And That's A White Sox Winner on Lance Lynn Day!!!!!!!!!!

South Side Hit Men

Lucas is like, "Hey, I'm a stud as well!" and comes up with a gem. Burger hit's his first. Collins worked another great game with Lucas, adding a HR.

This could be the day SoxTalk is unified, everyone seems to have enjoyed the Lynn extension and game tonight.

Keep the Good Vibes and Winning going tomorrow!!!

• Like 2

Lucas gets stopped from using spidertack after 2 years. A few games later switches from fastball-changeup to fastball-changeup-slider (maybe minor curveball?). All clean. Has one bad start, then destroys his next 2 opponents using that slider. Luca$ is back.

I like Luca$ even more now. Go do this for the rest of your career dude. Buy yourself a trip to space when you retire.

• Thanks 3

I can’t say how big Luca$’s performance is. Without it…next tIme they got into trouble against the Astros would be “oh god not again”. That could even be in the playoffs.

Now, Timmy gets a leadoff double tomorrow and the feeling is “ok, let’s do this, plate him and Rodon is pitching.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Might be the best game I have personally been to.

Now trying to get back to the highway after the game has been a Royal pain in the ass

I found that to be the case the one game I went to and that was when it was still limited capacity....I don't envy you in traffic but do envy you seeing the Stros getting their butts kicked in person by our good guys.

Gio doing what a stopper does. Young bats showing that they intend to be reckoned with. TA not quite quietly looking like TA again. Team looking professional (except for Leury’s DTM moment (he seems to go through phases when he has those)) as it has all season long thus far.

**** the record against above .500 teams, get it done however you can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Lucas gets stopped from using spidertack after 2 years. A few games later switches from fastball-changeup to fastball-changeup-slider (maybe minor curveball?). All clean. Has one bad start, then destroys his next 2 opponents using that slider. Luca$ is back.

I like Luca$ even more now. Go do this for the rest of your career dude. Buy yourself a trip to space when you retire.

Pitch mix last night:

FB - 60%
CH - 19%
SL - 17%
CU - 6%

Season Avg

FB - 45%
CH - 35%
SL - 18%
CU - 2%

he’s been FB CH SL all year. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m not sure any of this is an accurate narrative.  Lucas’ usage rate on his slider was 17% yesterday vs. 18% YTD (and 15% the last two seasons).  Over his last eight starts it’s been at 19%, so slightly higher than last night. And a lot of that is attributable to a single start against the Tigers.  So the slider usage is up but not significantly.

Additionally, it’s the slider that has been the most impacted in terms of spin rate since the spidertack ban, being down ~6% vs. 2020 whereas his 4-seamer is only down ~2%.  So yeah, he was probably using something, but he didn’t suddenly think “fuck, I can’t use the sticky stuff anymore so I better start using my most impacted pitch way more frequently”.

Also, at least in terms of last night, it wasn’t that he was using the slider more, but using the changeup far less (19% vs. 35% YTD).  Again, this is just one start doesn’t imply a material change in usage since the spidertack ban.  Perhaps it implies some willingness to mix things up a bit more, but we need more than eight starts to draw any conclusions on him making a legit repertoire change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure any of this is an accurate narrative.  Lucas’ usage rate on his slider was 17% yesterday vs. 18% YTD (and 15% the last two seasons).  Over his last eight starts it’s been at 19%, so slightly higher than last night. And a lot of that is attributable to a single start against the Tigers.  So the slider usage is up but not significantly.

Additionally, it’s the slider that has been the most impacted in terms of spin rate since the spidertack ban, being down ~6% vs. 2020 whereas his 4-seamer is only down ~2%.  So yeah, he was probably using something, but he didn’t suddenly think “fuck, I can’t use the sticky stuff anymore so I better start using my most impacted pitch way more frequently”.

Also, at least in terms of last night, it wasn’t that he was using the slider more, but using the changeup far less (19% vs. 35% YTD).  Again, this is just one start doesn’t imply a material change in usage since the spidertack ban.  Perhaps it implies some willingness to mix things up a bit more, but we need more than eight starts to draw any conclusions on him making a legit repertoire change.

I will call myself genuinely surprised, I haven’t ever felt like I’ve seen him use the slider as an out pitch with that level of effect. Anywho, my bad, I saw that wrong.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will call myself genuinely surprised, I haven’t ever felt like I’ve seen him use the slider as an out pitch with that level of effect. Anywho, my bad, I saw that wrong.

Going back to the Boston game (pre-crackdown, of course), teams have been sitting on Gio‘s change, especially as an out pitch.  Yesterday is a prime example of Gio re-adjusting to the league’s adjusting to him.

Nice to see the HR's flying again and Gio get untracked. Doubtful Burger or Sheets will be around at all for the playoffs but imagine having that power on a consistent basis if Eloy returns to his former status as a hitter and Escobar is added. Then add in Robert if he can be the Robert we saw before his injury. Wouldn't even need his power but if we got it, look out.

Expecting Grandal to amp up to his usual self might be a little more challenging given how late he may actually return but I'm looking forward to it all.

I hope Burger finds a spot in the everyday lineup going forward because his bat is definitely translating.  

Does he take Lamb's spot next year even though he bats right?  I love Sheets too, but how many DH types can a team field?   Burger is more valuable because he can play 3rd. 

Another hot take is robot umps can't get here soon enough.  Collins can be an everyday catcher once you remove framing from the equation.

Edited by black jack