Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, if Hahn doesn’t complete this roster and it costs us, I pray SoxFest comes back next year and he gets torched alive.  That being said, hopefully he does the right thing and it doesn’t come to that.

For sure. But when it comes to Sheets we're going to have a -15 DRS player out there. It's going to be brutal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Beyond the infamous “smirk” I’ve rambled on about multiple times, Hahn purposely stated they were done with 2B additions after adding Harrison.  If they were capped out money wise and had no plans of adding to the offense, why not just say that at that time instead of letting expectations get too high?

Also, the other factor that makes me optimistic is how Hahn has talked about Vaughn.  Not only has he been mentioned as a possibly of getting some starts at 2B, but Hahn also discussed Vaughn getting time down in Charlotte.  The only way that makes sense is if a legit RF is added.

The Hahn press conference smirk will be the next statue on 35th.

But as for reading into Vaughn and Charlotte, I don't know about that. It's good reasoning, but I'd still not count on it as the Sox are hard to predict. They're always mum about their plans and, as I said earlier, they're more reactive than strategic. I'm almost always surprised by what they do*

*exceptions for putting a #1 pick in the bullpen and making a splash in the relievers market

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

He has sources...after a while it seems all of us are trying to wish a move into existence despite being told it’s not happening

True.

There is the distinct possibility they knew the market for FA OF was starting at 5-7 years and 125 and they just decided they would use the resources elsewhere.

I know many think they got caught with their pants down or misread the market. Maybe they knew the market and that's why they went elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Stoney

Well Stoney did say that they will be entertaining trade offers for Kimbrel so I’m thinking trades are still a possibility but just not free agent signings. Sounds like all the top free agents have been asking for opt outs and that’s why they will not be signing any.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

True.

There is the distinct possibility they knew the market for FA OF was starting at 5-7 years and 125 and they just decided they would use the resources elsewhere.

I know many think they got caught with their pants down or misread the market. Maybe they knew the market and that's why they went elsewhere. 

I mean Hahn actually said they misread the market before the lockout and didn't expect all those signings and offers out there.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even still, the white Sox can either give out something big league ready (difficult to do this year) or they can give up something rather away…which has some chance of blossoming into something they wished they hadn’t given up.

Here’s the thing…it would be really stupid to keep all three of Vaughn, Sheets, & Burger.  One of those guys should be used to address a weakness elsewhere since they can’t all get playing time.  Up to Hahn to figure out who that is and find a trade partner.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean Hahn actually said they misread the market before the lockout and didn't expect all those signings and offers out there.

Correct. But I meant after the lockout and after that. Once they equalized what the market was, they went elsewhere once they were allowed to sign again.

So the last couple of weeks when everyone has been saying they are signing RP help and not an OF.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s the thing…it would be really stupid to keep all three of Vaughn, Sheets, & Burger.  One of those guys should be used to address a weakness elsewhere since they can’t all get playing time.  Up to Hahn to figure out who that is and find a trade partner.

Do you think Burger gets Manea? (Even with Adolfo added)?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Correct. But I meant after the lockout and after that. Once they equalized what the market was, they went elsewhere once they were allowed to sign again.

So the last couple of weeks when everyone has been saying they are signing RP help and not an OF.

I have been saying the Sox aren't signing any of those guys. They should, but no chance they do. They instead did what they always do and wasted a ton of money on guys, some of which have a very good chance of being bad enough to be DFA'ed mid year.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Occam's razor mandates that they got caught with their pants down.

They HAD TO have known the budget before they decided to pickup Kimbrel/not offer Rodon. Even before the new CBA, a prudent man would have known that Kimbrel's obese option could have squeezed the budget. And thus, prevented swift action on bigger priorities, such as an everyday OFer, or desperately needed SP depth. (Rodon could have been that depth if he accepted, or if he rejected, there would have been the CBT space to maneuver.)

And yes, while the "ideal options" of Conforto or Bryant were going to be expensive, Suzuki was in their price range, and FFS, even $6MM for an actual MLB-caliber Pederson is fucking affordable all 30 MLB teams.

Instead? Another $41MM on RP contracts, and $5.5MM on a RHH fossil for 2B is the best they could do?

They did a poor job planning, they've squandered resources, and prioritized the wrong things, full stop.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, at least 2004-05 made sense in retrospect.  Go away from the bloated salaries of Maggs, El Caballo and Valentin to allocate the money across more guys.  Manufacturing runs at the top with Pods and Iguchi.  Two huge pitching additions the year before, with Contreras totally under the radar.  El Duque for leadership.  Dye and AJ at a massive discount.  Bullpen by committee with Hermanson, Takatsu, Jenks, Politte, Marte and Cotts.  Everett in the leadership mix as well.

All for $65 million, at least the Opening Day payroll.

But that was a one year philosophy to become 'more athletic' or something like this. They felt the Frank/Maggs/Lee/Konerko thing was stagnant and they couldn't deal with Jacque Jones chopping the ball of the plate, so they overhauled everything in one year. So it was still purely reactive. They immediately said 'to hell with that' and traded Rowand for Thome (essentially a panic move to get Frank back) and then put Anderson and that goofball Mackowiak in center. And as always had their blue chip pitching prospect (McCarthy) in the bullpen. 2007 was a mess, and then 2008 was Alexei and Ken Griffey Jr, more fun in center with BA and Nick Swisher (their first dabble in Moneyball). Rowand and Uribe went on to win a World Series with the Giants. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You can have his defense and I'll take his (lack of) hitting.  

No one insults Gavin. Prepare to have #32 hanging from the rafters (if/when we install them)

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The point of making the playoffs is to hope to eventually winning it all right? If the expectation is to only win a bunch of regular season games and secure a playoff spot with no expectations of outcome, then sure, they will do fine the next 3 years.

Dangling that carrot , the Reinsdorf way.

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think that's even worse:

They had a further 99 days to re-calibrate and to re-adjust their views on the market. And what? A pre-injured RP and a 2B who's probably a DFA candidate is all they could do?

FFS, even with the initial stumbles, the 99 days should have given them time to get their heads and asses rewired.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have been saying the Sox aren't signing any of those guys. They should, but no chance they do. They instead did what they always do and wasted a ton of money on guys, some of which have a very good chance of being bad enough to be DFA'ed mid year.

Just depends on your perspective. If the the big market contracts are out of reach, you go elsewhere.