Sox vs Pittsburgh 8/25 game thread 7:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Stone just said he's never seen a connection/bond/relationship like the McCann/Giolito one in all his years in baseball.

I keep thinking McCann will be gone then comments like this make me think Sox and James will work something out somehow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Stone just said he's never seen a connection/bond/relationship like the McCann/Giolito one in all his years in baseball.

Man, what a problem the Sox have. How do you not bring back McCann after something like this? They really are in sync out there. Congrats to Gio. Fucking awesome game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Man, what a problem the Sox have. How do you not bring back McCann after something like this? They really are in sync out there. Congrats to Gio. Fucking awesome game.

I don't think McCann would have any interest in coming back; he has one chance to get paid and start somewhere to finish off his career. He's earned it. 

Plenty of great pitchers have had personal catchers, but their personal catchers weren't all-star caliber player. McCann has made himself a lot of money, and the Sox can't sink that much into catchers imo.

Pretty strong words from a former Cy Young winner with a half decade in baseball.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think McCann would have any interest in coming back; he has one chance to get paid and start somewhere to finish off his career. He's earned it. 

Plenty of great pitchers have had personal catchers, but their personal catchers weren't all-star caliber player. McCann has made himself a lot of money, and the Sox can't sink that much into catchers imo.

Pretty strong words from a former Cy Young winner with a half decade in baseball.

Tough to say.  We don't know how much he loves the city and team and how much importance that has on him and his family.  It also takes two to tango.  But seriously, If I'm the Sox, I extend him.  You do a 60/40 split and have each catcher DH on their non catching days.  You send EE to the moon.  If Gio keeps putting up games like his last two and McCann is catching him, you just simply don't fuck that up. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, soulfly said:

Tough to say.  We don't know how much he loves the city and team and how much importance that has on him and his family.  It also takes two to tango.  But seriously, If I'm the Sox, I extend him.  You do a 60/40 split and have each catcher DH on their non catching days.  You send EE to the moon.  If Gio keeps putting up games like his last two and McCann is catching him, you just simply don't fuck that up. 

Edwin isn’t the problem, Vaughn is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Grandal is also going to likely need more spells as he ages.

Not likely he sticks around but we shall see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Edwin isn’t the problem, Vaughn is the problem.

Yeah, and why would McCann want to sign somewhere to be a back-up? He was already pissed the Sox signed Grandal and that he wasn't starting; he's just been a pro about it. He doesn't want to stay here and catch 1 out of every 5 days I'd guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, and why would McCann want to sign somewhere to be a back-up? He was already pissed the Sox signed Grandal and that he wasn't starting; he's just been a pro about it. He doesn't want to stay here and catch 1 out of every 5 days I'd guess.

Yeah, I don’t see him coming back for a lot of reasons, with him wanting to be a starter being a big one and something we really can’t offer.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yep, totally agree Ray.  I'd love to have McCann back but someone is gonna pay him to be their starting catcher.  Actually he'll have multiple offers to choose from I'm sure.

Abreu made 3 plays that Vaughn in all likelihood couldn't make. Vaughn too short and lacks Abreu's flexibility and reach.

Mazara probably would not have made the play Engel did for the 27th out.

Could Collins have done this ?  Uh, no just no.

Great D by Timmy on several plays.

This feels like a regular baseball season now.

24 minutes ago, wegner said:

Yep, totally agree Ray.  I'd love to have McCann back but someone is gonna pay him to be their starting catcher.  Actually he'll have multiple offers to choose from I'm sure.

And heck, I'm happy for the guy. Really gotten to like McCann as a player and teammate in his time here. Ill hate to see him go but excited for him to get paid and rewarded for all his hard work.

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic