8/19 Gamethread: Oakland Athletics at Sox, 1:10, CSN

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I couldn’t be less impressed with A’s pitching this series.  I have no idea how they perform as well as they did.  That was garbage they were throwing to the plate today.

They pitch half their games in Oakland.

And they have a remarkable defense behind them.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I couldn’t be less impressed with A’s pitching this series.  I have no idea how they perform as well as they did.  That was garbage they were throwing to the plate today.

I was thinking the same, you guys are more knowledgeable about the game so I didn't want to look like a fool posting it

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

We’re dangerous. Totally different team with the bug guys back. Ones on the way still. Starting to gel.

Love it.

Murderers Row.  Anyone on the lineup can hit a homer at any time.  The three run homer is back in the arsenal.  Will be an exciting team to watch everywhere they go.  Sox popularity across the USA is rising.  FOD game success helped.

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Murderers Row.  Anyone on the lineup can hit a homer at any time.  The three run homer is back in the arsenal.  Will be an exciting team to watch everywhere they go.  Sox popularity across the USA is rising.  FOD game success helped.

Even today tying run on second with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and Eloy up to bat... He smoked that ball. We're never out of the game and it seems like it's never over until the last out.

Good things indeed. Missed the Kopech home run but that was the linchpin of this one it seems.

3 - 3 to start of this challenging stretch is a good start. Each of those 3 loses could have gone the other way too, if my memory is correct. Bring on the Rays.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Even today tying run on second with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and Eloy up to bat... He smoked that ball. We're never out of the game and it seems like it's never over until the last out.

Good things indeed. Missed the Kopech home run but that was the linchpin of this one it seems.

3 - 3 to start of this challenging stretch is a good start. Each of those 3 loses could have gone the other way too, if my memory is correct. Bring on the Rays.

It's 4-3, we just need to win 3 of the next 7 to make it out of this stretch at .500. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

It's 4-3, we just need to win 3 of the next 7 to make it out of this stretch at .500. 

Ah that's right, forgot we just played the A's in a four game set - thought it had only been 3. Thanks for pointing that out. Even better.

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The Kopech homer would not have happened if Vaughn would not have committed two errors in one; one by not letting the grounder go to Hernández and the second a bad throw to first.  Olson hit the homer with 2 outs and 2 unearned runs resulted.  If Abreu would have been playing first instead, that error would not have happened. But shit happens!

18 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

The Kopech homer would not have happened if Vaughn would not have committed two errors in one; one by not letting the grounder go to Hernández and the second a bad throw to first.  Olson hit the homer with 2 outs and 2 unearned runs resulted.  If Abreu would have been playing first instead, that error would not have happened. But shit happens!

They called that play a hit so both runs were earned. Surely that should be changed.

Defense is going to make mistakes.  

The Cease bases loaded walk and piss poor hitting from Hernandez and Moncada are why they lost.

I look at the pitching matchups for Tampa and hope this lineup is rearranged to be more consistent.

The Sox have still not seen great pitching in a while and won't this weekend....at least from the Rays starters.  Although the Sox cannot seem to jump on a starter early. 

• Like 1

That would be neat if Vaughn got really hot and finished with 25 homers. I realize he's got some work to do, but 15 isn't half bad. Anybody else getting the feeling it's the same ol story for the Sox (and most teams). If Abreu, Robert, Vaughn and Eloy and Grandal (even Timmy) hit HRs the Sox will be the story of the postseason but if they don't the Sox will bow out early.

The team is in place to win now if the team hits HRs and if the three relievers excel. Would be nice if we had a warm weather postseason, too.