Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see how our OF could be considered a position of strength if Eloy is going to be DHing the majority of the time.

Robert

Vaughn

Engel

Hamilton

Goodwin

plus Eloy will still play LF some. I get that none of these guys gives you the left-handed power that Gallo brings, but I think a Goodwin/Engel platoon in RF with someone like Escobar at 2B gives you a better chance to win this year than Gallo in RF and a Garcia/Mendick platoon at 2B, especially if the former includes keeping Crochet.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Robert

Vaughn

Engel

Hamilton

Goodwin

plus Eloy will still play LF some. I get that none of these guys gives you the left-handed power that Gallo brings, but I think a Goodwin/Engel platoon in RF with someone like Escobar at 2B gives you a better chance to win this year than Gallo in RF and a Garcia/Mendick platoon at 2B, especially if the former includes keeping Crochet.

Gallo also fills your RF hole in 2022.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Burger isn’t going to be a headliner for Gallo IMO.  Lynn commanded a consensus top 100 prospect and he only had a year of control and has zero chance of getting you a comp pick if he leaves via free agency.  Gallo is way younger, doesn’t have the same injury risk a mid 30’s pitcher has, and also would eligible for a QO under the current CBA rules.  I think Gallo requires at minimum Crochet plus a second really nice piece.  I think Burger’s value is quickly rising, but his age and lack of track record will cause his value to be discounted to some extent.

I think when you are talking about a rental age doesn't matter Gallo is just as likely to get injured next year as Lynn is this year.  Was Dunning in the top 100 after being shelved for a while with TJ ?  Talking about the QO under the current system might not even matter going forward.

Differing on player value can never be resolved until the results are in so we shall see how it turns out.

7 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

When do you think we'll see some action?

Draft and All-Star game conclude today. Will we see a major move somewhere in the MLB Landscape by the end of this weekend?

Most of the action will be done in the final week. 2nd base has a ton of rental options of non contenders which is why the Sox arent too likely to up the ante very much with Escobar  when all the other teams with 2nd baseman are all itching to get rid of them for something/anything. There are likely 11 2nd basemen who can be traded because of being 2022 Free Agents if we count the Nats, Phils, and Cubs among those likely to trade theirs too and that's not counting Frazier .

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No, but I'm saying that Gallo isn't enough of an upgrade over Engel to be worth giving up someone like Crochet who can help the Sox win this year.

I agree with you.  Engel is becoming a player I want to see frequently.

7 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No, but I'm saying that Gallo isn't enough of an upgrade over Engel to be worth giving up someone like Crochet who can help the Sox win this year.

I wouldn't want to give up Crochet either if it can be done without him . We'll see if anyone meets the Rangers asking price or if Texas wants to hang onto him like they did Lynn .They should trade him .He's hotter than a pistol right now.

Here's another way of looking at it. Gallo is a 6 WAR player. The Rangers are going to expect a return reflecting that. Based on last year + this year, Engel is projecting out to be about a 3 WAR player. The Sox would only get half their value in a trade.

Despite Leury's resurgence, I think the better value is upgrading 2B and the bullpen and riding with the OF we have.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Here's another way of looking at it. Gallo is a 6 WAR player. The Rangers are going to expect a return reflecting that. Based on last year + this year, Engel is projecting out to be about a 3 WAR player. The Sox would only get half their value in a trade.

Despite Leury's resurgence, I think the better value is upgrading 2B and the bullpen and riding with the OF we have.

If my options are playing Engel in RF or Leury at 2B, I’m taking Adam 100%.  But assuming Engel is suddenly a 3 win player seems premature.  That also doesn’t consider the fact the dude frequently gets injured.  To me, Adam is  a tremendous 4th OF, but not someone I want to bank on being an everyday guy.

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You can't look at it isolation like that, otherwise MLB players would never be traded for prospects. Potential value plus contract and player control factor in as well.

Jason Kipnis anyone?

Count me in with those who would prefer we roll with our current outfield -- the surprisingly adequate group of unwanted misfits (Billy H. and B. Good, raise your hands), the getting to be very underrated Adam Engel, and the coming return of hopefully 80-90% + versions of uber talents like Eloy and Luis -- and look at 2B for the offensive upgrade. Tony loves Leuri, but he'll love him more as a super-sub IF and OF.

Also don't want to overpay for a few months and playoff worth of the kind of upgrade we'd get at 2B. Frazier will be far too costly given the additional year he brings; Story brings the name, but asking a SS to move to 2B and change leagues (plus the Coors effect - overrated IMO, but clearly it is at least a bit of a thing) will likely cost more in the way of prospects than most of us want to go; Escobar would be interesting as a rental, but the fact that he's not here already likely means Hahn and AZ are in the midst of a "who blinks first" match about the pool of prospects. Would protect all the young Turks on the MLB roster (Kopech, Crochet, Sheets, Burger) and maybe 5-6 farm guys (the three HS draftee starters, J-Rod, Cespedes, Bailey), but guys like Lambert, Stiever, Adolfo, L-Gon, Rutherford are all fair game. AZ is likely holding out for more and it's probably the blinking match with them would go down to the wire.

One possibly interesting name I haven't seen mentioned. Sure someone has, but I haven't seen it. Charlotte is currently playing Gwinnett (Braves AAA) -- they've got Yolmer (!), Ryan Goins (meh), and Jason Kipnis stashed away down there.

Kipnis might be worth a shot. Bring in a Chicago native who played in the AL Central at a high level for a very long time to see if adrenaline and one final opportunity for important games and playoff baseball gets something out of the dude. Upside is a professional left-handed bat with occasional pop. Lost some speed, but still a quality base runner. Downside is nothing better than adequate defense, although something to be said for playing a position he's played FOREVER. Braves would likely ask for Sheets/Burger -- to replace what they just lost for Joc -- but I'd dangle Burdi, and consider dangling names like Lambert, Stiever, or Pilkington (I'm higher on him than most -- bit of a forgotten man and doing well at a young age every step of the way). Pitchers with possible MLB upside might be of interest to an organization that values pitching and has no long-term connect to Kipnis.

Edit: Just saw Konnor Pilkington reference by Ron and Jimmy in 7/15 MILB thread. Based on his performance the last two years, and reports on the velo uptick and the legit change, I've got greater interest in him than guys like Lambert and Stiever. Love to see him get a chance to work with Katz and Dallas Keuchel (Buehrle too, while we're at it).

Edited by CyAcosta41
Just saw Pilkington reference in 7/15 MILB thread

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

No offense, but trading any of the aforementioned players for Kipnis would be frankly insane. Guys like him get dealt for cash considerations or a guy who repeats the instructional league for the 4th time.

Ha. No offense taken. Been around a loooooong time with a meagre post count by personal preference.

Don't think we're disagreeing much, although I think your "guys like him" are worth no more than cash considerations or pure lottery plays is hyperbolic.

Sox have a need. Braves have an asset with serious professional cred. He's not who he was with the Tribe, but he's got a shot to be +++ Leuri or Mendick down the stretch in one final swan song. 

Simply a question of what it will take. A vet like Kipnis -- one who won't cost a meaningful future piece -- is an asset I'm sure Hahn and Co. are considering. I'd easily trade Burdi for him. Guys like Burdi (post surgery Burdi) are a dime a dozen and there are always orgs that will take on 90th percentile gas thinking they'll be the ones to retool enough to make him better. I personally wouldn't trade the likes of Lambert, Stiever, or Pilkington for him -- not that I'm completely enamored of them, but instead know they're move valuable trade pieces in potentially bigger deals.