Luis Robert cleared for Rehab Assignment

maxjusttyped

8 hours ago, GradMc said:

No he isn't.

He is businessman who figured out a way to own sports teams and make googobs of money without being remotedly competitive.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

Reinsdorf would have played out eans ago in any other major city except Chicago.

The bar is set incredibly low in this town. One championship in 40 years - all of you apologists just need to quit.

And there are some on this board far more poignant in their disdain for this ownership group than me.

If you enjoy this product on the field and envision it as a perrenial contender, you better include ownership that is wiling to PAY for the realization of that vision.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

It's actually a hoot once you get past the projection, the strawmen, the gaslighting and the ad hominens.

Your hatred of JR apparently caused you to miss the point-  I included "like it or not" and "current definition" intentionally.  "Sportsman" in 2021 probably doesn't exist in the ownership realm.  In a world of corporate team ownership and insane team valuations, the idea of "affluent sportsmen" owning a team is incredibly outdated, and Reinsdorf and Ricketts being the closest thing to that concept in sports just shows how outdated and unrealistic that concept is.

No he isn't.

He is businessman who figured out a way to own sports teams and make googobs of money without being remotedly competitive.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

Reinsdorf would have played out eans ago in any other major city except Chicago.

The bar is set incredibly low in this town. One championship in 40 years - all of you apologists just need to quit.

And there are some on this board far more poignant in their disdain for this ownership group than me.

If you enjoy this product on the field and envision it as a perrenial contender, you better include ownership that is wiling to PAY for the realization of that vision.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

It's actually a hoot once you get past the projection, the strawmen, the gaslighting and the ad hominens.

The Dodgers won their first championship in 32 years. Magic Johnson and his group are not sportsmen. They must sell. The only true sportsmen in MLB are the Steinbrenners, although they seem to be off their game recently, the owners of the Red Sox, Giants, although both have been Reinsdorfing it in recent years. 

I do think JR needs to sell. The game has passed him by in more ways than one, but a sportsman wants to win, and I will never ever think JR didn't care about winning. He may have gone about it incorrectly. Hired the wrong people, signed the wrong players,  used the wrong logic, but winning was important. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Dodgers won their first championship in 32 years. Magic Johnson and his group are not sportsmen. They must sell. The only true sportsmen in MLB are the Steinbrenners, although they seem to be off their game recently, the owners of the Red Sox, Giants, although both have been Reinsdorfing it in recent years. 

I do think JR needs to sell. The game has passed him by in more ways than one, but a sportsman wants to win, and I will never ever think JR didn't care about winning. He may have gone about it incorrectly. Hired the wrong people, signed the wrong players, but winning was important. 

My Johnson is an affluent sportsman.

• Haha 1

No he isn't.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

Never been a JR fan/defender but this is an accurate description of like 90% of the owners of pro sports franchises and is in no way unique to Reinsdorf.

Edited by lostfan

9 hours ago, GradMc said:

No he isn't.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

Yea but the most of them talk about other things.  It's all you talk about, how Jerry ruins everything for you.  Like here, in a Luis Robert rehab thread, talking about JR being an affluent sportsman ffs

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, GradMc said:

No he isn't.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

Calm down, nerd....its just a game. No need to have so much ire towards somone you probably have never even met. Hit the showers.

The problem with Jerry is that while he may be able to turn tuppence into a Crown, he possesses neither the stick-to-itiveness, gumption, nor derring-do to be considered a sportsman -- or dare I say gentleman -- of even the meagerest order! To to the contrary, I've found his manner in polite company to be boorish, churlish and quite irregular. Now fetch my carriage lest I become unduly exercised.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea but the most of them talk about other things.  It's all you talk about, how Jerry ruins everything for you.  Like here, in a Luis Robert rehab thread, talking about JR being an affluent sportsman ffs

Come in, throw around a bunch of cliches and irrational anger, mix in a few internet words that the kids are using these days, and then meltdown.

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

Never been a JR fan/defender but this is an accurate description of like 90% of the owners of pro sports franchises and is in no way unique to Reinsdorf.

