under the pressure to justify that he was here. Maybe not, but the resentment was there and still is. 

I think the same thing has and is happening with Quintana. Cub fans resent and blame Quintana and they have put enormous pressure on him to justify that trade, and it has really gotten bad. I don't talk to too many Cubs fans, but Kaplan complains about that trade all the time. Mike Wilbon has complained about it on PTI twice that I have seen. After Cease won minors pitcher of the years awards, the complaining got worse, and gets worse with every home run Eloy sends into orbit. I think now the blame and pressure on Quintana greatly surpasses what Yonder and Jon Jay ever received. And I think Quintana is cracking. He is not liked by Cub fans and I have got to believe he wants out and the Cubs management wants him out.

The Cubs have the option to resign him for one year for $10.5 million. I don't think either party wants to do that for the reasons I mentioned above.

I think the Sox can get him for not very much when you consider the potential return. I say offer one of those outfielders in AA whom the Sox have been waiting to show something, offer one of those and someone significantly less, and I think the Sox can get him and his salary which I think the Cubs also want to get rid of. 

What do you think? I think if Quintana got back to the Sox, that would go a huge way in getting him back to what he was, if not, I would bet we can him a lot better than he is for the Cubs right now, and he would be a huge help to our pitching staff. 

• Like 1

There is a zero percent chance that Quintana's $10.5M option is not picked up unless he gets injured and will miss most of next season or gets hit by a bus.  ZERO PERCENT chance.

And what a blowhard like Kaplan thinks about Quintana is completely irrelevant.

I am all for the Sox resigning Quintana after 2020, though.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is a zero percent chance that Quintana's $10.5M option is not picked up unless he gets injured and will miss most of next season or gets hit by a bus.  ZERO PERCENT chance.

The fanbase will eviscerate Theo if they bring him back. They have Adam Dunn/Yonder Alonso levels of hate for Q. 

8 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I was watching Sports Talk last night, and Dave Kaplan pretty much dismissed Quintana as a quality pitcher. Kaplan talked about trading Quintana and this guy for that player or trade Quintana for that player; he gave like three trade ideas to help the Cubs and all three involved trading Quintana. Then he said something like about (not sure of quote but this is the idea) that Quintana's velocity is down, he did say "he is what he is" and that he was a "4th" pitcher if that. I just looked it up and Quintana is 0 and 4 with a 5.65 ERA in his last 7 starts. I think the Cubs want to get rid of him because . . .  

He's their embarrassment of the front office. Whether fair or not, the overwhelming majority of Sox fans blame Yonder and Jon Jay for not getting Machado. That feeling was very evident on this board, and still is, how people talk over and over about how stupid management was to get these guys to try to entice Machado. After he went to San Diego, most of us resented Jay and Alsonso being here and the online noise was and is loud. I think that's part of the reason why Yonder stunk it up so badly this year; he cracked under the pressure to justify that he was here. Maybe not, but the resentment was there and still is. 

I think the same thing has and is happening with Quintana. Cub fans resent and blame Quintana and they have put enormous pressure on him to justify that trade, and it has really gotten bad. I don't talk to too many Cubs fans, but Kaplan complains about that trade all the time. Mike Wilbon has complained about it on PTI twice that I have seen. After Cease won minors pitcher of the years awards, the complaining got worse, and gets worse with every home run Eloy sends into orbit. I think now the blame and pressure on Quintana greatly surpasses what Yonder and Jon Jay ever received. And I think Quintana is cracking. He is not liked by Cub fans and I have got to believe he wants out and the Cubs management wants him out.

The Cubs have the option to resign him for one year for $10.5 million. I don't think either party wants to do that for the reasons I mentioned above.

I think the Sox can get him for not very much when you consider the potential return. I say offer one of those outfielders in AA whom the Sox have been waiting to show something, offer one of those and someone significantly less, and I think the Sox can get him and his salary which I think the Cubs also want to get rid of. 

What do you think? I think if Quintana got back to the Sox, that would go a huge way in getting him back to what he was, if not, I would bet we can him a lot better than he is for the Cubs right now, and he would be a huge help to our pitching staff. 

