Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Conforto's 3 year ZiPS projection

2022: 2.4 WAR

2023: 2.5 WAR

2024: 2 WAR

I'm gonna assume 2025 is gonna be sub-2 WAR. 

So in all, you're getting around 9 WAR the next 4 years. If the asking price really is 4 years and $88 million, I can see why the Sox would be hesitant. But that does not excuse how they've mis-allocated funds so far this off-season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, almagest said:

Seems like no one is going to 4 years with Conforto, otherwise he'd have signed elsewhere already. 4/80 <-> 4/100 seems like a fine place to settle, though. I also don't get that, unless he has serious injury or productivity falloff concerns. He'd be 32 at the end of that deal, so age shouldn't be a concern.

Yeah, I thought he was already 30...

Doesn't matter, because while they're totally comfortable splashing $16MM/per on a closer they don't need, $20+MM/Per is just "too much" for an everyday player.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I said that a couple days ago. If that doesn't get it done, then fuck it, but it should.

I figured a 5th year would be the ask and the hangup.  But if its only 4 there is no damned reason not to lock that up.  Just asinine.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

So in all, you're getting around 9 WAR the next 4 years. If the asking price really is 4 years and $88 million, I can see why the Sox would be hesitant. But that does not excuse how they've mis-allocated funds so far this off-season. 

it's going to cost more per WAR to improve a 92 win team than a 75 one almost every time. That's just where we are at. Yes it's "expensive" but winning is expensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They're trying to win the WS, not the $/WAR title. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You have me at a disadvantage . You're a mod and I am not. You're allowed to be feisty ( a word I chose carefully) and insulting .I got suspended for it. So I won't go that route with you.

Oh right Yea that gets the big thumbs up from me 👍 (imagine this but very big)

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it's going to cost more per WAR to improve a 92 win team than a 75 one almost every time. That's just where we are at. Yes it's "expensive" but winning is expensive.

Mumbles something about 2015 and tarring and feathering Rick Hahn and moves on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're trying to win the WS, not the $/WAR title. 

Don't worry, Rick Hahn has made sure we're not gonna win that title with how we've spent money this off-season. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Honestly, this window is like 3 years right now, if the 4th year of that contract  sucked so be it.  I know that’s not how the Sox are looking at things and I know we want to have a sustained run but this is where we’re at right now imo.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Thats how I started bc i knew ole cheap JR wouldn't open the wallet for any of the bigger names 

Look, much of the board is now having the same meltdown i had weeks/months ago.

I've settled into the level of "acceptance" already, so Pederson doesn't bother me as much as it should. 

So while the "rebuilding" scrubs get Stroman and Suzuki, the "contending" white sox get Pederson and Velasquez. This is fine.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Again: why would you sign a 1.5 WAR aging FA in order to jettison a 1.5 WAR younger, could still improve player you have under team control?

I think the point of signing any extra OFers is so that in case anyone gets hurt again (which we know probably will happen again), we won't be picking guys off the scrap heap to fill in. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Again: why would you sign a 1.5 WAR aging FA in order to jettison a 1.5 WAR younger, could still improve player you have under team control?

Because presumably you’re getting something of value by trading the younger one, not jettisoning them? 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He probably wanted to go back to Atlanta. But they were so adamant about that 6th year that Atlanta said fuck it and traded for Olson. Now he might not get that 6th year with another team.