Every owner in sports is living the JR Model (TM). When it comes to making money, there are very few better, and that's all anyone who owns a baseball team cares about. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Every owner in sports is living the JR Model (TM). When it comes to making money, there are very few better, and that's all anyone who owns a baseball team cares about. 

Owners arent in this to make you giggle and happy, Its a high capital investment. Big boys know this, so should you.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Honestly, I don't think this is really true.  Jerry was rich by 1980's standards when they bought the Chicago teams, but a very large percentage of his wealth is literally his ownership stake in these two teams.  His net worth is estimated somewhere south of $2 billion as far as I can tell.  Most sports owners today are worth A LOT more, as just the act of buying a team is costing a billion or two for most of the big 4 professional sports franchises.  Guys buying teams now like Cohen and the Rickets are worth a lot more.  Honestly, I would guess that Jerry is probably on the lowest end of pro franchise sports owners in terms of net wealth.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, I don't think this is really true.  Jerry was rich by 1980's standards when they bought the Chicago teams, but a very large percentage of his wealth is literally his ownership stake in these two teams.  His net worth is estimated somewhere south of $2 billion as far as I can tell.  Most sports owners today are worth A LOT more, as just the act of buying a team is costing a billion or two for most of the big 4 professional sports franchises.  Guys buying teams now like Cohen and the Rickets are worth a lot more.  Honestly, I would guess that Jerry is probably on the lowest end of pro franchise sports owners in terms of net wealth.

correct. I would say few better have utilized their ownership stakes into more, including I'm assuming his knowledge of mlbam for stadium.

Biggest winner has to be that LA Dodgers owner who was completely under water from divorce, basically forced to sell, and somehow got 2 billion for them at the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You're right but not many guys have turned 20 mil into 3-4 billion just from owning sports teams. 

For better or worse (definitely worse) Jerry might be THE key figure in the total commodification of sports

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

correct. I would say few better have utilized their ownership stakes into more, including I'm assuming his knowledge of mlbam for stadium.

Biggest winner has to be that LA Dodgers owner who was completely under water from divorce, basically forced to sell, and somehow got 2 billion for them at the time.

And this was AFTER MLB figured out that he was using the club funds as a personal atm

23 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think Ricketts is attempting to take the JR Model (TM) to an entirely new level.

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

You're right but not many guys have turned 20 mil into 3-4 billion just from owning sports teams. 

For better or worse (definitely worse) Jerry might be THE key figure in the total commodification of sports

I'd put the Steinbrenners first, but he definitely got into the game at the PERFECT time.

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

So am I, though not looking forward to watching every Eloy/Robert defensive play, at-bat, and baserunning episode with abject terror 😂

To be perfectly honest I watch every pitch in abject terror after what's gone one this year

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The generated wealth of these franchises is tied to the debt associated with purchasing them.  While Rickets and Cohen have greater wealth then Reinsdorf, I think teh SOx and Bulls generated more wealth for JR then the other two at this point in time.

I am guessing on the Rickets Balance Sheet the cubs and surrounding projects in that area are a major drag.  The investment into buying the team, rehabbing the stadium and surrounding area is not covered by the operations of the team and entertainment entities. 

JR shouldn't have an issue in the world when it comes to his team's fiscal status and he's sitting $4B in invested assets with the Bulls and Sox free and clear of any debt. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The generated wealth of these franchises is tied to the debt associated with purchasing them.  While Rickets and Cohen have greater wealth then Reinsdorf, I think teh SOx and Bulls generated more wealth for JR then the other two at this point in time.

I am guessing on the Rickets Balance Sheet the cubs and surrounding projects in that area are a major drag.  The investment into buying the team, rehabbing the stadium and surrounding area is not covered by the operations of the team and entertainment entities. 

JR shouldn't have an issue in the world when it comes to his team's fiscal status and he's sitting $4B in invested assets with the Bulls and Sox free and clear of any debt. 

Except he didn't have that kind of pull if he is only worth $1.5 to $1.7 billion.