I'd trade Colome and some lousy prospect for Quintana now. Would the Cubs do it or leave them a starter short? This would please the flip-happy fans. We can easily afford his contract and there's one less starter we have to acquire for the future. If Lopez can figure it out we may be getting somewhere with our future rotation. We can worry about the bullpen this offseason as modern fans tell us is the proper thing to do.

Edited by greg775

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'd trade Colome and some lousy prospect for Quintana now. Would the Cubs do it or leave them a starter short? This would please the flip-happy fans. We can easily afford his contract and there's one less starter we have to acquire for the future. If Lopez can figure it out we may be getting somewhere with our future rotation. We can worry about the bullpen this offseason as modern fans tell us is the proper thing to do.

If Adbert Alzolay shows he can stick over the next month, you could actually be onto something. I'd give it a one in a million chance of happening, but the logic at least tracks. 

Edited by mqr

54 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I like it

I think it is entirely plausible that the Cubs could move on from Quintana at a low price this offseason in order to move money elsewhere or go after another pitching target, and he would fill our need of a LH starter. However, it isn't a big, major upgrade with how he's pitching right now; he'd be more of a "Nova-like space filler". 

I still have never figured out how he collapsed so completely starting in 2017 (with the White Sox I note) without losing any obvious velocity until this year. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it is entirely plausible that the Cubs could move on from Quintana at a low price this offseason in order to move money elsewhere or go after another pitching target, and he would fill our need of a LH starter. However, it isn't a big, major upgrade with how he's pitching right now; he'd be more of a "Nova-like space filler". 

I still have never figured out how he collapsed so completely starting in 2017 (with the White Sox I note) without losing any obvious velocity until this year. 

Right you'd still pretty much have to sign Cole. Roll with Cole, Giolito, Cease, Kopech*, Quintana.

*If he needs to go to the minors to start the year, then Lopez I suppose.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

The fanbase will eviscerate Theo if they bring him back. They have Adam Dunn/Yonder Alonso levels of hate for Q. 

A) No one cares what the fanbase thinks

B) Theo should be fired if they dont extend the option. If they're done with Quintana, the move is to trade him, not let him walk for free. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cubs are going to go hard after Cole to replace Lester as the TOR workhorse. 

Forget Q. The Sox should go after Hamels on a two year deal.  

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I can't believe people think they don't exercise his 10.5m option. That's basically what we pay Ivan freaking Nova. Quintana will be on the Cubs unless they trade him.

They are up against the luxury tax. It might as well be a salary cap. Don't underestimate the value of payroll flexibility. 

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They are up against the luxury tax. It might as well be a salary cap. Don't underestimate the value of payroll flexibility. 

Even though they had to pay tax money last year along with the Yankees and Red Sox that didn't stop them from getting Kimbral and who knows who at the deadline. They may have changed their minds regarding it in an effort to win another series title.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

They know they could trade him, that's why he wouldn't be let go as a free agent. It wouldn't be a lot that we'd have to give up based on his current performance, but it wouldn't be 0. 

43 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Even though they had to pay tax money last year along with the Yankees and Red Sox that didn't stop them from getting Kimbral and who knows who at the deadline. They may have changed their minds regarding it in an effort to win another series title.

Zobrist's money disappearing is what allowed them to sign Kimbrel

6 hours ago, bmags said:

also danny duffy could be a cheap option. Royals may want to get out of the money, he's not that great, but would be a nice backend depth piece and I'd imagine would not cost a lot of prospect stock.

I don't have any problem with this but I can't think of one trade with KC that didn't end up horribly for the Sox.  But I could be remembering wrong?

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Weren't you the one asking us to take the Cubs talk to the Cubs forum earlier when we discussed how bad contracts could hurt our rebuild? 

Ya in a White Sox thread discussing Yonder Alonso you guys are off talking about Cubs players. 

This thread was literally about Quintana, and I responded to the OP question. 

This board spends so much time discussing meaningless Cubs bullshit it’s insane. I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you - it’s obviously not just you, and that was not my intention. Just gets annoying to weed through. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1