Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Given that Rick will give these same BS contracts out next off-season and the one after that, the point will continue to be accurate. 

Picking up Kimbrel's option was a  huge fuck up by Rick, there is no denying that. 

But to assume that his salary slot would automatically be turned over to one single guy +$4 million is being naïve when it comes to understanding White Sox financials.   

Edited by HOFHurt35

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Who knew Keuchel and Grandal would encompass the entirity of "supplementing this core financially" from Hahn in Free-Agency three years ago.

If you would have told me when the rebuild started that the Sox weren't going to break the 100 million dollar threshold on any player in FA to support the rebuild I would have thought you were crazy. Now I know I was probably the crazy one.

“The money will be spent” on relievers 🤣 

I’m still holding onto faith that no news is good news when it comes to Whitesox negotiations 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That 0.0 WAR last year says otherwise. I get the other moves, but this idea aint it.

I'm not starting Niko Goodrum. He's my utility guy. Good baserunner. Can play every position on the diamond. Maybe he gets lucky and has a mediocre offensive year. 

Honestly I'd probably sign Cesar to be my starting 2B if I knew this was where we were at, and I'd be 4 million over Hahn's budget. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Reds aren't tanking. There's no end goal here for them. They're just... not spending regardless of their draft pick lol. 

It seems like certain owners are having a fire sale on purpose to try to prove a point. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They have $18.6 million under the tax before anyone goes in the IL and spent $6 million at the deadline last year. 

Too risk adverse to offer Rodon the qualifying offer, which he never would have accepted. But not risk adverse enough to avoid getting stuck with a 16M reliever they don't need or want sure would be quite something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bringing Kimbrel back looks like a huge mistake right now. 

It always was. The guy has very little surplus value cause he's getting paid $16 million. The reliever market was also pretty loaded this off-season. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It always was. The guy has very little surplus value cause he's getting paid $16 million. The reliever market was also pretty loaded this off-season. 

I also agree, and it seems that if Kimbrel was going anywhere it would have happened already. 

They're too close to the tax to sign a major FA right now. 

It looks like the team in ST right now is the team they're going to war with. 

The only hope for a RF upgrade is a Bryan Reynolds for Vaughn+ trade right now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

I’m at the point where I hope that another team signs Joc Pederson soon so the White Sox don’t. They need to think bigger than that. 

You might get your wish considering McCutchen just signed with Milwaukee. Maybe some of the mid and low tier OF FAs will start signing. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Too bad there isn't another team out there that overvalues relievers to the extent that the Sox do

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I’m at the point where I hope that another team signs Joc Pederson soon so the White Sox don’t. They need to think bigger than that. 

I'm with you, but I also don't think that would force their hand to aim higher. If the Joc & Rosario types sign elsewhere, I think we'd then see RF just get split between Sheets, Vaughn, Engel, & Leury. Maybe even Adolfo would get a chance to stick if rosters are expanded in April.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I'm with you, but I also don't think that would force their hand to aim higher. If the Joc & Rosario types sign elsewhere, I think we'd then see RF just get split between Sheets, Vaughn, Engel, & Leury. Maybe even Adolfo would get a chance to stick if rosters are expanded in April.

At this point it's probably Joc/Rosario or nothing.

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

That's probably happening regardless. They're going to go into yet another season with a massive hole in RF. 

Unless they somehow find a way to move Kimbrel, they're stuck with what they have. This is it. There will be no SP or RF help. 

They're incredibly thin at SP and have a hole at 5th starter and RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's probably happening regardless. They're going to go into yet another season with a massive hole in RF. 

Unless they somehow find a way to move Kimbrel, they're stuck with what they have. This is it. There will be no SP or RF help. 

Just trying to think rationally, I don't think they would have picked up Kimbrel's option without knowing he has some trade value. Fegan & others have reported they surveyed the market on that before officially picking it up. However, I don't think the way they value relievers is rational at all, so maybe they're fine with ultimately keeping him.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is weird because the Kimbrel move was going for the jugular.  Seems odd to make that move if things weren’t coming in the offseason.

Right, at this point, it isn’t even fair to accuse the Sox of being cheap. They’ve spent the money, they’ve made the trades — the problem is that the last 6-7 transactions they’ve made range from ugly to completely indefensible, even in the moments right after they were made.

It’s not that they aren’t trying, they’re just fucking it up. They’ve rushed to “beat the market” and spent money on free agents they didn’t need, when there were reams of better players available that played positions at hey DID need. Whenever a normal team has a logjam of MLB-ready prospects at a position, they trade them to fill holes elsewhere — the white Sox have instead decided that they have to keep them all and just play them out of position. It’s brutal to watch. Yes, the team is really good but it could be SO much better and it would have required nothing even remotely clever. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I also agree, and it seems that if Kimbrel was going anywhere it would have happened already. 

They're too close to the tax to sign a major FA right now. 

It looks like the team in ST right now is the team they're going to war with. 

The only hope for a RF upgrade is a Bryan Reynolds for Vaughn+ trade right now. 

Id be very okay with a Bryan Reynolds for Andrew Vaughn + package I’d hope Hahn and the Pirates felt the same way 

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right, at this point, it isn’t even fair to accuse the Sox of being cheap. They’ve spent the money, they’ve made the trades — the problem is that the last 6-7 transactions they’ve made range from ugly to completely indefensible, even in the moments right after they were made.

It’s not that they aren’t trying, they’re just fucking it up. They’ve rushed to “beat the market” and spent money on free agents they didn’t need, when there were reams of better players available that played positions at hey DID need. Whenever a normal team has a logjam of MLB-ready prospects at a position, they trade them to fill holes elsewhere — the white Sox have instead decided that they have to keep them all and just play them out of position. It’s brutal to watch. Yes, the team is really good but it could be SO much better and it would have required nothing even remotely clever. 

They're completely mismanaging the roster. 

It is totally unfair to call them cheap, but the way they're spending their money is just completely unacceptable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It's honestly as if Hahn had to tear down the Sale/Q team that was stars and scrubs and decided that the way to avoid having stars and scrubs is to sign a ton of scrubs instead of a single star. I guess he figures if you acquire 10 scrubs maybe one will surprise you.