The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Can we stop characterizing the making of proposals and options as trying to "sneak shit in."  As far as everything that's being reported, it sounds like MLB is trying to be flexible and creative to get a deal done.  And yes, of course some of these things benefit their side.  That's a negotiation.  I think a lot of people have become so anti-owner in this whole thing that they can't see what's happening objectively.

Someone just reported the international draft has been in all offers

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Can we stop characterizing the making of proposals and options as trying to "sneak shit in."  As far as everything that's being reported, it sounds like MLB is trying to be flexible and creative to get a deal done.  And yes, of course some of these things benefit their side.  That's a negotiation.  I think a lot of people have become so anti-owner in this whole thing that they can't see what's happening objectively.

The owners have a long history of this.  The players didn't agree to the cbt to act as a hard cap, they didn't agree to service time manipulation, they didn't agree to teams pocketing revenue sharing money, they didn't agree to FA compensation that restricts FA spending, etc.  These are all loopholes the owners exploited because the players didn't think of the consequenes. Hopefully they finally learned their lesson.    

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Why don't Americans get afforded the same flexibility then? In what other major sports league can a player just go wherever they want? Just international soccer I think (if it's even the case with the EPL, I believe it is).

In soccer leagues overseas, young players do have the ability to go wherever they want.

As a result, pretty much every European league is top-heavy, with the same ~2 or so teams winning the title each and every year.

Germany = Bayern Munich

Spain = Real Madrid or Barcelona

France = Paris Saint Germain

Giving youngsters complete free agency would trash competitive balance in MLB. It might cause a team or two to fold, as they do more frequently in soccer leagues in Europe.

That aside, the current system in Latin America for baseball is trash. It places children in harms way, traffics them, and fails to protect them. They had every opportunity to reform, but the buscones, agents, and trainers failed to do so.

So here we are, with like the ONE ISSUE that the fans favor MLB over the PA, with the draft. Im all in for a draft, if it ends the exploitation of children.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

In soccer leagues overseas, young players do have the ability to go wherever they want.

As a result, pretty much every European league is top-heavy, with the same ~2 or so teams winning the title each and every year.

Germany = Bayern Munich

Giving youngsters complete free agency would trash competitive balance in MLB. It might cause a team or two to fold, as they do more frequently in soccer leagues in Europe.

That aside, the current system in Latin America for baseball is trash. It places children in harms way, traffics them, and fails to protect them. They had every opportunity to reform, but the buscones, agents, and trainers failed to do so.

So here we are, with like the ONE ISSUE that the fans favor MLB over the PA, with the draft. Im all in for a draft, if it ends the exploitation of children.

Agreed

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Germany = Bayern Munich

I think that they should give teams signing pool money like they do for the slots in the draft and let players sign wherever they want. 

As long as the signing pools are distributed by record each year, I don't think it would change much. The worst teams can offer the best players the most money. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that they should give teams signing pool money like they do for the slots in the draft and let players sign wherever they want. 

As long as the signing pools are distributed by record each year, I don't think it would change much. The worst teams can offer the best players the most money. 

Isn't that exactly the setup that is failing right now?

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jack, two questions:

1. How would your proposed solution differ from the current, exploitative system?

2. More importantly, how would your proposal, IN ANY WAY, prevent abuses, prevent child exploitation, and end "pre-agreements" and other under the table gamesmanship?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

7 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

I don’t have a strong preference one way or the other, but the current structure allowed a psychopath agent with a gun to keep the Sox from signing Starling Marte so maybe it could use an overhaul 🤷‍♂

Wait, what?

How did I miss this?

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

but they never tied it to the elimination of the QO before today.

I wouldn't call that sneaking it in though. Just their negotiation plan. Probably did it because the players' position on this specific issue doesn't make a ton of sense. The only argument against the international draft is doing it too soon. People are flipping on the players over this. If this breaks down the negotiations it will be ugly.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I wouldn't call that sneaking it in though. Just their negotiation plan. Probably did it because the players' position on this specific issue doesn't make a ton of sense. The only argument against the international draft is doing it too soon. People are flipping on the players over this. If this breaks down the negotiations it will be ugly.

agreed.  Also, GO WOLVES!

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So we should hurt the competitive balance of the game instead?  How is that the answer?

Why would it hurt the competitive balance? Players could go to an organization where they have the best chance at advancing to MLB. Why would someone join the Dodgers if their path is blocked by an All Star? But if they are drafted by LA their career is blocked.

• Like 1